The Political Lounge

Who wins these governor's elections?

vcczar

Who wins these governor's elections?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Virginia (toss up)

• McAuliffe will win despite Biden's plunging popularity and momentum going slightly to Youngkin in recent polls. He might also be helped by a conservative 3rd party draining a few votes.
    • Youngkin was prove the polls correct that momentum is giving him a slight lead.
  2. 2. New Jersey (solid Blue)

• Murphy will win as expected
    • Ciattarelli is improving in the polls and will score an upset, embarrassing the pollsters.

46 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm getting pessimistic about VA. I hope I'm wrong. Nothing is going well for Democrats. 

I was pessimistic about Youngkin's chances until recently with news about his momentum and enthusiasm (especially when compared to McAuliffe). Now I think it'll likely come down to the wire it slightly favoring Youngkin.

3 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I was pessimistic about Youngkin's chances until recently with news about his momentum and enthusiasm (especially when compared to McAuliffe). Now I think it'll likely come down to the wire it slightly favoring Youngkin.

Yeah, that's what the polls are showing. 

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Mind you, from what I've gathered in the past, Virginia has a long history of boring, Establishment politicians who are, "major and viable." Has that changed this election?

The GOP candidate is a conservative business guy. So he's an outsider. McAuliffe is a former governor and a Clinton Democrat. He was the governor during the Charlottesville episode during Trump's presidency. He was big in getting Confederate statues removed. 

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Is this GOP business guy a, "big ideas," business guy who may not fully work well with the limits of politics and government, like Trump, Yang, or Perot, or someone more realistically minded, like Bloomberg?

I think he's probably more like a Trump-supporting Bloomberg, except not nearly as successful and powerful as Bloomberg. His net worth is $440 million, so he's kind of like Mitt Romney in wealth. 

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Isn't the Liberation Party in Virginia one of the splinter-parties when the Black Panthers broke apart, like the Freedom Party of New York, Liberty Party of Illinois, the Umoja Party of the District of Columbia, many components of the the erstwhile New Alliance Party of 1988 and of the Peace and Justice Party, etc.?

This particular iteration is actually a personal vehicle for Blanding but it is not dissimilar to those variations.

46 minutes ago, Dobs said:

@vcczar About the "conservative 3rd party", the only third party candidate is Princess Blanding of the Left to Far-Left Liberation Party. I don't think she'll be stealing votes from Youngkin any time soon lol.

Praise the lord. I want to see McAuliffe gone more than any other governor not named Whitmer, Newsom or Cuomo.

Though I still give McAuliffe a +3.0 edge due to Virginia being a solid blue state for nearly two decades, and will only consider the race tied if Youngkin leads by 3%.

3 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Praise the lord. I want to see McAuliffe gone more than any other governor not named Whitmer, Newsom or Cuomo.

Though I still give McAuliffe a +3.0 edge due to Virginia being a solid blue state for nearly two decades, and will only consider the race tied if Youngkin leads by 3%.

McAuliffe isn't the incumbent.