The Political Lounge

Where Did Your Ancestors Live in 1776?

vcczar

Where Did Your Ancestors Live in 1776?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Where Did Your Ancestors Live in 1776 out of the options below?

• Massachusetts (which included Maine)
    • New Hampshire (include Vermonters, even though NY also had claims to VT)
    • Rhode Island
    • Connecticut
    • New York
    • New Jersey
    • Pennsylvania
    • Delaware
    • Maryland
    • Virginia
    • North Carolina
    • South Carolina
    • Georgia
    • The UK or Canada
    • I had neither American, Canadian, nor UK ancestors in 1776
  2. 2. Do you know of any information about the activities of your ancestors during the war?

I have ancestors that fought at the Battle of Lexington & Concord, Siege of Boston, Ticonderoga, Princeton, Springfield, Billet, Brandywine, Germantown, and were at Valley Forge. I'd say most, if not all of the battles in MA, NJ, and PA. 

One ancestor was in MA's legislature and was delegate for MA's 1st Constitution. 

One ancestor died at Ticonderoga of smallpox. Most military deaths were by disease.

Two of my ancestors ended up being privateers. 

I could have up to three more Rev War vets than I know about, but I have parts of my tree that are still unknown. 

• Like 1

My great-great-great uncle was a general of the Austrian Hungarian army, My great-great uncle owned a large amusement park in France, And my great uncle is in the NHL hall of fame, forgetting some for sure- There are some other very interesting stories as well that have happened in my family in big positions. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Didn't we do this already? Not too long ago?

Yeah, but we have more people now and I didn't ask people to discuss their stories. Basically, I'm redoing it for Memorial Day. 

• Thanks 1

I've told the story before, but to quickly summarize, my great-great-great (great?) grandfather immigrated to New York from an area that is modern day Germany, before the Revolution.  

When war broke out, he and his son were loyalists and fought against those damned uppity rebels.  Haha. 

They lost the war of course, but were rewarded for their loyalty by receiving a large amount of land in Canada, where a town is named after us.  They stayed in Canada for a generation or two, then trickled down to St. Louis in the late 1800s (missed the Civil War) and swung east to Pittsburgh where they're remained since.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...