• Europa Universalis
    • Crusader Kings
    • Heart of Iron
    • Victoria
    • Imperator
    • Stellaris
    • I've never played a Paradox game.
  2. 2. Testing this new odd function

Never got into Imperator or Stellaris much. Vicky just a little bit. So that leaves Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron. HOI was my first game, but quickly descended down the list. I love CK2 for the Game of Thrones mod, it's what I exclusively use it for. CK3 I'm not a huge fan of. EU4 is by far my favorite game top to bottom.

Stellaris isn't my type of game and I haven't tried Imperator because I know it isn't the most beloved game out there. I know that HOI3 and HOI4 are both very popular, but I personally never found the appeal, probably at least partially because I find World War 2 to be overdone at this point. Vicky II is a really good game, and the only one that I can play on a consistent basis because of poor computer quality, but it's the oldest of the games up there and a little too clunky to be number one. Between CK and EU, I prefer EU4. CK3, however, is probably the best base game ever put out by Paradox, but I prefer the mechanics and gameplay of EU4.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Never got into Imperator or Stellaris much. Vicky just a little bit. So that leaves Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron. HOI was my first game, but quickly descended down the list. I love CK2 for the Game of Thrones mod, it's what I exclusively use it for. CK3 I'm not a huge fan of. EU4 is by far my favorite game top to bottom.

5 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Stellaris isn't my type of game and I haven't tried Imperator because I know it isn't the most beloved game out there. I know that HOI3 and HOI4 are both very popular, but I personally never found the appeal, probably at least partially because I find World War 2 to be overdone at this point. Vicky II is a really good game, and the only one that I can play on a consistent basis because of poor computer quality, but it's the oldest of the games up there and a little too clunky to be number one. Between CK and EU, I prefer EU4. CK3, however, is probably the best base game ever put out by Paradox, but I prefer the mechanics and gameplay of EU4.

I've never played Stellaris, but I've played all the rest. EU the original was my first parodox game. I helped make the add-ons for EU2 by providing names and abilities for all the new military officers. I think EU is my favorite series and I occasionally play EU4. I think I play Crusader Kings more often because I like the dynasty aspect. I think Victoria has a ton of potential. I think HOI and Imperator are the ones I play least. 

This is a tough choice, since it's asking about my favorite series, as a whole, rather than my favorite game. If it was my favorite game, it would be either Vicky2, or Stellaris, depending on the day. But for my favorite series, well then my answer gets a lot tougher. I'd probably have to go with Crusader Kings, 2 is fantastic, 3 is alright, and 1 is, ok, definitely shows its age though. It's really hard for me to answer this question, as I've only played the CK series in full, and even then I barely played CK1, so I feel like I may be missing something in the other games. Runner up, for me, and based solely off of the games I've played, would probably be the EU series, if only because I enjoyed EU3 more than I enjoyed HOI3.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

This is a tough choice, since it's asking about my favorite series, as a whole, rather than my favorite game. If it was my favorite game, it would be either Vicky2, or Stellaris, depending on the day. But for my favorite series, well then my answer gets a lot tougher. I'd probably have to go with Crusader Kings, 2 is fantastic, 3 is alright, and 1 is, ok, definitely shows its age though. It's really hard for me to answer this question, as I've only played the CK series in full, and even then I barely played CK1, so I feel like I may be missing something in the other games. Runner up, for me, and based solely off of the games I've played, would probably be the EU series, if only because I enjoyed EU3 more than I enjoyed HOI3.

I'd be right there with you on the favorite games, but the best series has to go hands down to Europa Universalis, followed closely by Hearts of Iron. EU2 was one of my first exposures to Paradox, and EU3 is where I spent probably hundreds of hours with the expansions meaningfully adding a lot of content to the game. EU4 was a little controversial for its mana system when it first released, but with the many many new features added over time I think that it has become the pinnacle of the EU series for sure. EU Rome had a following for a long time as well. Definitely the best series imo. 

Crusader Kings II is one of those games that there is just nothing like. However, CKIII still has a long way to go so I can't really say its the best series by them at this point in time. 

Hearts of Iron is probably the runner-up for best series. HOI2 still has a pretty loyal fanbase, especially when lump in the Arsenal of Democracy and Darkest Hour fans as well (the latter of which still having an active Kaiserreich mod if I recall). Speaking of Kaiserreich, that project alone makes the HOI series really up there. Hearts of Iron 3 was probably the most mechanically complex game in the series (except maybe Vicky 2), but HOI4 I'll admit dropped the ball.  

Stellaris I have so, so many hours into and is the game that has the best multiplayer of all of their games imo. The modding potential is so much more and the community so much more varied. However, its only a single game so you can't name it best series just yet 😛 

Imperator is the same as above, except I've never played it. 

