The Political Lounge

Let's make a mixtape :)

Kitten

7 hours ago, Patine said:

I know it's a bit much at once, but any comments?

And I still await a response (or just positive, mature, pro-social action) from you @Kitten on my polite request.

I think of all the songs, and I'm familiar with all of them I think. November Rain is my favorite. I like Duran Duran but not for their 90s album. I much prefer their 80s hits. 

On 2/19/2022 at 2:27 AM, Patine said:

Alright, I've got a killer playlist here. But, first, I would like to politely request to @Kitten, the thread starter, appealing to his basic human dignity and base level modicum of respect, to delete the song in the opening post and replace with one not meant (and known to have only the purpose of on this forum) and mocking and ridiculing me, or any other poster. Thank-you, in advance!

That being said, when I was a young adult in the '90's, in my first own place, as I didn't have the Internet until 1998 (and it was dial-up until 2002), though my first PC was in 1996 (which I bought Civilization 2, the eternal, classic GOAT of ALL nation-building and -managing strategy games made - along with - the year it was released), I very often listened to my little radio clock at night, and a lot of great '90's music, that shaped my youth, my life, and my viewpoints. Here are some of my favourites:

11 hours ago, Patine said:

These ones make a nice pair, LOL

"Killer"? "GOAT"? "LOL"? Posting youtube videos? 😆 If it weren't for your signature writing style I'd be asking who are you and what have you done to Patine! 

8 hours ago, Patine said:

This song, with it's upbeat, triumphal, anthem-like rhythm and riffs, album cover, and title might very easily make you think otherwise, and certainly Ronald Reagan was fooled when he used the song in his 1984 election campaign, much to his embarrassment - but this song is NOT a patriotic song! Not at all. 😛 

Regardless of the conflicted messaging it had, it's still a based song, and it does address a sad issue. Not only for the veterans of that time. But struggles that all veterans can potentially go through. And to this day, a lot still do. 

• Like 1

Okay, so, in honour of @Patine posting here I'm gonna share some of the Canadian bands I'm into. To keep myself restrained I will share one early song from each band:

First up we have:

Silverstein, a post-hardcore/emo band out of Burlington, Ontario who first crashed onto the scene in the early 2000s with this song. As you can see they did play to the aesthetic of the time.

Next up we've got Comeback Kid. A hardcore band from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Comeback Kid originally started as a side project started by lead guitarist Andre Neufeld. I'm posting one of their songs from their early era as I said before. The thing with these guys is after their second album the lead singer, Scott Wade, left and Neufeld took over. Still, I'm posting one from the Scott Wade era.

Back to Ontario, St Catharines, Ontario. We have Alexisonfire, a post-hardcore/screamo band. These guys are great in that they never take themselves seriously and have described their sound as that of two Catholic School girls in a knife fight.

And finishing in Ontario, this time in Hamilton, we have Counterparts. This hardcore/metalcore band started out a little later than the other bands I'm posting but it's their early years all the same. 

Now, I'm probably forgetting some but these are some of the Canadian bands I'm into. Now these aren't for everyone, just remember that!

• Based 1

1 minute ago, Fbarbarossa said:

Okay, so, in honour of @Patine posting here I'm gonna share some of the Canadian bands I'm into. To keep myself restrained I will share one early song from each band:

First up we have:

Silverstein, a post-hardcore/emo band out of Burlington, Ontario who first crashed onto the scene in the early 2000s with this song. As you can see they did play to the aesthetic of the time.

Next up we've got Comeback Kid. A hardcore band from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Comeback Kid originally started as a side project started by lead guitarist Andre Neufeld. I'm posting one of their songs from their early era as I said before. The thing with these guys is after their second album the lead singer, Scott Wade, left and Neufeld took over. Still, I'm posting one from the Scott Wade era.

Back to Ontario, St Catharines, Ontario. We have Alexisonfire, a post-hardcore/screamo band. These guys are great in that they never take themselves seriously and have described their sound as that of two Catholic School girls in a knife fight.

And finishing in Ontario, this time in Hamilton, we have Counterparts. This hardcore/metalcore band started out a little later than the other bands I'm posting but it's their early years all the same. 

Now, I'm probably forgetting some but these are some of the Canadian bands I'm into. Now these aren't for everyone, just remember that!

Heard of these. As you know I cant say I'm into them much. But I suppose in honor of Patine I'll post my favorite Canadian bands. As he probably already knows:

Rush

The Guess Who

Steppenwolf

And finally the legend himself

Gordon Lightfoot 

Nickelback is an honorable mention. 😛

21 minutes ago, Patine said:

Oh, and who could forget - and this particular written by the same songwriter (Jim Steinman) who wrote many of Meat Loaf (RIP - I'll like a couple of his soon)'s great classics - and you can hear the similarity in style:

Now you're speaking my language