The Political Lounge

It's that Season! (Or is it?) Christmas Quiz!!!

Dobs

Father Christmas or the Grinch himself?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. When Does the "Christmas Season" begin?

• Begin? Christmas is a 365 day holiday! (20 Points)
    • July 12th - Christmas in July is a great way to kick off the season! (18 points)
    • September 22nd - Christmas comes the minute Autumn arrives! (16 points)
    • November 1st - Once Halloween is out the door it's Christmas time! (14 points)
    • November 15th - Christmas starts easing its way in just before Thanksgiving (12 points)
    • Thanksgiving Day - I like to spend my Thanksgiving making the transition to Christmas (10 points)
    • Black Friday - Christmas starts on the biggest Christmas shopping holiday of the year (8 points)
    • Hope Sunday - The first Sunday of Advent is the only appropriate time to start the season. (6 points)
    • December 1st - Christmas means December, Christmas doesn't start until December gets here. (4 points)
    • December 18th - I guess if I really have to partake I'll get festive for the week leading up to Christmas. (2 points)
    • Christmas Eve or Christmas Day - Christmas is a one day holiday! (0 points)
    • Begin? Bah! Christmas doesn't deserve a season to celebrate! (-2 points)
  2. 2. When do you start listening to Christmas Music?

• All-year round! It's my favorite genre! (20 points)
    • July 12th (18 points)
    • September 22nd (16 points)
    • November 1st (14 points)
    • November 15th (12 points)
    • Thanksgiving Day (10 points)
    • Black Friday (8 points)
    • Hope Sunday (6 points)
    • December 1st (4 points)
    • December 18th (2 points)
    • Christmas Eve/Day (0 points)
    • Never! I hate the stuff! (-2 points)
  3. 3. When do you start decorating?

• I never take it down! (20 points)
    • July 12th (18 points)
    • September 22nd (16 points)
    • November 1st (14 points)
    • November 15th (12 points)
    • Thanksgiving Day (10 points)
    • Black Friday (8 points)
    • Hope Sunday (6 points)
    • December 1st (4 points)
    • December 18th (2 points)
    • Christmas Eve/Day (0 points)
    • I don't! My house is barren all year round! (-2 points)
  4. 4. On a Scale of 1-10, how much do you enjoy the Christmas season?

• 10 - IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!!! (20 points)
    • 9 - It's my favorite holiday! I go all out for the holiday season! (18 points)
    • 8 - It's either my favorite or a contender for the top spot, it's fantastic! (16 points)
    • 7 - It's a lot of fun! It may not be my number 1 holiday but I feel the cheer during the season! (14 points)
    • 6 - It's pretty good, there are some overrated aspects like shopping and crowds and overplayed music, but family is what matters, right? (12 points)
    • 5 - Meh, you take the good with the bad. I like the presents and the time off. (10 points)
    • 4 - I get why people like it but it's not for me, sticky tree sap, loud crowds, and the same songs for over a month? No thanks. (6 points)
    • 3 - One of the most overrated holidays. I don't get what all the fuss over some creepy fat old dude breaking into my house is. (4 points)
    • 2 - Aside from maybe 1 or 2 redeeming qualities, Christmas is one of my least favorite times of the year, I cannot WAIT for it to be over every year. (2 points)
    • 1 - I willfully do not celebrate and try to avoid all Christmas related things at all costs. (0 points)
    • 0 - Bah Humbug! I despise Christmas and everything to do with it! (-2 points)
  5. 5. Is Santa Real?

• Yes (20 points)
    • Maybe? (0 points)
    • No (-20 points)
  6. 6. How did you do?

• Literally Santa (100-90)
    • Mrs. Claus (90-80)
    • Elf (80-70)
    • Santa's Biggest Believer (70-60)
    • Nice List Resident (60-50)
    • Average Christmas Enjoyer (50-40)
    • Present Lover (40-30)
    • Santa Denier (30-20)
    • Naughty List (20-10)
    • Scrooge (10-0)
    • The Grinch! (Negative)

I've made my annual transition to Christmas Carly! For many of us, the Christmas season is upon us (and for others it has been for quite some time!) Still, for others they like to wait a while longer to get in that holiday spirit. So I thought I'd make a poll to test our forum's fesitivity!

To make it fun, I've turned it into a little game. Answer the above poll (choosing the closest answer) and then score yourself at the end, let us know how you do!

---

100-90: I think you may be literally Santa??

90-80: And you must be Mrs. Claus!

80-70: You're a top elf!

70-60: You're one of Santa's biggest believers!

60-50: You're definitely on the Good list!