Dont get me wrong, EU4 is a good game but it is the standard choice of just about everyone. Mainly because of its multiplayer. It's fun, but its grown on me and I tire of it. CK2 is something I can play everyday because it's dynamic. 2nd place for me is Hearts of Iron. And not 4. Darkest Hour and Hoi3 Black Ice Mod are the true epic gamer strategery games. Cause they are very hardcore, and I like challenges!

I've never played Imperator because the reviews put me off.  I played a lot of Victoria but never really understood what I was doing.  I've dabbled in HOI and EU but was even more lost in those.

Crusader Kings is my home, for sure.  I've played all of the CK games and was an active modder and award-winning AAR writer at one point.  Fun fact:  before my wife and I met in person, I mentioned that I write "Historical Video Game Fanfiction" and love "pretty much anything by Paradox Interactive" -- we've been married ten years now, but still joke about that being my attempt to woo her.  ;c)

Because my free time is very limited, I usually can only focus on only one game for weeks/months at a time before I replace it with something new.  Currently, my game of choice is Stellaris.  I've had it since release, but lost interest -- I've recently refocused on trying to learn it and am finally doing okay at it enough that I'm starting to enjoy myself.

CK3 was fun for a bit, but I've moved it to the backburner until the ASOIAF mod is ready. 

Edited by MrPotatoTed

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

What is it with you and polls about exclusively Paradox Games and though an assumed, universal consensus can be taken for granted that all and sundry agree they are the greatest and only relevant historio-political strategy games out there, and all others brushed aside by omission? I just must ask. I'm not trying to start a fight, to be very clear, I'm just highly curious.

I polled these games because a lot of people play them, so the leading poll response won't be "I've never played it." I play a lot of non-Paradox games, but polling those will likely just show how few people play them, even in the case when they are better games. 

• 1 month later...

Victoria without a doubt, and I hope the rumors are true they are announcing it this Summer...And I hope it has a more in depth political aspect this time around so much untapped potential 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Victoria without a doubt, and I hope the rumors are true they are announcing it this Summer...And I hope it has a more in depth political aspect this time around so much untapped potential 

Yeah, Victoria needs an update. Unlimited potential.

More people on this forum play Paradox games rather than Civ. I think I can comfortably make that assumption, and I think Vcczar did as well. Once again, drawing things out into a paragraph are we? 😛  *sigh*

32 minutes ago, Patine said:

I meant to respond to this, but since it was bumped. The Civilization series is, hands-down, without remotely near rival, the best-selling nation-building strategy game series in history. In fact, Civilization 1 is largely credited with beginning the genre. The Age of Empires/Mythology was second, also by a large margin. So, where do you get the assumption that Paradox Games have the biggest default recognition in the genre, and that everything else would be niche, or at least be assumed to have a much more limited fan base? This is a genuine question.

Paradox is more modern, would be my guess. Also all the Civ games are rather similar (or at least a similar premise) rather than on different topics. As well as they spread over many years, with less people probably playing all of them.

30 minutes ago, Patine said:

I meant to respond to this, but since it was bumped. The Civilization series is, hands-down, without remotely near rival, the best-selling nation-building strategy game series in history. In fact, Civilization 1 is largely credited with beginning the genre. The Age of Empires/Mythology was second, also by a large margin. So, where do you get the assumption that Paradox Games have the biggest default recognition in the genre, and that everything else would be niche, or at least be assumed to have a much more limited fan base? This is a genuine question.

I haven’t played Civ since the 1990s. It’s been surpassed in complexity, realism, and gameplay by the games at Paradox. Certainly, Civ has been more historically influential but Paradox seems to have supplanted it in influence today. I really recommend you get some of the paradox games to see why. It’s way more realistic.  Civ, at least in the 1990s, seemed loosely historical. One monarch living the entire span of history and such. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I still that focusing all threads and polls about the topic on exclusively one company feels a bit exclusionary to me, as I greatly enjoy nation-building strategy games, but have never tried Paradox, and my lack of desire to own a credit card inhibits my ability to buy a bunch of games on just the experimental chance I might like or prefer them. Plus, Civ2, at least, is an awesome game engine for immense scenario-making with much fewer limits than most games out there, even if it does paint in broad strokes.

I have to post game threads on games I play. This particular thread is based on Paradox games as the title suggests. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

You could make it more open selection of poll choices so I could at least a foot in the door to contribute my views on the broader genre of games in a way other than I'm doing now.

Make your own damn poll, and stop complaining in every thread. It takes like 5 min to make a poll. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...