The Political Lounge

AMPU Politician Generator (3/27)

vcczar

I thought I'd create a new post about the politician generator since we have so many new members. The generator will generate new politicians as needed, which is helpful in the Era of the Future. For instance, this would be an example of names in a draft class. Colors here are for gender. There's other stats here too. For now, "LGBT" could stand for someone who was the other gender at birth, but it could also just stay for a bisexual or gay cis male or cis female. At some point, I might make this more distinct as I do expect that by 2050, we will see some federal-level trans politicians.

Note that the names are mix of the mundane and the novel. I like this balance because it isn't too unrealistic, but the stranger names sort of add some character to them since we haven't a history for them. I'll likely draft people by name, just because I think it would be fun to have a colorful faction. Let's see...I'd take Origen Day, Slade Dalrhymple, Chimamanda Padelford, and maybe Kathy Morehead, if I'm just trying to make a faction of women who sound like they might be strippers or prostitutes. : 

Male Given Surname
Bryan Bissell
Lewis Foster
Origen Day
William Black
Sidney Benjamin
Orval Martin
Carlos Jaquay
Van Clinton
Slade Dalrhymple
Fuller Lansing
Christopher Hubbard
Solomon Dawes
Samuel Macdonald
Styles Davis
Idi Glendening
Ira Mooney
Louis Meredith
Steve O'Gorman
Roger Wilson
Pete Erwin
Female Given Surname
Kathy Morehead
Marie Bibb
Camilla Ray
Kimmy La Branche
Barbara Oglesby
Dolores Peery
Catherine Taylor
Mia Lee
Marquesa Murphy
Amanda Charron
Sarah Mallory
Liz Phillips
Millicent Bell
Terra Chu
Chimamanda Padelford
Abigail Merrill
Christine Vinton
Patricia Varnum
Paula Reschenthaler
Camilla Ferguson

8 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

To be clear, First name is independent of Surname when names are generated, right?  Really my only question regarding this topic.  I can see arguments for having it either way.

Yeah.. I have a database of male given, female given, and surnames. It draws from these separately. Names come primarily from names of in-game politicians, but I also added famous names -- Einstein, Da Vinci, etc. Funny names I came up with--Quakebuttock, etc. Names from a book of ridiculous names found in the British census over the years. Names from popular culture -- Patrick Stewart, Jean-Luc Picard, Luke Skywalker, Shaquille O'Neal, Marilyn Monroe. Names of friends and people that have helped with this game. 

The chance that we get, say Leonardo Da Vinci, is very rare since the names are drawn randomly from first and surname. So we are more likely to get John Da Vinci since John is many times more likely to be selected than Leonardo and Leonardo is a very rare first name. Da Vinci is a rare last name too. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah.. I have a database of male given, female given, and surnames. It draws from these separately. Names come primarily from names of in-game politicians, but I also added famous names -- Einstein, Da Vinci, etc. Funny names I came up with--Quakebuttock, etc. Names from a book of ridiculous names found in the British census over the years. Names from popular culture -- Patrick Stewart, Jean-Luc Picard, Luke Skywalker, Shaquille O'Neal, Marilyn Monroe. Names of friends and people that have helped with this game. 

The chance that we get, say Leonardo Da Vinci, is very rare since the names are drawn randomly from first and surname. So we are more likely to get John Da Vinci since John is many times more likely to be selected than Leonardo and Leonardo is a very rare first name. Da Vinci is a rare last name too. 

Reminds me how going into Picard Season 1 I was hoping the plot was he was going to be elected Federation President (not that I'm unhappy with the show as it is). Thanks for the answer.

14 hours ago, vcczar said:

I also added most of my Facebook friends and a significant chunk of my high school yearbook, just to add more normal sounding names to balance things out as it used to get too crazy.  Now we've got a great balance I think.

From your list above, I know Mooney refers to my old high school guidance counselor (who I'm FB friends with now, ha).  Several of the first names might be from my additions as well, but they're so common that it's hard to tell.

3 hours ago, bradleyg223 said:

It might be worth a second perusing the Name Mod forum for the game Out of the Park Baseball. I can tell you from experience using some of these has amplified my immersion, and maybe it could strike some inspiration here.

Yeah, I need to diversify some of the South American names. This should help. 

• Like 1

I just gave the random generator a spin as well.  (For those that don't know, in addition to names, it also gives home state, demographics, ability levels, personality traits, etc.

Here's a few that popped out at me during a single spin on the generator:

Ken Condict, a Catholic, LW Populist and LW Activist Military Veteran from Colorado, with a level 2 in legislative.

Gerrit Gravelove, a Black, Progressive, Pacifist teacher and skilled debater who wants to run for Governor of Nevada.

Harry Hodges, an unlikable Liberal Scientist out of Minnestoa

Lancelot Bankhead, a gay Black Mormon who is a Disharmonious, Traditionalist Theocrat with a background in Energy

Winthrop Flaherty, an iron-fisted, reform-minded Buddhist with integrity in Rhode Island

John Turner, an unlikable, incoherent Asian pacifist from Massachusetts

Meshack Anderson, a Black Celebrity Kingmaker Scientist out of Tennessee

Barack Rehnquist, a Traditionalist Hispanic Mormon Reformist

Charlotte Hiester (the family survives into the 2020s!) a South Dakota media personality who is a Hispanic Buddhist Traditionalist

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Ken Condict, a Catholic, LW Populist and LW Activist Military Veteran from Colorado, with a level 2 in legislative.

Finally, a perfect candidate

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bradleyg223 said:

It might be worth a second perusing the Name Mod forum for the game Out of the Park Baseball. I can tell you from experience using some of these has amplified my immersion, and maybe it could strike some inspiration here.

You and me buddy, on a quest to force as much OOTP into AMPU as possible 😄

• Haha 2