The Political Lounge

Steak Doneness Poll

DakotaHale

Steak Doneness Poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer the doneness of your steaks?

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I have to manually point this out (poll choices on this forum as a whole REALLY need improvement, especially if certain posters like to indignantly pester about, "don't forget to take the poll," just for posting something on that that thread).

Forget to not take the poll

• Haha 2

I usually eat it rare, but occasionally blue or medium-rare depending on the steak. If I'm going to a fancy steakhouse I'm ordering medium-rare. Medium-rare is probably the "objectively" correct way to eat a steak if there was one. If I'm going to a Texas Roadhouse or some cheaper steakhouse I order rare because they usually overcook it to medium-rare anyways.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I haven't eaten steak in years. There are so many ways to enjoy beef that are highly flavourable - and without being overpriced or having bones involved in the meal itself (I'm aware all meat comes from bones at some point, but I really can't stand dealing with them on my plate - it makes me feel like a caveman). Since there's no option for, "doesn't eat steak," I have to manually point this out (poll choices on this forum as a whole REALLY need improvement, especially if certain posters like to indignantly pester about, "don't forget to take the poll," just for posting something on that that thread).

Fillet steaks aren't on bones

• Like 2

I used to eat steak well done.  I didn't even know this was weird, until I was in the military and befriended a Texan who lost his goddamned mind.  Haha.    

But steaks that are medium or less just are too chewy for me -- too fatty or something.  I don't know, it's a texture thing. I gag on it.

So I settle for medium-well, which tastes perfect when done correctly.  

And my favorite is filet mignon.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

So I settle for medium-well

38 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

And my favorite is filet mignon.

Oh my lord the humanity! If you want to chew shoe leather just do that! Don’t pay a filet mignon equivalent for it!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Rezi said:

I would ask our two well-done fans why they prefer it that way, but they can't answer because they're still chewing.

8 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

I usually eat it rare, but occasionally blue or medium-rare depending on the steak. If I'm going to a fancy steakhouse I'm ordering medium-rare. Medium-rare is probably the "objectively" correct way to eat a steak if there was one. If I'm going to a Texas Roadhouse or some cheaper steakhouse I order rare because they usually overcook it to medium-rare anyways.

I order Rare ONLY if it's a good place, I don't trust eating low quality steak rare like at Texas Roadhouse, that is asking for food poisoning. If you go to a super nice steakhouse that's when it should be ordered rare. Med-Rare normally though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

I order Rare ONLY if it's a good place, I don't trust eating low quality steak rare like at Texas Roadhouse, that is asking for food poisoning. If you go to a super nice steakhouse that's when it should be ordered rare. Med-Rare normally though. 

Texas Roadhouse IS our super nice steakhouse.  ;c)

Also, is this the part where I reveal that I douse my filet mignon in A1 Steak Sauce?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Also, is this the part where I reveal that I douse my filet mignon in A1 Steak Sauce?

I am a secret A1 Steak sauce lover and grew up on that and cheap clearance walmart steaks for fancy meals shhhh 😉

• Like 1
  • Based 3

59 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

One of the measures of a steak being good is it not needing A1.

• Agree 1

I chose medium because that's typically what I get in an unfamiliar place, just in case. 

But places around here I know... especially some of my favorite super good restaurants in the city, I get medium rare, and I hold the A1 for a steak that truly doesn't need it. 

• Based 1

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'd still prefer a good hamburger, burrito, donair, plate of ginger beef, or quite a lot of other beef dishes to a steak, really.

Nothing beats a GREAT steak (beef wise). But I agree many many things beat a normal to good steak. 

Can we all talk about another red meat, how good LAMB is? Nothing beats lamb curry with some naan, and also a lamb and rice plate from a halal cart in the middle of the city.

Edited by themiddlepolitical
  • Based 1

7 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Nothing beats a GREAT steak (beef wise). But I agree many many things beat a normal to good steak. 

Can we all talk about another red meat, how good LAMB is? Nothing beats lamb curry with some naan, and also a lamb and rice plate from a halal cart in the middle of the city.

Plus lamb isn't as factory farmed as cow, win win.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

18 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Cooked lamb today actually. Saw some cheap lamb marked down half off at Walmart and couldn’t pass it up. Never really done it before so I cooked it like I would a steak (I assume they’re the same). Cooked mine blue rare and cooked my friend’s medium-ish (he has never gone below medium-rare in his life). I know pictures aren’t much to go on but if anyone has any advice (besides that I seared them too hot lmao) or general pointers I’ll take it.

First two pics are my blue one and the third is the one I gave my buddy:

75467003-82CA-478B-AF9A-DE14D560288B.jpeg.f3df9f0aed1e147760a6d04a0af03acb.jpeg E9DDBF9E-6F20-45C8-9011-A96D9E964562.jpeg.e9528f5b3f0625d78362dac45d0786da.jpeg 860A35A4-6E97-462F-AE7A-6AAF620A6562.jpeg.f8f496c0941d1849d4a6031bfb30a749.jpeg

17 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Cooked lamb today actually. Saw some cheap lamb marked down half off at Walmart and couldn’t pass it up. Never really done it before so I cooked it like I would a steak (I assume they’re the same). Cooked mine blue rare and cooked my friend’s medium-ish (he has never gone below medium-rare in his life). I know pictures aren’t much to go on but if anyone has any advice (besides that I seared them too hot lmao) or general pointers I’ll take it.

First two pics are my blue one and the third is the one I gave my buddy:

75467003-82CA-478B-AF9A-DE14D560288B.jpeg.f3df9f0aed1e147760a6d04a0af03acb.jpeg E9DDBF9E-6F20-45C8-9011-A96D9E964562.jpeg.e9528f5b3f0625d78362dac45d0786da.jpeg 860A35A4-6E97-462F-AE7A-6AAF620A6562.jpeg.f8f496c0941d1849d4a6031bfb30a749.jpeg

Actually looks really good, yum!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, themiddlepolitical said:

I tried lamb a long time ago at a "Greek" festival down here and it was really good. Although I don't eat it regularly at home, I enjoy it. 

• Like 1