DakotaHale

Which one should I get :o  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I get :o

• Stellaris
    • Europa Universalis IV

9 hours ago, Timur said:

What is Geopolitical Simulator like?

I had a successful playthrough of this in c. 2012. It wasn't as buggy as it apparently is now. However, you run out of things to do after a few years. I was able to win a massive landslide with a infrastructure bill. Economy soared and the people were happy. However, in my first term I had accomplished all the flashy proposals. In my 2nd term, approval was falling and I had no popular options left. I ended up banning guns, and the country went into revolt, and I was overthrown by force. Playing as the US is really unrealistic. The president can easily operate like a dictator--for instance, I had no struggle banning guns. I doubt even banning guns would lead to a 50 state revolt and citizen army rushing to Washington DC over the course of a year to fight the military in an attempt to toss the president out of office. First, they would all have to quit their job for a year to fight. I probably could have held office if I knew how to use the military in the game. 

One time I played, Cuba invaded Florida and took it because I couldn't use the military. I'm not even sure why Cuba declared war on me. 

I played as Somalia once and lost in a week because I decreased funding for my body guards to use it on the people. My president was lynched by a mob. 

• Based 1

I also bought Ready or Not (that new US-based SWAT simulator game) and it's hard as balls. 80% of the games I play I get killed (though I'll say I'm playing unrealistically in that I try to give them a chance to surrender to law enforcement instead of opening fire immediately).

• Based 1

15 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I also bought Ready or Not (that new US-based SWAT simulator game) and it's hard as balls. 80% of the games I play I get killed (though I'll say I'm playing unrealistically in that I try to give them a chance to surrender to law enforcement instead of opening fire immediately).

I've heard good things about it, kind of like an Arma game I've heard. Been wanting a decent military sim lately. Might give it a go sometime when its more fleshed out.

Just now, Pringles said:

I've heard good things about it, kind of like an Arma game I've heard. Been wanting a decent military sim lately. Might give it a go sometime when its more fleshed out.

Yeah there's only like seven different levels right now (but you can choose between different variations within the same level; swat raid, active shooter event, hostage situation, bomb defusal, etc. all on the same map). It's fun and the gun and gameplay is great, but definitely feels a little bare in some areas. I never played Arma so I cannot give a fair comparison there but it's definitely a fun game, I recommend it, but if you can't stand early-access titles (which is fair), I'd suggest waiting.

1 hour ago, DakotaHale said:

Decided to troll my wallet and bought both

troll.png.93a0038782251ce4a0dc846271182855.png

A thing that I love which I wonder if @vcczar can implement into AMPU, is the automatic story writer that EU4 has. The summary it writes in story form.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Also just bought Cities Skylines. My wallet would probably put a hit on me if it could afford to.

Not touching Imperator though.

City Skylines another need in the paradox series, I hope you have a good PC though. I use to play on my gaming laptop when it first came out and it started being pretty laggy, new PC I built handles it easy though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed Steam trolled my ass with EU4. I bought the game with all DLC for $190. (The base game was $10 on sale and the DLC was $180 on sale)

Just noticed upon opening the game for the first time that they do a thing where if you pay $5/month you get all past, present, and future DLC releases for free (which, if I spent the $180 that could go to 3 years worth of playing the game, by that time Vic3 will be out, and maybe another title of Paradox's, plus I get access to future DLC whereas if I just bought the Ultimate Edition I'd still have to keep buying the new DLC to have a complete set.)

Refunded the game. Next sale is in 17 days and I'll buy the base game then. I'm just a businessman doing business.

• Based 1

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't like gimmicks in games like DLC's, and especially not subscriptions as opposed to ownership. I like to own the game, with maybe one or several solid content expansions, and fan-made content and mods, which often can't legally be sold. Other than MMO's (whose design seems to pivot on that model), subscription and DLC-based games I avoid like the plague, and I only play a very few MMO's anymore, in any case.

Yeah I usually prefer to own as well, but paying ~$200 just to complete a collection for an 8 year old game (and having to buy the future DLC releases later if I still want to complete it) is kind of ridiculous in and of itself. Most likely I won't be playing this game for over 3 years anyways so that's how I justify it. Totally agree in 99% of cases though.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I don't like gimmicks in games like DLC's, and especially not subscriptions as opposed to ownership. I like to own the game, with maybe one or several solid content expansions, as well as fan-made content and mods, which often can't legally be sold. Other than MMO's (whose design seems to pivot on that model), subscription and DLC-based games I avoid like the plague, and I only play a very few MMO's anymore, in any case.

1 hour ago, DakotaHale said:

Yeah I usually prefer to own as well, but paying ~$200 just to complete a collection for an 8 year old game (and having to buy the future DLC releases later if I still want to complete it) is kind of ridiculous in and of itself. Most likely I won't be playing this game for over 3 years anyways so that's how I justify it. Totally agree in 99% of cases though.