50-40: You are an average Christmas enjoyer.

40-30: You're just here for the presents, aren't you?

30-20: Do you even believe in Santa?

20-10: Uh oh, you're on the Naughty List...

10-0: You must be related to Scrooge!

Negative Score: Hide Christmas! We found the real Grinch!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I don't put up the tree until like December 20th and do my Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve -- but I do the "Elf On A Shelf" year round, so I don't know what the heck is happening in this house.  Ha.

As long as the kids are having a good time that's all we can ask for!

• Like 1
  • Based 1

Time to steal Christmas! Why are taxpayers money being wasted for such a useless materialistic entertainment!

• Based 1

3 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Thanksgiving > Christmas for me (but it's close). Family, food, and football. Christmas is a close second and definitely one of the most based holidays.

You can't get into Thanksgiving feeling here. The only reason it stands out for me is seeing all the Thanksgiving episodes in American cartoons, sitcoms and other TV series as a child. However, I still prefer Christmas, which is arguably the coziest time of the year.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Thanksgiving > Christmas for me (but it's close). Family, food, and football. Christmas is a close second and definitely one of the most based holidays.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, Thanksgiving weekend is always rivalry weekend for college football

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Thanksgiving is early October, here, in Canada, instead. While the origin event is different between them (the feast of the Franklin Expedition on the tundrid Baffin Island when they thought they were goners versus the Lenape bringing the Plymouth Colony a bounty of food during a harsh winter), they've ended up being VERY similar in practice and esthetic, turkey and all. We just don't have a big, shameless corporate money grab the day after.

What is your favorite Thanksgiving food

On 11/22/2021 at 11:15 PM, DakotaHale said:

Agreed 100%. Love stuffing.

12 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Nothing beats my Grandma's Sweet Potato Casserole

Man we got some tough ones here...

Nothing beats my Aunt's "Ooey Gooey" Butter Cake though... 

I intentionally go on a diet the week before thanksgiving just to prepare myself for that. 😛 

I love some damn good food. 😛 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

My 8 year old daughter still 100% believes in Santa (and the Elf on the Shelf).

I'm torn between joy that her childhood sense of wonder is lasting much longer than I would have expected...and concern that she is just so very, very, very  dumb.  Haha.

I used to believe in Santa until I was 12,so don't be worried at all,let her enjoy the most wonderful part of her life and enjoy with her In her childhood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

The commercialized Santa Claus we see everywhere today is a culmination and capstone (some giving credit to Coca-Cola advertising artist for) of numerous different and distinct, but with notable similarities figures in other (exclusively European, though) cultures, like the Western European presiding figure of merrymaking Father Christmas (Papa Noel, in French) whom Oliver Cromwell, John Winthrop, and other Puritan leaders detested with a passion and actively moved to suppress, the Holy Roman Kris Kringle (at least in those Germanic-speaking lands where the proverbial carrot guided children's motivation to be good, and not the proverbial stick of the Krampus, which was more common in Southern areas like Austria, Bavaria, Baden, Wurttemberg, and the German-speaking Swiss Cantons), who, himself (Kringle, not the Krampus) was very similar to the Polish and Scandinavian Sinterklaas (in his Scandinavian mold, being the first to ride a sleigh of flying reindeer), and Ded Moroz and his young niece and helper, Snegurochka, of the lands that had belonged to the Russian Empire and were typically Slavic Eastern Orthodox Christians. Some of these core ideas go back even before the Christianization of Western, Northern, and Eastern Europe (as the early Church had very somber Christmas celebrations, even while, like they did early on with Easter, they wrangled over the actual day of observance), and great influence from the festivities, traditions, esthetics, and concept of gift-giving from the Yule celebrations of old Germanic and Celtic peoples, and Saturnalia of Ancient Rome - which were both on, or around the Winter Solstace, became incorporated into the affairs.

Alot to process,

Still processing,

Thanks for the info though heeh 

27 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

My 8 year old daughter still 100% believes in Santa (and the Elf on the Shelf).

I'm torn between joy that her childhood sense of wonder is lasting much longer than I would have expected...and concern that she is just so very, very, very  dumb.  Haha.

8 is no problem! My sister was like Rodja and went to 12 or 13.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dobs said:

8 is no problem! My sister was like Rodja and went to 12 or 13.

My sister theoretically still believes...even though she’s 34, married, and has four kids.  Haha.  She just never told anyone once she figured it out, because she was afraid the presents would stop if she revealed that she knew.

As for me, I’d figured it out by age six...and was so insistent by 8 that my parents told me the truth just to stop me from saying it in front of my sister.