The Political Lounge

AMPU To Do List

vcczar

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

@ConservativeElector2 @Hestia @jvikings1 the three of you are my candidates for helping me proof some things on Legis Props and Scripted Events and Pres Actions if any of you have the time. It will take me a bit to type up what you need to do and how to do it, but just let me know if you do or don't have the free time to do this. It will help save me some time if you can help out.

Once the campaign is over I should have some paid volunteer work, since I'll presumably have some money from the KS campaign to help pay for making the game. This will involve filling out politician bios. 

During break, I’ll likely have some time. Things are less certain once next semester begins; however, I try to leave weekends free to do stuff outside of school work (so those will likely be free)

Added three new wars, along with the 2nd Napoleonic War. These three are Generic Invasion of the US I, II, and III. Basically, these occur if relations with a nation are really low and military preparedness is really low. That is, we're vulnerable and we have enemies, and so they take advantage of that. The numbers are just to add variety, but I might tie them to the countries or regions where the invasion is coming from or something. 

Once I get the "to do" list otherwise cleared out, I plan on adding a lot of alternative things, but that requires me getting through the to do list quickly. 

@ConservativeElector2 @jvikings1 @Dobs

What are some legislative proposals that have not been passed or voted on yet that could be passed or voted on under a GOP administration within the next 10 or 20 years?

I'm looking specifically for conservative, traditionalist, or RW Populist domestic legislation and economic legislation. I might have what you suggest. 

Consider this: 

What do you think passes if the GOP has 55 US Senators and 55% of the US House and the president is: 

• Ron DeSantis
  • Ted Cruz
  • Donald Trump, non-consecutive term
  • MTG
  • Tim Scott
  • Nikki Haley
  • Charlie Baker
  • Mike Pence
  • Tom Cotton
  • Josh Hawley
  • Marco Rubio
  • Matt Gaetz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

What are some legislative proposals that have not been passed or voted on yet that could be passed or voted on under a GOP administration within the next 10 or 20 years?

I'm looking specifically for conservative, traditionalist, or RW Populist domestic legislation and economic legislation. I might have what you suggest. 

Consider this: 

What do you think passes if the GOP has 55 US Senators and 55% of the US House and the president is: 

• Ron DeSantis
  • Ted Cruz
  • MTG
  • Tim Scott
  • Nikki Haley
  • Charlie Baker
  • Mike Pence
  • Tom Cotton
  • Josh Hawley
  • Marco Rubio
  • Matt Gaetz

You might already have some of this, but:

Voter ID Laws
Religious Freedom laws
Privatize Veterans Healthcare
Privatize Social Security
Privatize Education
Some kind of regulation of "Fake News"?

I just looked up the 2020 Republican platform -- and there wasn't one.  They released a fancy declaration that just says "Whatever Trump Wants."  For real.

As for what Trump wanted, according to his own release:

Lower taxes
Fair Trade Deals
Made In America Tax Credits
Expand Opportunity Zones
Deregulation to support energy independence
No government contracts for companies that outsource to China
Allow 100% tax deductions for "essential industries like pharmaceuticals and robotics" who bring back manufacturing operations to the US
Cut Prescription Drug prices
"Put Patients and doctors back in charge of the healthcare system" (whatever that means?)
Lower healthcare insurance premiums
No surprise healthcare bills
Teach "American Exceptionalism" in schools
Pass Congressional Term Limits
"End bureaucratic government bullying of US citizens and small businesses"
"Drain the globalist swamp by taking on International organizations that hurt American Citizens"
Hire more police
Increase criminal penalties for assaults on law enforcement officers (unless you assault an officer on January 6th, I guess)
Prosecute drive-by shootings as acts of domestic terrorism
Bring violent extremist groups like ANITFA to justice
End cashless bail and keep violent criminals in jail until trial
Block illegal immigrants from receiving tax-funded welfare (Education, healthcare, etc)
Mandatory deportation for non-citizen gang members
Dismantle human trafficking networks
End sanctuary cities
Prohibit American companies from replacing US citizen employees with lower-cost foreign workers
Require new immigrants to be able to support themselves financially
Launch Space Force
Establish permanent manned presence on the Moon
Send first manned mission to Mars
Win the race to 5G and establish national high-speed wireless internet network
Partner with other nations to clean up our planet's oceans
Stop endless wars and bring our troops home
Get Allies to pay their fair share (foreign affairs)
Maintain and expand military strength
Wipe out global terrorists who threaten to harm Americans
Cybersecurity Defense System
Missile Defense System
Protect unborn life through every means available
Defend freedoms of religious believers and organizations
Support exercise of second amendment rights

