The Political Lounge

My Boxing Rankings: Junior Middleweights

jnewt

Junior Middleweight

1. Jermell Charlo
    • Jermell Charlo is the undisputed champ at 154 and his only career loss was the result of a terrible decision by the judges in his fight against Tony Harrison. He’s the obvious best junior middleweight in the world.
  2. Sebastian Fundora
    • Fundora is undefeated through 20 fights with wins against a couple big names, including Erickson Lubin. I don’t think Fundora presents as a legitimate threat to Charlo, but, in my opinion, he’s the next best thing at 154.
  3. Brian Castano
    • Castano is another good fighter, but not a real threat to Charlo. He fought to a controversial split decision draw against him in their first fight, but was then knocked out by him in the second fight. He lacks a huge name on his resume, with missed opportunities against Charlo and Erislandy Lara, but he’s still near the top.
  4. Liam Smith
    • Liam “Beefy” Smith has had a long impressive career. Two of his three losses have come against Canelo Alvarez and Jaime Munguia - that’s nothing to be ashamed of. Putting him at the four spot might even be underating him.
  5. Jarrett Hurd
    • Hurd has had a strange career so far, and with not having fought in over a year, along with losing two out of his last three fights, he’s not exactly the biggest attraction in the division right now. But he beat Tony Harrison, Austin Trout, and Erislandy Lara in three consecutive fights and is a former unified champion. Until he falls off a cliff, I have to consider him as some sort of a contender, at least. 
  6. Tim Tszyu
    • Tszyu is undefeated and finally getting a shot at a belt with his next fight coming against Charlo. I’d consider him a huge underdog, but if he somehow pulls it off, he’ll leap in the rankings.
  7. Erickson Lubin
    • Lubin’s been a great fighter and only has two losses, coming against Charlo and Fundora. It’d be fun to see him fight some of the other guys on this list.
  8. Jesus Alejandro Ramos
    • Ramos is undefeated but he’s yet to fight anybody of really any note. He’s also yet to fight a 12 round fight. Ramos could climb the rankings but I can’t justify putting any higher than 8 right now.
  9. Magomed Kurbanov
    • Kurbanov is also undefeated, and has a win against Liam Smith to his name. He hasn’t fought in over a year, but he’s likely to move up in the rankings after his next fight.
  10. Tony Harrison
    • Harrison is a good fighter but everyone knows his win over Charlo was highway robbery. I’ll slide him in at 10.