Jump to content
The Political Lounge

Thinking Ahead


vcczar

Thinking ahead  

18 members have voted

  1. 1. After AMPU is done, and becomes a top seller, which games would you most want to see me work on next?

    • You play as a theatre owner during the time of Shakespeare. Try to dominate the London stage with the best plays, actors, playwrights, etc. [Note: this game is the closest to ready]
    • Game covering Trans-Atlantic trade from c. 1756-1861. You attempt to build a merchant Empire in New England.
    • Victorian Prime Ministers. A game covering the Victorian Age in Britain. Sort of like a much more simplified AMPU.
    • A political game on covering the French Revolution and Napoleonic France from the French perspective. Sort of like a simplified AMPU.
    • A game covering the golden age of American ornithology (study of birds). Players play as an ornithologist attempting to make discoveries, publications, breakthroughs on this topic.
    • Game covering the era of Dada and Surrealism in art, literature, culture. Kind of vague at this point.
      0
    • Geopolitical strategy game covering US intervention and diplomacy in the Middle East, Central Asia, bordering parts of Africa.
    • NFL football game simulator that only allows you to draft, draft, resign, sign players and automatically generates a season. Historical going back to the first NFL draft.
    • Genealogical based game. Starts during the Norman Conquest. Sort of a choose your own adventure style of to see a family tree line unfold from 1066 to the present.
    • Other idea (mention below).


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Kitten said:

Japanese version of AMPU 😛

kinda like the Victorian one you mentioned above 🙂

It could be fun to manage factions and ultimately reform the country from a one party state to a multiparty democracy or the two party system.

 

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

Or have either the hard-right-wing revanchist Neo-Imperialists or the unusually large Japanese Communist Party take power.

My knowledge of Japanese history, aside some basic knowledge of the Nobunaga era, is very limited. Couldn't make that kind of game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, vcczar said:

 

My knowledge of Japanese history, aside some basic knowledge of the Nobunaga era, is very limited. Couldn't make that kind of game. 

Nothing like a bit of research to get the brain flowing haha. But seriously that's understandable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kitten said:

Nothing like a bit of research to get the brain flowing haha. But seriously that's understandable.

For me my knowledge is like this:

US history - A+

UK history - B  [know more than the basics and am somewhat conversant in many parts of the history but have blind spots]

French, German, Russian, Italian, history - C [know the basics and am conversant in parts of the history but have more blind spots]

Other European history, except very small countries - D [I think I know the basics but that's about all]

History of countries outside the US and Europe, including Mexico and Canada - F  I know about things here and there but only so far as they relate to the nations I know more about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kitten said:

Japanese version of AMPU 😛

kinda like the Victorian one you mentioned above 🙂

It could be fun to manage factions and ultimately reform the country from a one party state to a multiparty democracy or the two party system.

I like this idea very much and I understand that no one here including would have the knowledge about Japanese history to build an AMPU-like game about it. However, I think even simulating elections and nominating people to offices alone would be fun. I find it interesting to see which MPs are returned to the Parliament and who's the longest in office and so on. If I had the time I'd add thousands of politicians for an election-only simulator without any legislative options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Geopolitics and the NFL, but the number one game I think is currently missing from the market (other than AMPU) is a television studio simulator.  Creating and casting shows, determining schedule lineups against competitors, deciding what shows to cancel and what to renew for additional seasons...there's a few games out there that claim to be some small piece of one or two of these things, but nobody covers the whole picture.  I see the request over and over again in various gaming groups.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I like Geopolitics and the NFL, but the number one game I think is currently missing from the market (other than AMPU) is a television studio simulator.  Creating and casting shows, determining schedule lineups against competitors, deciding what shows to cancel and what to renew for additional seasons...there's a few games out there that claim to be some small piece of one or two of these things, but nobody covers the whole picture.  I see the request over and over again in various gaming groups.

Sounds interesting. I'm not much of a TV person, so it won't come from me. 

There are so many NFL games but none of them simulate the statistics very well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I like this idea very much and I understand that no one here including would have the knowledge about Japanese history to build an AMPU-like game about it. However, I think even simulating elections and nominating people to offices alone would be fun. I find it interesting to see which MPs are returned to the Parliament and who's the longest in office and so on. If I had the time I'd add thousands of politicians for an election-only simulator without any legislative options.

See I'd be willing to start researching tbh. I already know a fair bit of modern Japanese politics.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kitten said:

See I'd be willing to start researching tbh. I already know a fair bit of modern Japanese politics.

