The Political Lounge

Automating the Excel Page: Progress Report

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

My crowning achievement of the day:  I've figured out how to pair VLOOKUP with COUNTIF functions, to automatically check if a governor candidate has both Celebrity "and" military leader, which earns them a +1 in elections.

My goal today is to finish the Governor elections, which has been the most complicated section so far.  I've learned like twenty different new excel skillsets just for this one task.

But once that's done, 95% of it should be copy/paste for the Senate elections and House elections tabs.

Do you intend to try and automate any of the legislative vote shifting stuff?

21 minutes ago, Cal said:

Do you intend to try and automate any of the legislative vote shifting stuff?

I already have -- kind of.  I've got the Senate and House tabs set up to automatically display the relevant traits for each politician.  I'll still have to roll the dice for each one (dice rolls can be automated too, but not in the way I want them to be), but it's better than looking up every politician that has debate across all ten factions, and then every politician that has puritan across all ten factions, and then every politician that has integrity...

Now it's all on one page, which should speed it up considerably.

• Like 2

GOVERNOR ELECTIONS ARE DONE!

There are 41 variables in the Governor elections. 

Players will only need to input two for each state's race: their candidate's name, and how many terms they've previously served as governor.

I only need to manually input 12:  mostly die rolls and inputting the results of various multivariable checks (which I can calculate in my head at a glance).

The other 27 variables are fully automated now, all on a single page!

• Like 1
  • Based 1

Started working on Presidential elections, but it'll be a while before we actually need it and Friday (the day we resume the game) is right around the corner. 

So I'm going to focus my remaining time on seeing if I can autocalculate the outcomes of various laws, how many points each faction gets, etc.

• Like 1

Proof of concept on calculating the outcomes of a law is done -- I've created a tab called Calculating scores, which has calculated the outcome of the new Constitutional Amendment (if it passes).

That one was pretty easy though since it was just one law.  Working now to calculate a package of multiple laws at once.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Proof of concept on calculating the outcomes of a law is done -- I've created a tab called Calculating scores, which has calculated the outcome of the new Constitutional Amendment (if it passes).

That one was pretty easy though since it was just one law.  Working now to calculate a package of multiple laws at once.

It works!

• Based 1

Ok, I've got all of the recently passed packages automatically calculating, awarding point totals based on what cards people have.

It doesn't factor in things like state industries, I'll probably just do that manually.  

In fact, other than Presidential elections, I think I might have everything to the point that I can probably do the rest manually.  I'll still continue to add automation as needed -- basically, if any phase is still taking me more than 30 minutes to process, that's a phase I'll focus on automating further.

But for now, my plan is:

1)  Clean up the Senate/House/Governor election page.  This shouldn't take me long, can definitely do today after my daughter's swim class.

2)  Start playing the game again!  The points are already calculated, I just need to process the outcome of the state ratification and then the meter outcomes and industry stuff for our new laws.  I should be able to complete this tonight, and then action will be to @Cal to consider Executive Actions.

3)  As I have free time, I'll work on the Presidential election automation.

4)  Just ad-hoc whack-a-mole, as we discover issues in need of automation, I'll create it.  

• Like 1
  • Based 1