The Political Lounge

AMPU Historical Era images

vcczar

Here's an opportunity to submit an image for each historical era. I have some images in mind, but I would like to have options: 

The historical eras below begin on the following set election cycle years:

• Era of Independence, 1772-1774 

• Era of Federalism, 1788-1790

• Era of Republicanism, 1800-1802

• Era of Democracy, 1820-1822

• Era of Manifest Destiny, 1840-1842

• Era of Nationalism, 1856-1858

• Era of the Gilded Age, 1868-1870

• Era of Progressivism, 1892-1894

• Era of Normalcy, 1916-1918

• Era of Ideologies, 1928-1930

• Era of the Nuclear Age, 1948-1950

• Era of Neocons, 1972-1974

• Era of Terror, 2000-2002

• Era of Populism, 2012-2014

• Era of the Future *Begins after the current real-world election cycle is met* 2024-2026 for now

47 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here's an opportunity to submit an image for each historical era. I have some images in mind, but I would like to have options: 

The historical eras below begin on the following set election cycle years:

• Era of Independence, 1772-1774 

• Era of Federalism, 1788-1790

• Era of Republicanism, 1800-1802

• Era of Democracy, 1820-1822

• Era of Manifest Destiny, 1840-1842

• Era of Nationalism, 1856-1858

• Era of the Gilded Age, 1868-1870

• Era of Progressivism, 1892-1894

• Era of Normalcy, 1916-1918

• Era of Ideologies, 1928-1930

• Era of the Nuclear Age, 1948-1950

• Era of Neocons, 1972-1974

• Era of Terror, 2000-2002

• Era of Populism, 2012-2014

• Era of the Future *Begins after the current real-world election cycle is met* 2024-2026 for now

Are you thinking like an icon or something small? Or like a big image that's in the background/transition screen?

29 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Are you thinking like an icon or something small? Or like a big image that's in the background/transition screen?

I'm thinking something that would be like the central image of the Historical Era Screen, which would then have the description of the era below it. 

7 hours ago, Vols21 said:

image.jpeg.9e5a9916c37e8bf8a88ff07f1f3c0179.jpeg

I still remember that day, at least the beginning. I had just started undergrad, after having spend time as a video game store manager in my late teens. I woke up. Saw the Yahoo news story about it on my CPU. I assumed it was about the 1990s bombing, so I clicked it off without paying much attention to it. I got an instant message from an old high school friend who was livid about the attack. He filled me in. I called my friend in NYC (I was in TX) who worked near the towers as a student job. No answer. I walked to campus. Flags everywhere. Teachers were allowing us to go home if we wished. I think I just stayed in classes. I got a hold of my NYC friend later. He was shell-shocked but fine. The whole day and week after is kind of a blur. I don't really remember talking about the attacks very often. Even though I voted for the first time in 2000, I wasn't politically opinionated until 2004 because I really only cared about history (the past) and had little interest in current events at the time.

I think the prime thing I remember from it is that I was less overtly shaken by the attacks than other people were, for whatever reason. The only sense of fear or panic was in regards to my friend. I think I intuitively knew that another attack probably wouldn't happen. I also didn't think the War on Terror would last more than three months or so (boy, was I wrong!). I remember at one point thinking about the worst ways we could be attacked.

I thought (c. 2002-2004) rather than hitting symbolic targets -- WTC and Pentagon -- they would cause more fear by having random attacks in a range of cities, where it seemed like no one was safe. I thought, if they had to go for population centers, they should do something that created long-term economic damage. Bombing the subway lines that connect Queens to Manhattan would be devastating on many levels -- millions of people take those lines (all of which are concentrated into just a few tunnels) to go to work and back. It could take a year or more to fix those tunnels. Meanwhile, everyone in Queens would basically have to either walk to work or take a bus or all take the one or two subway lines that go through Brooklyn to Manhattan. The number of buses needed would probably create a kind of nightmare. The one or two subway lines would be too crowded for most people to risk taking to get to work on time. As someone who would later live in Queens when I first moved to NYC, I can't think of anything that would be more frightening and more of a hassle. Most people would have to get up for work hours before they previously had to get up. I would probably just walk to work (40 min walk-- go across the bridge -- go to Grand Central, take train downtown. I'd be there in under an hour). 

Anyway, just tangents. I'm hoping worldwide terrorism dissipates. Frightful times, especially for nations that had to deal with it more often than we did. We were lucky we were hit with only one major attack.

I lived in California at the time.   The boyfriend of a lady who worked for me was a firefighter in NYC and her father was the state fire chief for Pataki.  They were both ok, but she didn’t hear from them for days and was so worried.    She showed me a photograph that was chilling- she and a friend took a picture atop the twin towers from her last trip there.  It was time stamped September 11, 2000.   One year to the day.

1 hour ago, Vols21 said:

I lived in California at the time.   The boyfriend of a lady who worked for me was a firefighter in NYC and her father was the state fire chief for Pataki.  They were both ok, but she didn’t hear from them for days and was so worried.    She showed me a photograph that was chilling- she and a friend took a picture atop the twin towers from her last trip there.  It was time stamped September 11, 2000.   One year to the day.

Wow!

I was three years old when 9/11 happened, so no memories of the day itself, but a few weeks ago, a group of us were hanging out talking about what we would do if we could time travel and one girl (also 23) said she would try to prevent 9/11. Noble goal, but she admitted she wasn't sure how to do it, she was like, "How can I convince people that there's gonna be a huge terror attack on September 1st?" We were like, "what do you mean the first?" and she was like, that's when 9/11 happened. We could not believe it, I had to ask I was like, "Why do you think it is called 9/11 if not for the fact that it happened on 9/11?" And she didn't believe me she thought I was messing with her and I was like, "It is literally named after the calendar date on which it happened what are you talking about?" Apparently, she thought it happened on 09/01/01, but we couldn't call it 9/1/1 or else it would get confused for the phone number for the police. How she managed to go 20 or so years after the fact never noticing that 9/11 memorial posts happen on the eleventh and never the first, she did not have an excuse. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1