The Political Lounge

Should I get Stellaris or EU4

DakotaHale

Which one should I get :o  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I get :o

• Stellaris
    • Europa Universalis IV

I prefer Stellaris. EU4 is the only paradox game I cant really get into.

If you like sci fi, committing genocide against an entire species, doomsday scenarios end of world like Mass Effect, and building a space empire of authoritarian frog people... Stellaris is for you.

• Based 1

I could never get into EU4, but I absolutely love Stellaris! One of my favorite parts of the game is just making different space empires, and creating backstories for how they came to be, and what their driving principles are. The gameplay's pretty fun too, especially if you're into sci-fi, and 4x games. One of my favorite experiences in Stellaris is playing as a genocidal AI empire, stumbling across a primitive, undeveloped species on a backwater planet, and wiping it from the face of existence with extreme prejudice, before repeating the process in another star system. There's also plenty of mods for Stellaris that can turn it into pretty much any sci-fi media franchise (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.)

• Agree 1
  • Based 1

8 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

If it makes a difference I plan on buying either game with all of the DLC during the current sale.

I don’t know about Stellaris but it absolutely makes a difference with EU4. The DLC basically makes the game worth playing since EU4 was released before games were actually fully enjoyable on launch (HOI4, CK3)

Edited by Rezi
  • Based 1

@DakotaHale EU4 is one of the best games ever made in my opinion. I haven't played Stellaris. I'd rank the Paradox games like this:

1. EU4 99/100
  2. CK3 95/100
  3. Victoria II 82/100 
  4. March of the Eagle 80/100
  5. HOI whatever the latest version is 75/100
  6. Imperator 72/100

EU is the game that made Paradox. It has the most depth and replay value, I think. It also has a lot of DLC and free DLC in the Steam workshop. I recommend the Extended Timeline. You do need most of the DLC for maximum EU4 playability, however. 

34 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@DakotaHale EU4 is one of the best games ever made in my opinion. I haven't played Stellaris. I'd rank the Paradox games like this:

1. EU4 99/100
  2. CK3 95/100
  3. Victoria II 82/100 
  6. Imperator 72/100

EU is the game that made Paradox. It has the most depth and replay value, I think. It also has a lot of DLC and free DLC in the Steam workshop. I recommend the Extended Timeline. You do need most of the DLC for maximum EU4 playability, however. 

Personally I think CK2 is king. To each their own. There's just nothing comparable to combining grand strategy with RPG elements. That Trumps any other game alone imo.

• Based 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

1. EU4 99/100
  2. CK3 95/100
  3. Victoria II 82/100 
  6. Imperator 72/100

HOI4 does look like a fun game, but I believe someone made Park Jie-won a Libertarian in one of those mods.:classic_huh:

• Like 1

Victoria 2 will always be king in my book. I love the LARP that comes with its pop and econ system that doesn't match any other paradox game. Also cause gas attack and slaughtering conscripts.

Edited by Cenzonico
much ---> match
  • Based 2

I have been a paradox fan all my life. Here is my ranking of all the newest titles

(1) EU4 96/100

(2) CK3 95/100

(3) Victoria 2 93/100

(4)Stellaris 89/100

(5)Hearts of iron 4 72/100 

(6)March of the eagles 70/100

(7) Imperator (even after the updates) 63/100

Edited by themiddlepolitical
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, themiddlepolitical said:

I have been a paradox fan all my life. Here is my ranking of all the newest titles

(1) EU4 96/100

(2) CK3 95/100

(3) Victoria 2 93/100

(4)Stellaris 89/100

(5)Hearts of iron 4 72/100 

(6)March of the eagles 70/100

(7) Imperator (even after the updates) 63/100

Based and “HOI is the worst of the major paradox series’” pilled (I wouldn’t consider MOTE and Imperator to be major games).

• Sad 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, Pringles said:

Damn HOI haters and EU4 lovers. 😡

Well, since we're all gonna die, there's one more secret I feel I have to share with you

I did not care for "Hearts of Iron"

What?

Did not care for "Hearts of Iron".

How can you even say that, Rezi?

Didn't like- Didn't like it.

Rezi, it's so good. It's like the perfect game.

I- This is what everyone always says. Whenever they say, it's like, "Oh my..." Everyone always says-

Germany, The United Kingdom, I mean,

Listen-

You never see- THE SOVIET UNION?!

I know, l uh eh, FINE fine ideas, did not like the game.

Why not?

Did not- couldn't get into it.

Explain yourself. What didn't you like about it?

It insists upon itself.

What?

It insists upon itself.

What does that even mean?

'CAUSE IT HAS A VALID POINT TO MAKE, IT'S INSISTING!

It takes forever gettin' in. They spend nearly six and a half hours, and then- You know, I can't even get through it, I can't even finish the game. I've never even finished World War II.

