The Political Lounge

Steam Games (VCCzar's Spring 2022 List)

vcczar

Top Games I Own on Steam 

*Note: First grade is the overall grade and second grade is its replay value grade

1. Europa Universalis IV 98/96
  2. The Last Express: Gold Edition 97/70
  3. Crusader Kings III  92/95
  4. Grand Tactician: The Civil War 92/92 
  5. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV 90/100
  6. Twilight Struggle 89/95
  7. Victoria II  89/85
  8. Joe Richardson's games, which are all similar 88/50
    1. Four Last Things
    2. Procession to Cavalry
  9. Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper 87/65
  10. Out of the Park Baseball 19  86/90
  11. War of Napoleon 85/80
  12. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments 85/70
  13. Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One 85/60
  14. Empire of Sin 85/80
  15. Nantucket 85/70
  16. Pro Wrestling Sim 84/85
  17. Ostriv 82/85
  18. Guild II: Renaissance 82/80
  19. Orbi Universo 81/85
  20. Hearts of Iron IV 80/90
  21. Principia 80/60

Top Games on my Steam Wishlist (alphabetical order)

• Death of the Reprobate (another Joe Richardson game)
  • Feudal Baron
  • Manor Lords
  • Political Arena
  • SpyParty
  • Victoria 3

Games not on Steam that are on my Wish List: 

• A More Perfect Union
  • General Staff

• Like 2

My (very loose list of) Top 10 Steam Games:

1. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (FFX is my favorite game of all time, can't not be on this list.)

2. Stardew Valley

3. Death Road to Canada

4. Europa Universalis IV 

5. Victoria II

6. Left 4 Dead 2

7. Game Dev Tycoon

8. Garry's Mod

9. Final Fantasy I

10. Sid Meier's Civilization III

Honorable Mentions: Super Amazing Wagon Adventure Turbo, Plants vs Zombies

• Like 2
  • Based 1

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

Civ2 is the best iteration in the series, as I see it. And Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is a great gain, too. It's disappointing to see no Age of Empires or Mythology titles in your or vcczar's lists - those are classics, as well.

I've never played any of the games you've mentioned. In terms of Civ, i've only played Civ III, Civ Revolution, Civ V, and Civ VI. Of those 4 I only enjoyed Civ III and Civ Revolution.

Here's a Top 10 from me (As with Rezi's this is loose, and just off the top of my head): 

1. Deus Ex (2000): A 10/10 for me. And in my opinion, the greatest game of all time in terms of it's story and atmosphere. 

2. Mass Effect Series: Some of my favorite games, and one of the best game trilogies of all time. 

3. Empire Total War: Though not a good game in it's own right. It was my first steam game, and with mods, the game is excellent. 

4. Crusader Kings II: In my opinion the best paradox title. The content, the re-playability is better than any other paradox game at this point. Once CK3 has the content of this game, it'll be perfect.

5. Mount and Blade - Warband: I have over 2600 hours in this game. The Multiplayer, the campaigns, is a fun banter filled mess. This is definitely the game of my youth lol. Even though I haven't touched it going on 2 years now. I retired from it. 

6. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: One of the best RPG's ever made. Despite being subpar compared to older Elder Scrolls titles. The mods alone make it GOAT tier for me. 

7. Hearts of Iron 3: The most complex paradox game militarily. Played it when I was around 10 and got hooked. I still go back to it every now and then. 

8. Medieval 2 Total War: The best Total War game ever made in my opinion. Even though I don't have as much hours on it as other Total Wars. It's never a bore to play, despite being old. It also has one of the best Total War mods ever made. (Third Age: Total War) LOTR. 

9. Half Life Series: This shouldn't really need explaining. This is one of the most revered series of all time. And it's what brought us the very platform we play on.

10. Napoleon Total War: Although a smaller scale, I have a ton of hours on it and it's one of my favorite Total Wars. As always with TW, mods make it even better.

Honorable Mentions: Watchdogs 1, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, Fallout New Vegas, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Scourge of War: Waterloo, Ultimate General: Civil War. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Civ2 is the best iteration in the series, as I see it. And Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is a great gain, too. It's disappointing to see no Age of Empires or Mythology titles in your or vcczar's lists - those are classics, as well.

The Civ2 wonder construction videos were the best.  The da Vinci's Workshop music is amazing.

37 minutes ago, Patine said:

The problem is, a lot of the games on your two lists, and vcczar's, at least regarding nation-building and -managing strategy games, take computer language competence and 3D graphics modelling skill to make enjoyable and comprehensive mods for. This includes CivIV-VI, as well. Civ2 was (and still is, especially with the ToTTPP add-on) masterfully simple to make amazing mods for with no need for such knowledge. The Age of Empires/Mythology series and Civ3 and Alpha Centauri could be done reasonably, in part, without such mechanics - though Civ3 and Alpha Centauri lack the in-game scripted event/triggers mechanics of Civ2 and the Age of Empires/Mythology series. Customizability with a degree of ease is a very important feature to me. This is why I also stuck to 270 soft over all those other election games mentioned or brought up, despite personally detesting Anthony.

ok

11 hours ago, Pringles said:

Here's a Top 10 from me (As with Rezi's this is loose, and just off the top of my head): 

1. Deus Ex (2000): A 10/10 for me. And in my opinion, the greatest game of all time in terms of it's story and atmosphere. 

