The Political Lounge

Wisconsin 2022 Senate Election

Sean F Kennedy

Who would you vote for in the Wisconsin Senate race?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for in the Wisconsin Senate race?

• Mandela Barnes (D)
    • Ron Johnson (R)

7 hours ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

Barnes is the current Lieutenant Governor and is a more progressive Democrat, Ron Johnson is the incumbent Senator and comes from the Tea Party and Trump wing of the Republican Party, he is a huge proponent of vaccine skepticism.

He also toyed with The Great Replacement theory...

@Patine Mandela Barnes is closer to Elizabeth Warren or possibly Bernie Sanders, AOC, etc. then the average Democrats. He's definitely a progressive. Probably, somewhat like Russ Feingold. Barnes is going to have an uphill battle for three reasons: 1) the incumbent decided to run for reelection. 2) WI is becoming more conservative. 3) Barnes is black in a very white state. His main advantage is that WI has always been a very populist state, and progressive politicians tend to do reasonably well in this state, even in conservative areas. 

Prior to Biden's low approval and when Johnson didn't seem like he'd run for reelection, I thought Barnes would likely win. I now don't think he will unless he ends up being really charismatic. I've never heard him speak. 

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

@Patine Mandela Barnes is closer to Elizabeth Warren or possibly Bernie Sanders, AOC, etc. then the average Democrats. He's definitely a progressive. Probably, somewhat like Russ Feingold. Barnes is going to have an uphill battle for three reasons: 1) the incumbent decided to run for reelection. 2) WI is becoming more conservative. 3) Barnes is black in a very white state. His main advantage is that WI has always been a very populist state, and progressive politicians tend to do reasonably well in this state, even in conservative areas. 

Prior to Biden's low approval and when Johnson didn't seem like he'd run for reelection, I thought Barnes would likely win. I now don't think he will unless he ends up being really charismatic. I've never heard him speak. 

You actually have heard him speak, he was one of the vice chairs of the Host Committee for the 2020 DNC in Milwaukee. He gave Wisconsin's delegate speech as well. Clearly it was not a Clinton or Obama moment from him 😉

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Dobs said:

You actually have heard him speak, he was one of the vice chairs of the Host Committee for the 2020 DNC in Milwaukee. He gave Wisconsin's delegate speech as well. Clearly it was not a Clinton or Obama moment from him 😉

Clearly not memorable if I don’t even remember him speaking.