The Political Lounge

New Suffolk Poll Doesn't Look Good

vcczar

New Suffolk Poll Doesn't Look Good  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What would be in the best interest for Democrats if Biden truly has a 38% approval and Harris has a 28% approval and both hold through midterms, leading to a Red Wave? [Check all that apply]

• Biden should resign and see what Harris can do
    • Biden should have Harris resign and see if that helps.
    • Biden should have Harris resign, then pick Buttigieg or a Democrat with over 50% favorability as a VP, then Biden should resign to make the new VP the new president.
    • Biden and Harris should ignore the polls and battle through with their reelection plans, even if it seems likely they'll be challenged by their own party.
    • Biden and Harris should maintain their jobs, but Biden should decline a reelection bid.
    • Biden and Harris should maintain their jobs, but both should decline running in 2024.
    • Biden and Harris should maintain their jobs, but their entire administration (Pres, VP, cabinet) should decline running in 2024.
    • Democrats should claim to be disorganized, endorse a 3rd party, and hope that doing so doesn't destroy their party in the future.
  2. 2. Of these, who gives the Democrats the greatest chance of exciting the Democratic base, appealing to both progressives and moderates, and winning over enough Independents to defeat Donald Trump in 2024?

• Pres. Joe Biden, despite the 38% approval. He has the incumbency advantage.
    • VP Kamala Harris, despite the 28% approval. There's a lot of people that still don't have an opinion on her, so she could possibly push them up into the lower 40%
    • Sec. Pete Buttigieg, even though he's been firmly part of the Biden administration.
    • Gov. Gavin Newsom, despite having been forced into a recall election.
    • Fmr Gov. Andrew Cuomo, despite recent scandals that led to his resignation.
    • Fmr 1st Lady Michelle Obama, despite not having held any major political office.
    • Sen. Bernie Sanders, despite the fact that he would be nearing 84 years old during his first term in office.
    • Sen. Elizabeth Warren, despite the fact that she'll be 75 and is likely to energize the opposition against her similar in the way Hillary Clinton does.
    • Ms. Stacey Abrams, despite having not held any major national office, and who is likely to energize the opposition.
    • Sen. Cory Booker, despite a weak showing in 2020.
    • Sen. Amy Klobuchar, despite a weak showing in 2020 and an unenergizing presence.
    • Fmr Rep. Beto O'Rourke, despite a weak showing in 2020 and a likely defeat for governor in 2022.
    • Mr. Andrew Yang, despite a weak showing in 2020, a defeat for NYC Major in 2021, and the fact that he abandoned the Democratic Party in 2021.
    • Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, despite the fact she'll be younger than 40 and would probably encourage more conservatives and independents to vote against her than Clinton did.
    • Rep. Joe Kennedy IIII, despite the fact he lost a bid for the US Senate recently.
    • Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, despite the fact that she's probably generate higher turnout among MAGA voters as she was a common punching bag for Trump.
    • Fmr Sec. Hillary Clinton, despite being the boogeywoman of conservatives, a failed nominee in 2016, and 77 years old.
    • Ms. Oprah Winfrey, despite having no political experience and being 70 years old.
    • Fmr Sen. and comedian Al Franken, despite a scandal within the last ten years.
    • Politically-active musician Taylor Swift, despite being only 35 during the election and having no political experience.
  3. 3. How likely do you think the politician you select in question #2 would defeat Donald Trump in 2024?

• The Democrat would win both the EV and PV.
    • The Democrat would win the EV but not the PV
    • The Democrat would win the PV but not the EV
    • The Democrat would lose both the EV and the PV
    • A 3rd party would win the presidency for the first time in history.
    • The election would be too close to call because Biden's disapproval ratings and Trump's unfavorable ratings (and the fact he's lost once) are equally terrible baggage.

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'm well aware of the racist history behind that law, and therefore can't back it...

But as a former renter (and former homeless person) who has now owned a house for 8 years...yes.  When I was a renter or homeless person, I didn't care about or even notice local politics.

Now that I'm a homeowner (and a dad) I have very strong feelings about the school board, the library levy, the parks levy...

National Politics and state politics should be open to everyone as per the normal rules already in place.  But I do think there's an argument to be made that local politics should be for property owners with a primary residence in that voting district.  

Local politics just lands differently if you know you'll be dealing with the consequences of all actions 10-20 years from now, as opposed to renters who come and go with the wind.

Haha I know. Just wanted to irk Patine. 

Also another wholesome dad moment moment.

I do think the local politics participation being tied to home ownership in the locale is a very based and potentially polarizing take that I would love to hear other left-of-center forum users discuss. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

Just now, Patine said:

I have to strenuously disagree with this, as a social worker and renter. Local regulations and bylaws can make life utterly miserable for renters, and for the down-and-out. I mean, downright untenable. And local councils only representing property owners - a minority in most large, urban municipalities - would have no compunctions to make such draconians, and no reason at all to show regulatory forbearance. I think you're idea here would frankly be monstrous and create pitiless, harsh cities. As I said, I tell you this as a renter and social worker.

Average renter voter: (joke)

CBB22FE3-6B37-40DA-B54B-C17DAFAAE507.jpeg.f07e3012d18da76d369dd89e4c04bfa5.jpeg

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

I have to strenuously disagree with this, as a social worker and long-term renter (and a LOT of renters are actually long-term - your generalization is just that - a generalization, and not nearly as true as you portray, statistically). Local regulations and bylaws can make life utterly miserable for renters, and for the down-and-out. I mean, downright untenable. And local councils only representing property owners - a minority in most large, urban municipalities - would have no compunctions to make such draconian laws, and no reason at all to show regulatory forbearance. I think you're idea here would frankly be monstrous and create pitiless, harsh cities. As I said, I tell you this as a renter and social worker.

As I said, I have my own hesitation to the idea.  I should note that I’m a suburbanite, and therefore live in an area where most people are property owners, not renters.  That was my frame of reference in the discussion.  Were we talking about a city where the majority are renters, that would naturally change things.

14 hours ago, Patine said:

What needed and pressing reforms and improvements in Government does he bring to the table? He strikes me as a classic, Establishment status quo type with a bit of timid tinkering he might engage in. And a definite seeming return to the, "kill, die, and sacrifice your rights for corporate profits and Government lies," era in full." In what ways would be move beyond this, if at all, or is this what you are seeking in a leader? This is a serious question.

How on earth did you reach that conclusion about him?

The man’s been busy just trying to raise newborn twins, including one that was in the NICU.  

On 11/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, Patine said:

He strikes me as a classic, Establishment status quo type with a bit of timid tinkering he might engage in. And a definite seeming return to the, "kill, die, and sacrifice your rights for corporate profits and Government lies," era in full." 

15 hours ago, Patine said:

There is no, "conclusion." It's a QUESTION, asking if what I had been led to believe by another source is true.

12 hours ago, Patine said:

I already did tell you. Superficial sources that I do not swear by. They're not MY conclusions. I'm giving you a chance to provide an alternate view in good faith. I've already said, in other words, earlier.

I don’t know how to refute superficial sources without knowing what they said.

I also have a history of never managing to convince you of anything, so I don’t anticipate great success here even if the sources were provided.  ;c)