The Political Lounge

Biden at 33% approval

themiddlepolitical

Do you approve of Biden's job so far  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Approve?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/01/12/bidens-approval-rating-new-low-covid-economy/9189510002/

Yes it's an outlier (though Quinippiac is a great pollster) But no matter what, this is a bad look for Biden.

Edited by themiddlepolitical
  • Agree 1

I would say that what hurts Biden the most is less the Afghanistan situation than the very high inflation which touches the US, even more than the EU

However in Canada inflation is very high aswell and I don't think that it has hurted Trudeau that much

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Edouard said:

I would say that what hurts Biden the most is less the Afghanistan situation than the very high inflation which touches the US, even more than the EU

However in Canada inflation is very high aswell and I don't think that it has hurted Trudeau that much

While I do agree, Afghanistan is clearly what began the downfall so to speak. I'd say if there were no inflation problems and Afghanistan was fresh in peoples minds, Biden would be down by an average of -5, to -7 or so like he was back in August-September, etc. 

My approval is based mostly on him being a much better alternative to Trump.

If the question was, "Do you think Biden has been a good president," I'd probably say no. I'd say below average, but not bad or failed.

Aside from COVID, the presidency has lacked the type of events that made bad or failed presidencies. I don't fault him too much for Afghanistan because 1) I think the Taliban would have retaken the country quickly regardless of the president taking us out of Afghanistan, and 2) I support the withdraw from Afghanistan. Where I think he's failing is his inability to get his agenda through Congress. I think the issues with inflation and COVID cases would be the same regardless of the president. The primary thing that I think is a failure that is under his control is the legislative roadblock. I think he also lacks leadership to inspire Democrats to passionately support him, especially in a time when polls are going against him. 

If I were to rank him as a president, I'd put him about where Rutherford B Hayes is. Of modern presidents, his closest analogy is probably Jimmy Carter, who is strangely also Trump's closest analogy. I think Trump is a mix of Nixon and Carter. I think Biden is a cross between Ford and Carter. 

I think due mostly to his age, I can't think of Biden really fighting himself into a powerful leader. He's gone from likable old man to confused old man--Dos Equis guy to Abraham Simpson. This said, I'd vote for him in a heart beat over Trump or DeSantis and encourage others to do the same. 

I'm certainly disappointed. I was thinking his years in the Senate would bring him an LBJ-like advantage as a president. While leagues a head of James Buchanan, Buchanan was another old politician with decades of experience who couldn't apply his experience as president. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Significant failures and not really any good done

1. Botched Afghanistan so bad that both the interventionist and anti-interventionist crowds condemned what happened.

2. Skyrocketing inflation

2b. Gas and groceries prices hit hard

3. Unprecedented (and unconstitutional) attempt to use federal administrative power to force a medical treatment on a large portion of the population

4. Supply lines crisis while his transportation secretary was nowhere to be found

5. Falsely claimed he could shut down the virus (more deaths than under Trump and record highs in new cases per day)

6. Continues to drive up the national debt

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

These things are, usually, in the end, much moreso the fault of big business than Government, who tend not to suffer from these things as much as small businesses or lower-, working-, or middle-class citizens, and thus are often apathetic to preventing them if their profit margins benefit in the long-term.

Government spending and loose monetary policy are a major contributor to inflation. It's a problem when around 40% of a country's currency was printed over the course of 1 year. I am certainly not a fan of big corporations but blaming them for the inflation problem is deflecting from where the problems are coming from.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm not convinced it's Unconstitutional. Plus, any nation of great wealth should provide these services for their citizens. Almost every other First World nation provides such services to their citizens, and it's usually dirt poor Third World nations that don't. Dying at the doors of an emergency ward or withering of cancer at home because you can't guarantee medical payment or your insurance company says you're not covered does NOT make you feel FREE or that you have LIBERTY or to praise your nation's method of healthcare, trust me.

I think you might be misunderstanding what I was referring to. It had nothing to do with universal healthcare.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

So has every U.S. President in my lifetime (I was born in 1976), both Democratic and Republican, and they never consult the taxpayers on it, at all. This is hardly a unique gripe at all. The U.S. isn't even remotely done paying off Reagan's, "outspending the Soviets to end the Cold War," - a pronouncement also made without consultation with, or care about the opinions of, the taxpayers. and when Gorbachev's reforms had made the urgency he quoted at the time utterly untrue.

Ok? Just because everyone else does it does not mean it cannot be a negative.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Significant failures and not really any good done

1. Botched Afghanistan so bad that both the interventionist and anti-interventionist crowds condemned what happened.

2. Skyrocketing inflation

2b. Gas and groceries prices hit hard

3. Unprecedented (and unconstitutional) attempt to use federal administrative power to force a medical treatment on a large portion of the population

4. Supply lines crisis while his transportation secretary was nowhere to be found

5. Falsely claimed he could shut down the virus (more deaths than under Trump and record highs in new cases per day)

6. Continues to drive up the national debt

Agree with all of this. The only material gains we have seen are that our allies are not nearly as skiddish with us and are far more willing to see us as the Leader of the Free World again (compared to the embarrassment and isolation of the past 4 years). This will probably come in handy if the seemingly inevitable conflict in Ukraine does in fact come to a boil. Otherwise, it’s been lots and lots of maluses.

• Based 1