The Political Lounge

Political Differences Poll

Sean F Kennedy

Political Differences poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you have in your life that has different political views than yourself?

• Parents/guardians
    • Siblings
    • Aunt/Uncles
    • Cousins
    • Significant Other/spouse
    • Child
    • Close Friends
    • N/A
  2. 2. Do you think it’s wrong to disassociate with other people for their political beliefs if it isn’t an extremely odious beliefs? (ethnic cleansing, white supremacy, extreme authoritarian beliefs)

• Yes it is wrong to cut ties with people for politics that doesn’t cross the line.
    • No it’s fair to cut ties with people who think differently than myself

The wording could be a little better. I almost didn't answer it because of how the 2nd question was phrased. 

My family is much more conservative than I am. I was born and raised in TX. My dad, had he lived to 2016, would have certainly voted for Trump. He voted for Romney in his last election. My uncle is most definitely a Trump supporter. One of my best friends is a Trump supporter. My older half-sister is a Trump supporter. However, the majority of my friends and associated are thankfully anti-Trump, even when they're Libertarians. 

I haven't cut myself off from any Trump supporters that I was friendly with before Trump ran in 2016, but I haven't made any pro-Trump friends since then, mainly because I ignore Trump supporters. I would likely not be friends with that one best friend that is a Trump supporter if I met him today. He's become a totally different person and the friendship is based more on pre-Trump memories. His belief in conspiracy theories and RW propaganda strangely coincides with his addiction to anxiety medication, which has resulted in him having to move into his parent's house. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The wording could be a little better. I almost didn't answer it because of how the 2nd question was phrased. 

My family is much more conservative than I am. I was born and raised in TX. My dad, had he lived to 2016, would have certainly voted for Trump. He voted for Romney in his last election. My uncle is most definitely a Trump supporter. One of my best friends is a Trump supporter. My older half-sister is a Trump supporter. However, the majority of my friends and associated are thankfully anti-Trump, even when they're Libertarians. 

I haven't cut myself off from any Trump supporters that I was friendly with before Trump ran in 2016, but I haven't made any pro-Trump friends since then, mainly because I ignore Trump supporters. I would likely not be friends with that one best friend that is a Trump supporter if I met him today. He's become a totally different person and the friendship is based more on pre-Trump memories. His belief in conspiracy theories and RW propaganda strangely coincides with his addiction to anxiety medication, which has resulted in him having to move into his parent's house. 

Yeah i realize that was poorly written after I posted it, I’m sorry to hear that happened to your friend. That must be really hard to go through and see happen to a friend.

Edited by Sean F Kennedy

Number 2 is tricky. In general, I think that cutting off a friendship or not talking to family members over political difference should not happen. A significant other is a different circumstance though, and it is not wrong to cut off such a relationship over political differences (assuming one is not bound by marriage vows, which is more in line with the first sentence).

Edited by jvikings1

For #2, I think not agreeing with someone is a legitimate reason to not want to associate with them BUT I personally wouldn’t do it, I just meant that I wouldn’t judge someone who did.

My best friend is an unironic Norse Pagan (right-wing), my business partner is a gay conservative, I have another buddy who’s an atheist syndicalist, and another best friend who is a redneck, Christian libertarian like me. I’ve also dated a Latina and a mixed girl once.

I don’t think I can ever date an atheist ever again though. Prob my only reservation. I’m fine with them as people but not as a romantic partner because of parenting values and whatnot. I’m not picky about the religion, (I’d date a Muslim or a Buddhist) but I won’t date an atheist anymore.

48 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Me as well. I judge right wing pagan larpers on a case-by-case basis. 

Does your friend happen to be around 6,9 and extremely muscular? 😛 Like this beast... 😛 

Game of Thrones' the Mountain Actor Reveals Body Transformation

Edited by Pringles
  • Haha 1

My step-brother, my step-mother, and my wife's parents all have some pretty toxic political beliefs (in some cases, arguably racist beliefs)-- but are otherwise good people, as long as the topics doesn't come up.

They know my beliefs, I know theirs.  

I can be "respectful" to all four of them.  But I don't "respect" any of them.  I consider them to be four of the stupidest people that I know -- but I'm not mean to stupid people.  We can have a nice meal together.  We can visit each other's homes for the holidays.  There never has to be a fight.  Only kind words need to be exchanged.

But behind my kind words and smiles, I'm thinking "My god, this person is just stunningly stupid."

So I just don't engage with them on anything in the news.  If they bring it up, I check out.  I will walk away.  I don't respect them enough to be remotely interested in their views on just about anything, at all.  I don't have to be rude about it.  But I don't care about their thoughts, because they are not good at thinking.

That's my policy on the people I actually know and care about.

But strangers voicing the same opinions?

Fuck em, I have no problem being rude to racist or homophobic people.

• Based 1

#1 is pretty simple as in most people do have different opinions, but they vary in whether they're more left or right than myself.

#2 is different for me. If people have different political opinions and aren't obnoxious about them, then I don't mind. If I ask not to talk about politics and they do so anyway, or make rude comments about it, then I feel free to do what I wish after that point.