The Political Lounge

Infrastructure Bill Passed House

Timur

Infrastructure Bill passed House  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• Good, a sign of bipartisanship
    • It could have been more progressive, I oppose the bill.
    • It could have been more progressive, but I still support the bill
    • I oppose the bill absolutely.
    • Other
  2. 2. How do you see the 13 Republicans' decision to vote "Aye"?

3. 3. How do you see the 6 Democrats' decision to vote "Nay"?

• Timur changed the title to Infrastructure Bill Passed House

I like it and don't think it needs to be more progressive given that its meant to be a hard infrastructure bill and not a social spending bill, that's what BBB is for. Now, if BBB  doesn't end up passing I'll be thoroughly annoyed that moderate democrats got what they wanted and then ran away, but not enough to say that this is a bad bill, because this is still a very useful bill.

Each president this century has passed "the largest infrastructure bill in US history".  This one will be no more effective at improving our infrastructure than the previous ones.  If they actually repaired the infrastructure, they wouldn't be able to rally support for the next barrel of pork with that label.

Taxpayers = Charlie Brown
Politicians = Lucy
The promise of improving roads = football

• Based 2

On 11/11/2021 at 8:19 AM, Patine said:

In a Parliamentary System, those 13 Republicans and 6 Democrats would be kicked out of their party caucuses, made to sit as Independents, and not renominated for their party for the next election.

Is this supposed to be arguing in favor of parliamentary systems

6 hours ago, Patine said:

No, it's a throwaway fact, stated without real bias (kind of like modern, "news," media SHOULD really state what their reporting, in fact, if they were worth watching for actual - you know - NEWS). There's positive and negative alternative views to it, I suppose, so I take it as you will.

So to my understanding then in a parliamentary system there is less room for “Mavericks” who break with the party line? 

15 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

So to my understanding then in a parliamentary system there is less room for “Mavericks” who break with the party line? 

Eh. Kinda, but most of the time the party has no real choice than to let them do it. An example is what just happened in the UK with the corruption votes - public opinion battered Johnson when he tried to take action against the members who voted against it. Even then, if it's a small rebellion, most party leaders don't care because they won the vote anyway. While they can get them out of the party, they can't expel them from Parliament. So they can piss them off for good or let them have that one vote to do what they want. 

• Thanks 1