YOU'VE NEVER FINISHED THE GAME?!

Well, how can you say you don't like it if you haven't even given it a chance?

I agree, it's not really fair.

It's outrageous.

I have tried on three separate occasions to get through it. And I- I get to the part where you're micromanaging your army on three different fronts

Yeah, It's great gameplay-

And Germany-

I love that part.

It's NOT  great-

It's been noted in every annal.

I have no idea what the enjoyment is. It's like the game is playing in a different world- That's where I lose interest and I walk away.

You know what, Rezi-

It's playing WAR PLANS!

The game they're playing is a game of subtlety, something you don't understand.

I love "Crusader Kings." That is my answer to that statement.

Exactly.

Well there you go

Whatever.

I like that game, too.

Edited by Rezi
  • Haha 1
  • Based 1

I think CK3 will become the best game in all the paradox genre when the new dlc comes out...Then when Victoria 3 comes out that will become the best game.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rezi said:

Well, since we're all gonna die, there's one more secret I feel I have to share with you

I did not care for "Hearts of Iron"

What?

Did not care for "Hearts of Iron".

How can you even say that, Rezi?

Didn't like- Didn't like it.

Rezi, it's so good. It's like the perfect movie.

I- This is what everyone always says. Whenever they say, it's like, "Oh my..." Everyone always says-

Germany, The United Kingdom, I mean,

Listen-

You never see- THE SOVIET UNION?!

I know, l uh eh, FINE fine ideas, did not like the game.

Why not?

Did not- couldn't get into it.

Explain yourself. What didn't you like about it?

It insists upon itself.

What?

It insists upon itself.

What does that even mean?

'CAUSE IT HAS A VALID POINT TO MAKE, IT'S INSISTING!

It takes forever gettin' in. They spend nearly six and a half hours, and then- You know, I can't even get through it, I can't even finish the game. I've never even finished World War II.

YOU'VE NEVER FINISHED THE GAME?!

Well, how can you say you don't like it if you haven't even given it a chance?

I agree with, it's not really fair.

It's outrageous.

I have tried on three separate occasions to get through it. And I- I get to the part where you're micromanaging your army on three different fronts

Yeah, It's great gameplay-

And Germany-

I love that part.

It's NOT  great-

It's been noted in every annal.

I have no idea what the enjoyment is. It's like the game is playing in a different world- That's where I lose interest and I walk away.

You know what, Rezi-

It's playing WAR PLANS!

The game they're playing is a game of subtlety, something you don't understand.

I love "Europa Universalis." That is my answer to that statement.

Exactly.

Well there you go

Whatever.

I like that game, too.

Your point is somewhat valid about HOI4. 

To make HOI3 and HOI2 (Darkest Hour) such a mockery is not in good spirit! 😛 

EU4 is just a boring wannabe economic, naval, colonial management simulator that doesn't have anything unique compared to the other games. And god, I feel like you can't even finish a game with as bland as it is, no cool events like CK2 has! 😛 

EU4 is only popular because of the multiplayer communities that started on it and the ones we all know and love today are now major YT channels 🤧

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm kind of wondering why a lot of people on this forum seem to speak as if only Paradox actually makes nation-building strategy names, and obvious omission and even exemption of them (such as finite poll choices and rankings) reinforce that? This an honest question, and not an attack or attempt to cause chaos, but I would appreciate sincere and civil answers, though.

Personally it’s because I haven’t enjoyed Grand Strategy games by any other company, granted I haven’t tried many. I know many people like the total war games, but I haven’t tried those yet. I’ve also tried the Civilization games, but personally don’t enjoy them. I own Civ III, Civ V, and Civ VI but have yet to actually find entertainment in any of them. Don’t know why, I just can’t get into them. The only Sid Meiers/Civilization game I’ve found enjoyment in was Civilization Revolution on the PS3, which was my first exposure to these types of games. 

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm kind of wondering why a lot of people on this forum seem to speak as if only Paradox actually makes nation-building strategy names, and obvious omission and even exemption of them (such as finite poll choices and rankings) reinforce that? This an honest question, and not an attack or attempt to cause chaos, but I would appreciate sincere and civil answers, though.

Because I'm not so big on the Civilization games, I like the Age of Empire games. (I did play a shit ton of CIV 5. Barely have touched 6 at all.) 

Outside of AOE and Civ, paradox is the largest, most up to date, most efficient and refined creator of grand strategy games and most others aren't worth considering. 

(Sid Meier's Pirates is an honorable mention here too.)

Games like Power and Revolution... and a few others of that caliber. Are garbage...

And yes, I am in a paradox bubble. I've played paradox games ever since I've been on steam, I plan to continue playing paradox games until the day I inevitably die. 

Edited by Pringles
  • Agree 1