2. Mass Effect Series: Some of my favorite games, and one of the best game trilogies of all time. 

3. Empire Total War: Though not a good game in it's own right. It was my first steam game, and with mods, the game is excellent. 

4. Crusader Kings II: In my opinion the best paradox title. The content, the re-playability is better than any other paradox game at this point. Once CK3 has the content of this game, it'll be perfect.

5. Mount and Blade - Warband: I have over 2600 hours in this game. The Multiplayer, the campaigns, is a fun banter filled mess. This is definitely the game of my youth lol. Even though I haven't touched it going on 2 years now. I retired from it. 

6. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: One of the best RPG's ever made. Despite being subpar compared to older Elder Scrolls titles. The mods alone make it GOAT tier for me. 

7. Hearts of Iron 3: The most complex paradox game militarily. Played it when I was around 10 and got hooked. I still go back to it every now and then. 

8. Medieval 2 Total War: The best Total War game ever made in my opinion. Even though I don't have as much hours on it as other Total Wars. It's never a bore to play, despite being old. It also has one of the best Total War mods ever made. (Third Age: Total War) LOTR. 

9. Half Life Series: This shouldn't really need explaining. This is one of the most revered series of all time. And it's what brought us the very platform we play on.

10. Napoleon Total War: Although a smaller scale, I have a ton of hours on it and it's one of my favorite Total Wars. As always with TW, mods make it even better.

Honorable Mentions: Watchdogs 1, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, Fallout New Vegas, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Scourge of War: Waterloo, Ultimate General: Civil War. 

I think you'd like Grand Tactician: Civil War, which is a relatively new game and the best Civil War game thus far. I also think you'll like General Staff, but I don't think it is coming out on Steam.

• Like 1

I'll rank mine simply by the number of hours I've played them on Steam.

These aren't perfect counts, as some of these games (especially the Paradox ones) I let the CPU play while I'm doing other things and I just check in to see how it's going.  But here's my top ten by playtime on Steam.

Crusader Kings II: 2,426 hours.
XCOM 2: 861 hours.
Front Office Football Eight: 716 hours.
Dead State Reanimated: 537 hours (my favorite game of all time)
Project Hospital: 479 hours.
Stellaris: 283 hours.
Crusader Kings III: 203 hours.
Football Manager 2017: 177 hours
Project Zomboid (My current obsession) 173 hours
This Is the Police: 151 hours.

• Based 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

These aren't perfect counts, as some of these games (especially the Paradox ones) I let the CPU play while I'm doing other things and I just check in to see how it's going.  But here's my top ten by playtime on Steam.

Here are my top games, using the 151 hours for your lowest one as the marker: 

1. Europa Universalis IV - 499 hrs 
  2. Crusader Kings 2 - 355 hrs
  3. Romance of the Thee Kingdoms XIV - 249 
  4. Out of the Park Baseball 19 - 238 hrs
  5. Twilight Struggle - 194 hrs
  6. Crusader Kings 3 - 175 hrs 
  7. Anno 1800 - 155hrs

And that's it. #s, 1,3, 6 will certainly go up. I think #4 and #5 will sometimes go up. I think#2 and #7 are likely to stay about there. I think Pro Wrestling Sim will probably take #7 soon. I'm kind of Surprised RTK14 isn't higher. 

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I never knew you were an XCOM fan! Great games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think you'd like Grand Tactician: Civil War, which is a relatively new game and the best Civil War game thus far. I also think you'll like General Staff, but I don't think it is coming out on Steam.

Once it goes on sale I think Ill get it! I've been wanting to give it a chance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Heck yes.  Been a fan since the first one in like 1992.

Brooo, 7 years ago I went back and tried to place the first one again... that game for some reason scared TF out of me. I could barely play. First one as in the OG Xcom. 90s lmao. I think I've come a long way from being scared of games, it's very hard to scare me now. 😛

It's those eerie noises and soundtrack that got me. 

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Although I don't know who owns the rights and makes the games now, the original X-Com games (including the 1992 one) were made by MPS, who also made Civ1 and Civ2, in fact.

I think they're all done by Firaxis now. Who also made a load of of Civ/Sid Meier's games.

34 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Once it goes on sale I think Ill get it! I've been wanting to give it a chance. 

It's an amazing game. I really haven't had a long stretch of time to really play a campaign, but I've played isolated battles. 

8 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

1. Football Manager 2014 - 1,279 Hours
2. Football Manager 2015 - 1,104 Hours
3. Football Manager 2016 - 1,074 Hours
4. Football Manager 2012 - 1,073 Hours
5. Football Manager 2013 - 988 Hours
6. Football Manager 2020 - 793 Hours
7. Football Manager 2021 - 689 Hours
8. Rocket League - 621 Hours
9. Football Manager 2022 - 602 Hours
10. Football Manager 2019 - 520 Hours

Edited by Mark_W
  • Haha 3