The Political Lounge

Die Hard

Sean F Kennedy

Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

• Yes, it takes place during Christmas!
    • No, other than it taking place on Christmas it doesn’t have the same Christmas magic as other Christmas movies.

13 hours ago, Patine said:

No, it's no more a Christmas movie than Gremlins is. And the six people (as of this post) who voted it was don't know what a, "Christmas movie." Which, by definition, is almost always a, "secularized winter holiday," movie, and not a, "Christmas movie." A movie like, "the Nativity," is a CHRISTMAS movie, and are quite rare, to be honest.

Gremlins is literally the most Christmas movie there is

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Patine said:

None of them are. Think of all the Hollywood movies that take place, in whole or in part, on July 4th (you even see parades) but nothing to do, in their plots, with the holiday or what it signifies. And the movie The Fugitive has a Saint Patrick's Day parade in a notable scene, but the movie, itself, has nothing to do with Saint Patrick's Day. The exact same logic applies here, amazingly enough. And, there are movies that have long scopes of time in the life of a person, family, town, or what-have-you that may have a Christmas scene or two. Do you see what I'm saying.

I honestly can't think of any Hollywood movies that take place, in whole or in part, on July 4th (other than Independence Day).  

My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story, even though most of the movie doesn't really have anything to do with Christmas, other than the running joke of "You'll shoot your eye out!"  I still watch it on repeat all Christmas Day.  

• Based 1

2 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story, even though most of the movie doesn't really have anything to do with Christmas, other than the running joke of "You'll shoot your eye out!"  I still watch it on repeat all Christmas Day.  

That movie is literally a staple in my family, and especially my outer family lmao. Based. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/25/2021 at 8:30 AM, pilight said:

The key is whether it could be set at any other holiday.  For Die Hard the answer is clearly no.  There is no other holiday for which there are office parties where family members are invited.  Even the book it's based on has a Christmas setting.

Ooh, that's interesting.

A Christmas Story:  Ralphie could want the BB Gun for his birthday.  If his birthday happens to be in winter, you wouldn't need to change anything else. Even the bit of him asking Santa could be an emergency backup plan for if he doesn't get it for his birthday.

Love Actually:  At least half the storylines revolve around Christmas in ways that aren't easily ignored.  You'd have to cut out half the movie and most of the characters.

Home Alone:  The plot requires an entire wealthy neighborhood to each individually go on vacation at the same time.  It's feasible this could happen during the summer, but it would be a wild coincidence, and it would be easier for his family to get home without blizzards and holiday travel in the way.  At minimum, you'd have to make Home Alone a Thanksgiving movie.  And take out the parts where he thinks his family disappeared because he wished it to Santa.