Why don't you and @ConservativeElector2 make that game? Seems like you both want to do it. The hardest part is just working on it and being consistent with that work. @ConservativeElector2 has probably learned a lot about game-making by helping with AMPU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Why don't you and @ConservativeElector2 make that game? Seems like you both want to do it. The hardest part is just working on it and being consistent with that work. @ConservativeElector2 has probably learned a lot about game-making by helping with AMPU.

This is what I like to see, when AMPU made it sets an incredible basis for other games of other countries, Just how the game is set up and all. It's like a brand new perfect forumla for political games

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, themiddlepolitical said:

This is what I like to see, when AMPU made it sets an incredible basis for other games of other countries, Just how the game is set up and all. It's like a brand new perfect forumla for political games

Yeah, I'm not protective of my design at all. If it spawns copycat games I'm perfectly okay with that. I'm even okay with someone making a better version of AMPU. I made the game not for money or fame. I just wanted to play a game like this and it didn't exist. I waited. No one else made it. So I made it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, vcczar said:

Yeah, I'm not protective of my design at all. If it spawns copycat games I'm perfectly okay with that. I'm even okay with someone making a better version of AMPU. I made the game not for money or fame. I just wanted to play a game like this and it didn't exist. I waited. No one else made it. So I made it.

Put that on a billboard!

Edited by themiddlepolitical
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Why don't you and @ConservativeElector2 make that game? Seems like you both want to do it. The hardest part is just working on it and being consistent with that work. @ConservativeElector2 has probably learned a lot about game-making by helping with AMPU.

Yes, I would love to do that, but one factor is time of course, the other being constantly motivated. My aim for international versions of AMPU would be an election-and-appointment-only-simulator with thousands of politicians per country to get massive office holder lists in history tabs. I love to study office holder lists (including lists of monarchs) on Wikipedia, so such a game would be insanely cool for me. While I also love to have some power to legislate or actually reign in some way, it's really the elections/appointments which I love the most.

I think the international priority should be clearly the UK, while 650 House of Commons and 700+ House of Lords members for years would be an enormous effort, probably only doable with an active modding community. 

My own priorities are Austria and South Korea. I started to prepare a spreadsheet with Austrian politicians tho. I hope to see them running for offices one day lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

one factor is time of course, the other being constantly motivated. 

That was the hardest part for me.

I would get burned out continually during some parts of the process but I'd force motivation by seeing this as a "duty" for the greater good and the chance to have finally accomplished something. As a professor, I'm suppose to publish books. I have not done so, so a lack of accomplishments has always shadowed me. I sort of used that as a motivation to accomplish something. My lack of publications is mostly due to my varied interests, which change from month to month. I have tons of unfinished books. 

Time was the other factor for sure. I pretty much worked 7am to 10pm and then 7am to 7pm. Weekends 9am-7pm, but with a longer break in the middle -- teaching, prepping class, grading, working my 2nd job, and AMPU combined. Basically ruined my relationships to make the game because I'm just not present. I'm not great at departmentalizing. So I have to go all the way in if I want to get something done. Become more machine than man. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I have tons of unfinished books. 

Unfortunately I have them as well. Currently I am telling myself to pick them up again when I have finished my master's theses. 

Yesterday I learned that my most favorite South Korean news anchor is publishing her first book. It's called "The Magic to Live 48 Hours a Day", and that's because she always seems to be working while at the same time everything she touches seems to become successful. I wish days had 48 hours, because I could accomplish so much more.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Why don't you and @ConservativeElector2 make that game? Seems like you both want to do it. The hardest part is just working on it and being consistent with that work. @ConservativeElector2 has probably learned a lot about game-making by helping with AMPU.

See I would certainly commit to making that game. Of course I'd have to look at the mechanics of AMPU first and then see what is possible and start planning out just how far back it would be wise to go in terms of Japanese history and then start brainstorming about things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kitten said:

See I would certainly commit to making that game. Of course I'd have to look at the mechanics of AMPU first and then see what is possible and start planning out just how far back it would be wise to go in terms of Japanese history and then start brainstorming about things.

I think you'd want to start with Perry's expedition which took the country out of isolation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think you'd want to start with Perry's expedition which took the country out of isolation. 

That would probably be a good starting point especially when it comes to Foreign relations. As for Domestic politics, the late Meji Era would be another good starting point.

Edited by Kitten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...