ConservativeElector2

Do you like the Movie?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Movie?

• Yes
    • No
    • I haven't seen 'The Big Lebowski'

1 hour ago, Patine said:

As I've said to several people on this forum and 270soft (and a number of others), humour is subjective. I've gotten an amazing (and very disturbing) amount of online hostility and namecalling for not acceding to someone else's brand of humour as something I find funny - or worse, that I find off-putting, or even repugnant. But that aside, if it amuses you, then it has done it's job in microcosm. 😉

I am very curios examples of tv shows and or movies you find funny personally

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I like a lot British sitcoms and comedies, as well as a lot of American comedy from Abbott and Costello and their contemporaries up to the mid-90's, when the new brand of American humour I largely find very offputting, outside a few specific examples, started taking over. I especially like classic American comedians with a skilled command of the use of puns and plays on words, which used to be a strong point of Amercan comedy, at least in English-speaking circles. I am well aware the Big Lebowski was made in the '80's, and I admitted it was only really aware of scattered pop culture references to it, which are probably not representative of the whole movie. I have not seen the movie, as I admitted, and don't know whether or not I would find it funny myself.

Interesting thanks! I haven't heard of them but may give a look

3 hours ago, Patine said:

[...] the Big Lebowski was made in the '80's, [...]

You missed the decade 😉 The movie was released in 1998 and is set in "the early 90s" according to The Stranger, who acts as the narrator - he's played by Sam Elliot (yes, the one from Gettysburg).

On 12/5/2021 at 1:59 PM, Patine said:

I haven't seen it, and all the pop culture references that used to come up for it (including one in World of Warcraft) make it sound like it's plot must be odd and inexplicable.

The movie is indeed odd and inexplicable, as most Coen Brothers movies are (Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou, Fargo, etc).  

But like most of their movies, it's also a great cult classic.  Especially with John Goodman's second greatest performance of all time (behind Dan Conner for the first six or so seasons of Roseanne.)

On 12/5/2021 at 1:59 PM, Patine said:

I haven't seen it, and all the pop culture references that used to come up for it (including one in World of Warcraft) make it sound like it's plot must be odd and inexplicable.

The plot is kind of beside the point.  It's a shaggy dog story.