The Political Lounge

KPop interest poll

ConservativeElector2

How much do you enjoy KPop?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you enjoy KPop?

• 1 - I love KPop, literally listening to it everyday, following group activities, buying some merch etc.
    • 2 - KPop's actually nice, I have listened to the most popular songs and groups a bit but I am no die-hard fan
    • 3 - KPop is meh, not bad, but also not terrible. I haven't got a real knowledge about it tho
    • 4 - KPop's largely boring, unentertaining, commercialized etc. I don't like it.
    • 5 - I literally hate KPop and try to avoid everything associated with it
    • 6 - What's KPop?
    • 7 - other (please explain below)
  2. 2. Which of these ACTIVE groups have you heard about?

3. 3. Which of these INACTIVE groups have you heard about?

Continuing with music. I am now trying to gauge your interest and knowledge of KPop. As a few of you may know I am highly enjoying this kind of music genre and have a vast knowledge of singers and groups. 

My favorite groups are Twice by far, then Blackpink, Red Velvet and Itzy. I'd also like to mention Apink, Dreamcatcher, Everglow and CLC as particular good. 

Please let me know if you like any of them or others.

I saw a KPop band play at the South By Southwest music festival in Austin, TX when I lived there. I don't know what the name of the band was. Like a lot of music, it was pretty good. But like a lot of music for me, it wasn't necessarily memorable. I like music, but I think it is less important to my life than it is to most people. There's probably only like 50 songs ever in any genre that I really really like. I also tend to listen to classical music when I listen to music at all. However, I think most of my favorite songs are 1950s-1970s, and then 1990s-2000s. Songs from the 1980s are generally terrible. Songs from 2010s and 2020s haven't been that inspiring for me. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I've only heard one KPop song in my life - the one by Psy (whose not even listed, even as listed, even as even) that was everywhere for a while, so I couldn't really judge.

Yeah I haven't listed him because he is a soloist. The poll was about groups, but maybe I'll do one about soloists another day. My favourite here is Sunmi.

My lack of knowledge about almost all things music knows no bounds. 

I was a Top 40 Radio DJ from 2004 - 2008, I grew up on my parents' Country music in the late 80's to late 90's, and have starred in a lot of musicals.

But if it's not one of those genres in one of those timeframes, odds are I've never heard of it.

The other day, my wife pointed out that she'd really liked the soundtrack of a movie we'd just watched, because it had a new take on Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I had no idea what she was talking about.  "Smells like what?"

All that is to say that despite living in Korea for two years, KPop enthusiasts should take no offense to my ignorance.  I assure you that I'm just as ignorant about the music from the US as well.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Patine said:

@Timur It's a sobering - temporally speaking - that Seo Taiji, the innovator of K-Pop, a youth-driven movement, is four years older than me. Then again, Brittney Spears is also around my age, and so are the Spice Girls.

Yeah, most current KPop artists are younger than me as well. I guess this genre gives us all something to think about when it comes to age lol