The Political Lounge

A More Perfect Judiciary (DLC or game mechanic overhaul idea)

Cal

10 hours ago, Cal said:

A More Perfect Judiciary

Yeah, this is something that would have to be in AMPU 2 or something. What I could do is this: 

• Allow a chance a SC justice shifts their ideology
  • Take the SC away from the players and make them run by the CPU.... @ConservativeElector2 probably won't like this. Might make an option to allow players to play as the court, but make the default off. 
  • Judicial Activism would be a justice with LW Activism...I could add more rules for this
  • Originalism would be a justice with RW Activism.....I could add more rules for this. 
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:
  • Take the SC away from the players and make them run by the CPU.... @ConservativeElector2 probably won't like this. Might make an option to allow players to play as the court, but make the default off. 

Yeah, I don't like this particular part. As an option it's fine but not as the definitive state. My personal interest aside, I also think it's one of the main selling points to have created a game in which the otherwise neglected Judiciary finally plays a role (this could a ttract law school students as well).

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:
  • Allow a chance a SC justice shifts their ideology

That's a good one. Just take Justice Souter as an example.

Great post Cal

It's true that several SC judges changed while being in office, it particulary worked in the liberal way more than the opposed but it is a good data to take.

As for ideology I know three of these in law :

Litteralists : Like Scalia, who stick to the text.

Kind of finalists : Those who try to interpret what was the will of the legislator when he adopted such a law, so it gives the potential openure to an evolution of the text like it is what was done with same sex marriage in 2015 I think, the majority of the Court interpreted the amendment on civil rights and found that the final motive of the legislator was to get a full equality.

And the third is like free interpretators : Those ones barely don't care about what is written or the motive of the legislator, they just adapt the law to the needs of the society whatever it is in their opinion.

12 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Great post Cal

It's true that several SC judges changed while being in office, it particulary worked in the liberal way more than the opposed but it is a good data to take.

As for ideology I know three of these in law :

Litteralists : Like Scalia, who stick to the text.

Kind of finalists : Those who try to interpret what was the will of the legislator when he adopted such a law, so it gives the potential openure to an evolution of the text like it is what was done with same sex marriage in 2015 I think, the majority of the Court interpreted the amendment on civil rights and found that the final motive of the legislator was to get a full equality.

And the third is like free interpretators : Those ones barely don't care about what is written or the motive of the legislator, they just adapt the law to the needs of the society whatever it is in their opinion.

Interesting, I wonder how the language difference affects our terminology here as we are taught those as Textualism, Intentionalism, and Purposivism respectively (capitalized only for fun).

On 4/12/2022 at 11:28 AM, Cal said:

Interesting, I wonder how the language difference affects our terminology here as we are taught those as Textualism, Intentionalism, and Purposivism respectively (capitalized only for fun).

I think that the three are about the same of the ones I mentionned but in plain english hehe

Edited by Edouard

1 hour ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Yeah, I don't like this particular part. As an option it's fine but not as the definitive state. My personal interest aside, I also think it's one of the main selling points to have created a game in which the otherwise neglected Judiciary finally plays a role (this could a ttract law school students as well).

The issue there is that it's really unrealistic, especially given that legislators are likely to go against your faction, who are directly and openly influenced or even subordinate to your faction leader, while justices, who have (in theory) no accountability to them, by default are completely controlled. It doesn't fit and makes the ideology of your appointee pretty much pointless. 

Even currently, the rule that Puritans must vote for their ideology hasn't been followed, lol.

The current ruleset leads to ludicrous results like Ginsburg being able to vote down gay marriage, or Scalia championing big government schemes. Roberts would never be the swing justice he is IRL as it would make no sense for his player to tell him to vote against his faction. Pretty much all conversion attempts assume that the justice's base decision is whatever the player wants and they just convince other justices of that. It looks okay now, but when you get to cases we're more familiar with it'll become clear it will generate very unrealistic results with judges ruling ahistorically very often. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

11 minutes ago, Cal said:

The current ruleset leads to ludicrous results like Ginsburg being able to vote down gay marriage, or Scalia championing big government schemes. Roberts would never be the swing justice he is IRL as it would make no sense for his player to tell him to vote against his faction. 

I don't see why. If you play as Red, it's unlikely for Ginsburg to vote down gay marriage. If you play as blue you wouldn't probably want that outcome and if you, you simply create an ahistorical timeline. That's something everyone has to decide for themselves.

