The Political Lounge

Automating the Excel Page: Progress Report

Legis Senate Tab: Created drop down menus, automatically generating Faction names, Legislative abilities, debater, and disharmonious.  Converted Senate phases into roman numerals because I thought that would be easier to glance at but I may have been wrong.

Tried automatically generating "Easily Overwhelmed" but something went wrong with some of the entries and I can't figure it out right now so I think it's probably time for bed. Ha.  Will figure it out tomorrow.

Fixed the Easily Overwhelmed error, now that I've gotten enough sleep.  ;c)  Also discovered a small oversight in some of my other formulas on that page and fixed them -- 99% of the time, it didn't matter...but for 1% of the politicians, it wouldn't have worked correctly.  Now it works for all of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Fixed the Easily Overwhelmed error, now that I've gotten enough sleep.  ;c)  Also discovered a small oversight in some of my other formulas on that page and fixed them -- 99% of the time, it didn't matter...but for 1% of the politicians, it wouldn't have worked correctly.  Now it works for all of them.

What’s left to do?

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What’s left to do?

Mostly just plugging in the appropriate formula into all the spots in all the sheets that we want something to automatically appear.

I know "how" to do it now, which was the real hurdle.

Now it's just a matter of actually doing it -- which is slow, because the formula needs minor tweaks for each individual trait, but not difficult.

Working on the Governor Elections page now, it's coming along nicely.

Thought calculating the number of Kingmakers a faction has in each state would be a real hurdle, as it requires checking two seperate cells (State and Kingmaker) in every row, and calculating the number of matches.  

But I figured it out!

• Like 1
  • Based 1

Governor election primaries are done and fully automated! Or, more accurately, the non-primaries are done and fully automated.  I’ll build the primaries automation once we reach the primaries.

Once I get the Governor General election done, 90% of that page should be copy/paste (in theory) for the House and Senate elections.  We’re getting close!

Question for the group:  once I’m finished with all the automations, is there more interest in:

1) continuing our game where we left off?

2) Starting over at the start of the revolutionary period?

3) Starting over at 1788 (Washington’s election?)

4) Starting over at 2020?

5) Starting over at some other time period?

@vcczar @Hestia @Rezi @Rodja @Cal @DakotaHale @ConservativeElector2 @jvikings1

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Governor election primaries are done and fully automated! Or, more accurately, the non-primaries are done and fully automated.  I’ll build the primaries automation once we reach the primaries.

Once I get the Governor General election done, 90% of that page should be copy/paste (in theory) for the House and Senate elections.  We’re getting close!

Question for the group:  once I’m finished with all the automations, is there more interest in:

My personal vote would be to start over at 2020 or like 2000-sometime to the present. I think it would be really interesting and test a new phase. Beyond that, I would be perfectly comfortable continuing where we were. The other two options I'm less enthusiastic about 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

3 minutes ago, Hestia said:

My personal vote would be to start over at 2020 or like 2000-sometime to the present. I think it would be really interesting and test a new phase. Beyond that, I would be perfectly comfortable continuing where we were. The other two options I'm less enthusiastic about 🙂

I'd prefer if you don't start at 2020 because there's a chance Era of the Future won't be part of the game as it currently exists. 

My preference is for either continuing the game or starting over. Setting up in a new era is kind of a hassle and we really need the playtest to get moving. For this reason, continuing the game is best. I'll leave it up to you, but I think continuing will help me the most. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Sounds good.  Continuing where we left off is easiest for me on the automation front, and as that’s the preference for Vcczar, at least some of the other players, and nobody has voiced an objection, we’ll continue with the current game

Me showing up to a random wedding where I don’t know anybody just to say “I object”

9C808083-23D5-4354-BBE2-3B34A3C93838.gif.255247075b5e18bd64f0e004d75afb04.gif

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I love watching you discover new tricks in Excel lol. Wholesome dad vibes

I'm afraid I failed at this one.  I can automatically pull whether term limits exist, and what the candidate's current job title is (to check for incumbency)... but I thought I could count how many 2-year terms a candidate has previously served as Governor from the History tab.  

I'm sure it's possible, but I'm failing at it.  Ha.  Moving on to the next thing on my Excel to-do list.

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'm afraid I failed at this one.  I can automatically pull whether term limits exist, and what the candidate's current job title is (to check for incumbency)... but I thought I could count how many 2-year terms a candidate has previously served as Governor from the History tab.  

I'm sure it's possible, but I'm failing at it.  Ha.  Moving on to the next thing on my Excel to-do list.

Your light-years ahead of where I could take this, so don't beat yourself up about it.

• Like 1

My crowning achievement of the day:  I've figured out how to pair VLOOKUP with COUNTIF functions, to automatically check if a governor candidate has both Celebrity "and" military leader, which earns them a +1 in elections.

My goal today is to finish the Governor elections, which has been the most complicated section so far.  I've learned like twenty different new excel skillsets just for this one task.

But once that's done, 95% of it should be copy/paste for the Senate elections and House elections tabs.

• Like 2