The Political Lounge

Part 14: 100 Most Influential Ranking

vcczar

Part 14: 100 Most Influential Ranking  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Henry Bessemer
    • Henry Ford
    • Henry the Navigator
    • Henry VIII
    • Hernan Cortes
    • Hippocrates
    • Homer
    • Horace Mann
    • Hugo Grotius
    • Ian Wilmut & Keith Campbell
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2022 at 07:51 PM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the 1st part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

Henry Bessemer His steel-making process made steel affordable and quicker, launching a revolution in structural engineering
Henry Ford Developed assembly-line mass production, which allowed for cheap automobiles that the middle-class could afford; saw consumerism as the key to world peace.
Henry the Navigator The leading figure in funding and encouraging Portuguese exploration, which led to the Portuguese colonial empire.
Henry VIII Created the Church of England by breaking from the Catholic Church; "Father of the British Navy," greatly expanded royal power, presided as the Renaissance was just emerging in England.
Hernan Cortes Conquistador who destroyed the long-lasting and immense Aztec Empire and brought New Spain (future Mexico) under Spanish rule.
Hippocrates "Father of Medicine" developed medicine as an individual field of study; originator of the Hippocratic Oath, which is still recited by doctors today.
Homer According to tradition, the author of the Iliad and the Odyssey, which are often called the beginning of the Western literary tradition. Crucial to Ancient Greek culture and education. They still inspire the arts today.
Horace Mann The leading figure of the public education movement in the United States. His ideas spread to most states, educating the labor force of the United States
Hugo Grotius Created and codified International Law
Ian Wilmut & Keith Campbell Cloned the first mammal--Dolly the sheep

These last two I've been fairly nom committal on, but just to show I'm still here, I agree some heavy hitters on these last few. (I voted on the other one in the 5 minutes I check the internet before I leave just for the sake of keeping it rolling).  For the sake of discussion, I don't think "cloning" per se is going to be a big deal as gene editing and making new life forms.  Sure, you might technically clone yourself, but it's not going to be a big deal until not only did you clone yourself you installed some "upgrades" while you were at it, and we're not quite there yet so the person who invents that isn't up for selection.

Voted Homer and Hippocrates.

Homer has paved the way for the antic era and its mythology for a thousand years, just imagine that Alexander and Hephaistion were paying tribute to Achille and Patrocle, it says about the cultural influence of Homer's writings over a thousand years. He is the first best seller author of history much probably.

Still today, we learn in most of language's schools (I personnaly did in medium school) writings of a dude who passed away 2800 years ago.

Hippocrates codified a lot of fundamental principles of medicine which still are codified or reinterpretated in several state healthcare's laws, just imagine how crazy it is.

Edited by Edouard
  • Like 1