8 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I don't see why. If you play as Red, it's unlikely for Ginsburg to vote down gay marriage. If you play as blue you wouldn't probably want that outcome and if you, you simply create an ahistorical timeline. That's something everyone has to decide for themselves.

You would think, right? But let's take a look at the current court composition and how the faction's controlling them would be incentivized to vote on a few key court cases with the current 1960 game.

In Roe v. Wade, the only points awarded are to the player with the Healthcare lobby (if aye) or the player with the Theocrat card (if nay). There is only one faction that will gain or lose points in this case: @pman, with the Public Healthcare lobby that controls 2 justices. Outside of that, players can make whatever decision they want and there is no difference. 

That means, 7 Justices have no incentive to vote one way or the other on such a major case as Roe v. Wade. Even crazier, you can just have your Justice do what's against your faction's wishes through wheeling and dealing with other factions. You could agree to have Scalia vote to legalize abortion nationwide in exchange for a party leadership vote which is wildly unrealistic, and you'll almost certainly have no effect on your points at all from it. 

I want players to have fun with the judiciary, but making it just as political (arguably more than) the legislative part of the game is just unrealistic. The default should be, imo, that the courts are independent. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cal said:

I want players to have fun with the judiciary, but making it just as political (arguably more than) the legislative part of the game is just unrealistic. The default should be, imo, that the courts are independent. 

From my point of view it needs some sort of surprise then. If you know all the votes beforehand it could get boring.

Just now, ConservativeElector2 said:

From my point of view it needs some sort of surprise then. If you know all the votes beforehand it could get boring.

Maybe the best way to do it now, without a significant overhaul more fitting for a DLC, would be for it to be a percentage that Justices rule a certain way on each case when independent based on their ideology or personal interests, instead of faction interest. Someone like Scalia would still almost certainly vote against Roe v. Wade, but his ideology would still have the chance to make some of his opinions that endorsed a more "liberal" (based on the outcome ONLY) result, such as his decisions about governmental overreach of power and violation of the 4th Amendment in marijuana detection or DNA swabbing. 

• Based 1

@MrPotatoTed Supreme Court decision rules have been partially redone. This will have to do for AMPU 1, barring any major issues in playtesting. I've also made one change to SC appointments. A confirmed SC justice has a 10% chance of immediately shifting their ideology 1 spot to the left or to the right. The SC decision section allows further shifts but only for every 10 years a justice serves. Judges rarely become more conservative, so there's 5% more of a chance a justice moves leftward than rightward. Historically, it's overwhelmingly that justices move to the left rather than to the right, for whatever reason. Nevertheless, the chance for a shift at all is very low. 

Keep in mind, you apparently have a lot of lawyers here.  I mean, I'm not a lawyer, but my degree had a lawyer adjacent stuff, so I sympathies with them.  But you're definitely getting a biased sample here.  I like the improvements, and very, very much want to keep the court in the game, but I wouldn't sweat making it perfect for AMPU 1.  Truth is we've barely seen the court operate in the 1772 playtest.  Not that we shouldn't be scheming improvements now, but I think it'll be fine.

16 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

Keep in mind, you apparently have a lot of lawyers here.  I mean, I'm not a lawyer, but my degree had a lawyer adjacent stuff, so I sympathies with them.  But you're definitely getting a biased sample here.  I like the improvements, and very, very much want to keep the court in the game, but I wouldn't sweat making it perfect for AMPU 1.  Truth is we've barely seen the court operate in the 1772 playtest.  Not that we shouldn't be scheming improvements now, but I think it'll be fine.

I think you'll see the SC operate a lot more in a 1960 scenario.  Lots of critical court cases in the 60's-70's.  I like a more independent SC.  I do like the idea that the SC is run by the CPU by default.  And I support Cal's notion that the judiciary should be more independent than either of the other two branches.  Checks & Balances!  

On 4/12/2022 at 2:27 PM, vcczar said:

@MrPotatoTed Supreme Court decision rules have been partially redone. This will have to do for AMPU 1, barring any major issues in playtesting. I've also made one change to SC appointments. A confirmed SC justice has a 10% chance of immediately shifting their ideology 1 spot to the left or to the right. The SC decision section allows further shifts but only for every 10 years a justice serves. Judges rarely become more conservative, so there's 5% more of a chance a justice moves leftward than rightward. Historically, it's overwhelmingly that justices move to the left rather than to the right, for whatever reason. Nevertheless, the chance for a shift at all is very low. 

Great change! 

I vote against the running by the CPU by default..I wanna play the SC even though it's p basic rn. 

• Like 2