36 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I just looked up the 2020 Republican platform -- and there wasn't one.  They released a fancy declaration that just says "Whatever Trump Wants."

That was one of the things that defeated him in 2020. His whole 2020 campaign was a mess. No platform. No Message. The Convention was completely rudderless. 

Okay, I've added about 12 of the things you've listed since they aren't on the legis prop yet. Thanks!

• Like 1

Ok, I'm going to creating a ton of columns in the master spreadsheets to make it easier to extract information for Anthony. Currently, one cell might say something like "25% chance - Rel with Fr; 25% chance - econ stab; 75% chance + dom stab; 50% chance + party pref". I'm going to make it so that each thing "Rel with France" will have its own column. In fact, "Rel with Fr +" "Rel with Fr -" will have their own columns. The % chance of these will be listed underneath. While doing this, I'll also proofread and add descriptions. This will probably take me some time. Will do the same with legis prop, pres actions, gov actions, etc. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok, I'm going to creating a ton of columns in the master spreadsheets to make it easier to extract information for Anthony. Currently, one cell might say something like "25% chance - Rel with Fr; 25% chance - econ stab; 75% chance + dom stab; 50% chance + party pref". I'm going to make it so that each thing "Rel with France" will have its own column. In fact, "Rel with Fr +" "Rel with Fr -" will have their own columns. The % chance of these will be listed underneath. While doing this, I'll also proofread and add descriptions. This will probably take me some time. Will do the same with legis prop, pres actions, gov actions, etc. 

Actually, before I do this, I'm adding a bunch of flavor events to set the tone for the eras. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Consider this: 

• Ron DeSantis
  • Ted Cruz
  • MTG
  • Tim Scott
  • Nikki Haley
  • Charlie Baker
  • Mike Pence
  • Tom Cotton
  • Josh Hawley
  • Marco Rubio
  • Matt Gaetz

Baker would be a moderate, so he’d be different than the rest.

For the others:

Balanced Budget Amendment (doesn’t pass but proposed and voted on)

Abolishing Department of Ed and making education specifically a state responsibility

School choice (vouchers)

Ban government vaccine mandates (considered but unsure if passes)

Ban all vaccine mandates (proposed but likely not much movement outside of the more populist figures)

Flat tax (or national consumption tax at the extreme)

Withdrawing from/Defunding  international organizations (UN, WHO, World Bank, etc)

Reform NATO (require increased contributions from member countries)

Privatize Social Security/Medicare

Space Force stuff

Ban funding to illegal immigrants (defunding localities which defy the federal government)

National concealed carry reciprocity

National stand your ground

National constitutional carry (concealed carry without permit)

Term limits

Voter ID

Reform gerrymandering (populist only)

Allow civil suits against news organizations which create/spread fake news

Religious freedom laws (targeted at states/local governments which infringe upon religious freedom)

Nullification/secession constitutional amendment

Eliminate birthright citizenship based on location (ie born in the US = citizen)

Reform surveillance powers (populists)

Expand surveillance powers (conservatives like Haley/Cotton)

Immigration based on points based system

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@vcczar General thought:

I wonder if most/all of the CPU appointment rules (appointing Senators, Cabinet Members, military, backup Governors if the main governor dies, etc) could be simplified to something like the following:

---
CPU appoints a random eligible person in the highest category available (if no one is available in the first category, they move to the next category - etc.)

