The Political Lounge

2024 3rd Party Thread

vcczar

Question #1: What politician or celebrity running in a 3rd party bid would most likely drain votes from Donald Trump, allowing Biden to win reelection even if his approval is 42%? 

Question #1: What politician or celebrity running in a 3rd party bid would most likely drain votes from Joe Biden, allowing Trump to win reelection even if his favorability is 38%? 

41 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Question #1: What politician or celebrity running in a 3rd party bid would most likely drain votes from Donald Trump, allowing Biden to win reelection even if his approval is 42%? 

Question #1: What politician or celebrity running in a 3rd party bid would most likely drain votes from Joe Biden, allowing Trump to win reelection even if his favorability is 38%? 

1.Alex Jones?

2.AOC or Kamala Harris

(This is assuming IF they run which, they, of course have 0% chance of doing so)

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Why would a sitting Vice President run Third Party? And neither her, nor AOC (nor Alex Jones, as far as I know) are affiliated with any Third Parties.

I said there would be 0% chance of them running.

However, the question is who can drain most voters from Biden/Trump if they ran Third Party/Independent, and Harris or AOC ssems most likely (though they would never run Third Party/Independent without a really good reason for doing so.

Alex Jones, however, has identified as a Libertarian and has voted for the Constitution Party as well. I couldn't really think of anyone else, but Alex has had a number of devout followers. However, I don't see him running in the future, and I just chose him because I couldn't think of others (though Ron DeSantis, Ted Cruz, and Rand Paul might take votes).

Anyhow, this is a hypothetical question, from what I understand.

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Most celebrities would likely drain more from Biden than Trump. A politician that would hurt Trump would have to come from someone not considered a squish (Romney, Kinzinger, Cheney, Kasich). Someone like Nikki Haley going 3rd party would significantly affect Trump's campaign.

Biden likely has a lot more to lose from a 3rd party candidacy.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

1: Speaking realistically, I really can’t think of anyone that could tap into Trump’s base enough to tilt an election. Maybe Mark Cuban, or Howard Stern.

2. This is a bit easier, I think the person most likely to run third party that could hand the election to Donald Trump is either Dwayne Johnson or John Kasich, both would probably be pulling anti trump conservatives and moderates away from Biden. Kasich might even be worse, for Biden, than Johnson since Johnson could appeal to single issue populist voters that would otherwise go to Trump.

2 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

This is a bit easier, I think the person most likely to run third party that could hand the election to Donald Trump is either Dwayne Johnson or John Kasich, both would probably be pulling anti trump conservatives and moderates away from Biden. Kasich might even be worse, for Biden, than Johnson since Johnson could appeal to single issue populist voters that would otherwise go to Trump.

Agreed. Johnson would be an interesting figure as a 3rd party candidate. It would likely depend on his platform, but he would potentially have the ability to draw from a wide range of voters.