I typically agree, but their model is different. By using DLC to upgrade the current game, it allows them to continue to improve it in major ways (such as new concepts) without launching a completely new game (which would cost more in the long run). The benefit of getting major changes which greatly enhances the game is better than getting stuck with the game at release which only gives small updates.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m kinda fucked in stellaris. Been playing this one save for a couple weeks. The Khans invaded and are fricking up the bottom half of the map (far from me thankfully but are getting closer). I can take them alone one on one if needed.

The interdimensional guys showed up and outnumber me drastically. They plopped on my border and thankfully went into my enemies territory. 

A couple months after that the fallen empire bordering me, my buddy, and the aforementioned enemy woke up and is rebuilding its military to conquer its previous land (I have the three of its previous holy worlds in my territories).

Welp it was a good run bois. 

Here’s how I’ve been referring to each NPC empire

Space America - Me (basically been the peacekeeper of the world, Space Israel is a speck military/economics wise and has drug me into change ideology/liberation wars). Economic and military powerhouse but lagging tech wise.

Space Nazis - Space Israel and space HRE killed them in the beginning of the game. RIP

Space NATO - First ally and absolute chads. Border Space HRE and Me

Space Israel - Very weak nation that loves declaring convert ideology/liberation wars on the HRE in my federation (thus dragging us in). All ended in draws.

Space Mexicans - They were getting their shit kicked by the Space KKK and wanted to become my vassal and ally and I accepted. But they spam me with migration treaties.

Space Las Vegas - fuckers keep putting criminal corporations on my planet

Space Holy Roman Empire - Borders me and Space Nato. Dictatorship with sizeable military. White peace wars with me and Space Israel. Leader in technology by far. Currently getting mogged by the interdimensional guys.

Space Australia - Ally on the bottom of the map. I keep forgetting they’re there.

Space Poland - Very unfortunate position in the world where they’ve been in the middle of every galactic conflict. Worst empire in every metric. Currently under occupation by the Khans. No allies and everyone hates them for some reason. 

Bottom Left Dudes - On the opposite side of the map. Khans started here and split them in half. Don’t know much about them.

Space Mormons - They don’t do anything but they’re a spiritual empire and a democracy technically so they’re in my federation of allies.

Space KKK - Kinda weak militarily but keep beating the shit out of the Mexicans for some reason. Very xenophobic.

Fallen Empires:

Space Catholics - holy world dudes who just woke up and decided to crusade

Space Roombas - robot guys on the other side of the map

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Space Catholics - holy world dudes who just woke up and decided to crusade

Why can I visualize this in my head and suddenly become terrified of space-like Crusaders with a Templar Cross of Halo-like space armor bullshittery and ya just get obliterated by the spirit of God. 😛 

30 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Space Las Vegas - fuckers keep putting criminal corporations on my planet

Hmm sounds like a fun place. 😛 I recall a MegaCorp game I did. I was basically Space Frog Las Vegas. Yes, literal Frog people. 😛 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Why are these things in space, and why is there nothing out there in the vast depths other than robots not based on a modern or historical Earth archetype? Sounds like of cheesy to me...

because patine, not everything is based off non fiction and sometimes people want to play a sci-fi fiction game! please stick to being a social worker and not a gamer 

-from your buddy, carbonmonoxide321, XOXO 

17 hours ago, Patine said:

Why are these things in space, and why is there nothing out there in the vast depths other than robots not based on a modern or historical Earth archetype? Sounds like of cheesy to me...

Only the one fallen empire is robotic. And their civilizations and government types are unique, the names I were calling them were made-up on the spot by me for a humor effect and to try to relate them to something familiar in me. But every other empire (besides the one) is populated by an organic lifeform of some sort (human, stertoeotypical aliens, lizardpeople, elven-looking humanoids, even wacky stuff like foxpeople, peacocks and rockpeople). It's a very fun game, reminds me of the earlier civ games (it's a true 4X grand strategy game). I don't know if you'd like it because of how modern it is (that's not a slight towards you; I just mean the game plays like a modern game especially in its UI and functionality). Though I do remember you having an interest in sci-fi and writing a book on it. Definitely do check it out if you have the time. It's a good game (STEEP learning curve though. Took me 10 hours before I learned how to play the game lol, but I did learn by playing the game though which I'll take any day over a boring tutorial).

On 1/9/2022 at 4:52 PM, DakotaHale said:

Just noticed Steam trolled my ass with EU4. I bought the game with all DLC for $190. (The base game was $10 on sale and the DLC was $180 on sale)

Just noticed upon opening the game for the first time that they do a thing where if you pay $5/month you get all past, present, and future DLC releases for free (which, if I spent the $180 that could go to 3 years worth of playing the game, by that time Vic3 will be out, and maybe another title of Paradox's, plus I get access to future DLC whereas if I just bought the Ultimate Edition I'd still have to keep buying the new DLC to have a complete set.)

Refunded the game. Next sale is in 17 days and I'll buy the base game then. I'm just a businessman doing business.

Just rebought EU4 for $10 and bought the DLC subscription for $5 a month. Much more preferable.