MILITARY/CABINET (posts where competency is most important)

1)  Someone from their own faction with at least a 3 in the relevant category.
2)  Someone from their own party with at least a 3 in the relevant category 
3)  Anyone at all with at least a 3 in the relevant category
4) Anyone from their own faction
5) Anyone from their own party
6)  Anyone at all

SENATE/REP/GOVERNOR (posts where loyalty is most important)

1) Someone from their own faction, whose personal ideology matches the appointer's personal ideology
2)  Someone from their own faction
3)  Someone from their own party, whose personal ideology matches the appointer's personal ideology
4)  Someone from their own party
5)  Anyone at all, whose personal ideology matches the appointer's personal ideology
6)  Anyone at all

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar General thought:

I wonder if most/all of the CPU appointment rules (appointing Senators, Cabinet Members, military, backup Governors if the main governor dies, etc) could be simplified to something like the following:

---
CPU appoints a random eligible person in the highest category available (if no one is available in the first category, they move to the next category - etc.)

MILITARY/CABINET (posts where competency is most important)

1)  Someone from their own faction with at least a 3 in the relevant category.
2)  Someone from their own party with at least a 3 in the relevant category 
3)  Anyone at all with at least a 3 in the relevant category
4) Anyone from their own faction
5) Anyone from their own party
6)  Anyone at all

SENATE/REP/GOVERNOR (posts where loyalty is most important)

1) Someone from their own faction, whose personal ideology matches the appointer's personal ideology
2)  Someone from their own faction
3)  Someone from their own party, whose personal ideology matches the appointer's personal ideology
4)  Someone from their own party
5)  Anyone at all, whose personal ideology matches the appointer's personal ideology
6)  Anyone at all

I’ll compare and contrast them when I can. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

On a related note (which I'm sure can come up in a game like this), roughly how many American Cabinet Secretaries have been appointed to the Cabinets of two or more Administrations (or just not formally dismissed in the transmission period between two)?

Adams kept all of Washington’s for a few years. Jefferson, Madison, Monroe shared a few. Lincoln and A Johnson. McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft. Obama kept Gates from Bush. VPs that became president on a president’s death kept some as well. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Adams kept all of Washington’s for a few years. Jefferson, Madison, Monroe shared a few. Lincoln and A Johnson. McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft. Obama kept Gates from Bush. VPs that became president on a president’s death kept some as well. 

There's also folks who aren't kept on when political parties change, but come back when their party wins again. 

Mitch McConnell's wife Elaine Chao has served in every Republican administration since Ronald Reagan, including cabinet posts for George W Bush and Donald Trump.  Obama brought back Clinton people, George W Bush obviously brought back some of his dad's people, etc.

To a certain degree, it makes sense:  Most of them are literally the most experienced people in the world at being cabinet secretaries, because it's a job that few people will ever get the chance to do.  Of course, whether it's a good thing depends on how you feel about them personally.

Just ecoh-ing the idea @MrPotatoTed had about trading (As in favors, not trading politicians) So yes vote on Supreme court nom for yes vote on leg. It can be negotiated between factions, and if you fail to follow the promise (or ai does which can be a low chance) there is a large loss for points, and every faction in that party loses opinion/relationship with you which will make swinging them to your side and trading with them more difficult. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical

3 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Just ecoh-ing the idea @MrPotatoTed had about trading (As in favors, not trading politicians) So yes vote on Supreme court nom for yes vote on leg. It can be negotiated between factions, and if you fail to follow the promise (or ai does which can be a low chance) there is a large loss for points, and every faction in that party loses opinion/relationship with you which will make swinging them to your side and trading with them more difficult. 

We already have Presidential Promises. This additional thing is possible if I can figure out how to implement it. 

Legislation needs an indicator of what non-legislation lingering effects it turns off.

Some are obvious.  "No Naval Academy" is clearly cancelled out by "Naval Academy."

But others are more nebulous.  Is "Leave all infrastructure policy to the states" cancelled by things like "National Road" or "Coastal Harbors and LIghthouses"?

On 12/27/2021 at 4:21 PM, vcczar said:

Consider this: 

• Ron DeSantis
  • Ted Cruz
  • MTG
  • Tim Scott
  • Nikki Haley
  • Charlie Baker
  • Mike Pence
  • Tom Cotton
  • Josh Hawley
  • Marco Rubio
  • Matt Gaetz

Not sure if these are all GOP goals but here are some ideas I had:

• Only recognize Taiwan (switches Ambassador from PRC to ROC; increases tensions with China)
  • Resolution to pressure other countries to follow America's lead on isolating China
  • Flag Desecration Amendment
  • Mandatory federal death penalty for cop killers
  • Moratorium on Federal death penalty
  • Prohibit all animal testing (could unite left- and right-wing populists as well as liberals I guess)
  • Outlaw hunting (same odd coalition of supporters as above)
  • Prohibit force feeding of animals (decreases relations with France (foie gras))
  • Outlaw battery cages
  • Outlaw the production/trade/or even wearing of fur clothing
  • Sanctions on the Nord Stream 2 pipeline
  • Increase/decrease sanctions on North Korea
  • Prohibit school books which feature maps with North Korea as an independent and recognized country
  • Publicly recognize the Armenian genocide
  • Legislation to erect Federal monuments remembering the Holocaust
  • Publicly recognize the Korean comfort women/Deny the existence of comfort women (depending on the choice made could decrease relations with Japan; increase relations with South Korea if in game)
  • Some Wikileaks/Edward Snowden/Chelsea Manning related stuff 
  • Increase/decrease number of Medal of Honor recipients
  • Historical action: award the first Black soldier the Medal of Honor
  • Historical action: declare March 25 as "National Medal of Honor Day"
  • Allow the President to award Presidential Medals of Freedom to politicians or to promote a certain sector (science, education, technology, environmentalism, theocrats etc.)
  • Increase/decrease the number of Congressional Gold Medals
  • Increase/decrease the number of dry counties (potentially better as Governor action)
  • Promote 1776 Commission/1619 Project in school curriculums (maybe also a better Governor action?)

54 minutes ago, Patine said:

Was flag desecration really promoted for a whole amendment? 

Yes it was.

55 minutes ago, Patine said:

And I thought the banning of all maps showing North Korea as a separate nation legally in all schools was only a thing in South Korea (and Constitutionally unsustainable in the U.S.).

I don't know, it was just an idea.

@vcczar I think we need to remove historical era card restrictions -- mostly because the restrictions were added late in development, so they don't pair well with the rules and other tabs.

For example, it is not possible to ban slavery in a state unless you have the civil rights card, but the civil rights card can not be activated until 1820 per the historical era card restrictions.  This means the soonest a state can ban slavery, is 1820 -- even though six states had already banned slavery before that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar I think we need to remove historical era card restrictions -- mostly because the restrictions were added late in development, so they don't pair well with the rules and other tabs.

For example, it is not possible to ban slavery in a state unless you have the civil rights card, but the civil rights card can not be activated until 1820 per the historical era card restrictions.  This means the soonest a state can ban slavery, is 1820 -- even though six states had already banned slavery before that.

great catch

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Yeah, let's just open all the cards immediately then.

• Like 1

Creating the Senate and House offices currently gives zero points and has zero impact on the meters -- so CPU teams will never propose them, and most players likely won't either.  Might be worth another look -- maybe it gives points to reformists?  And/or impacts domestic stability or something like that?

• Thanks 1

Adding states carries a chance of lowering domestic stability.  I can understand why, with the free state vs. slave state debate...but it's likely creating a chilling factor preventing the addition of states because improving meters is so hard (we currently have four crises, including one that could create a civil war and two that could create a game-over event.)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Patine said:

I highly disagree if many of the hypothetical States @vcczar has in mind are among later potential additions, though. The issues that would make them ranging from difficult to govern to close to ungovernable, realistically, have nothing to do with the issues around the U.S. Civil War.

Sure, you're talking about Brazil.

I'm talking about Kentucky.