The Political Lounge

Suggested fixes Fall 2022

vcczar

V wrote rules about this situation (as we had it in 48 test) but they were not inputted into the actual rules doc.

Majority Leader went to the party of the VP but if there were no VP to break the tie then there was no Majority Leader (they were both minority) and the Pres Pro tempore would pick the chairs.  And there were some bonuses and such for splitting the chairs evenly across the parties.

I'll have to look tomorrow and see if I can find what he wrote.

Edited by ebrk85
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Ok, by popular demand and to simplify things I've given the 50-50 senate majority to the party with the Vice President.  If there is no VP, random.

In cases with no VP, you could add a rule requiring the PPT to be marked Can Be Independent (at least before Senate officers are created). When the Senate was deadlocked with no VP after Arthur became president in 1881, they handled it by making independent David Davis the PPT.

• Thanks 1

@vcczar

Heads up that 2.9.5 (general election and rules for what to do if conventions/primaries don't exist yet) requires the party leader to name a candidate.  However, for games starting in the independence era, there will be no party leader during the 1788 election.   Need rules specifying how this takes place when there is no party leader.

There are also no requirements for Presidential candidates listed on this page, other than needing at least 1 command.  I know it used to be that you had to be a faction leader and/or a celebrity.  Is that still the case, or can it be anyone who has command now?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar

Heads up that 2.9.5 (general election and rules for what to do if conventions/primaries don't exist yet) requires the party leader to name a candidate.  However, for games starting in the independence era, there will be no party leader during the 1788 election.   Need rules specifying how this takes place when there is no party leader.

There are also no requirements for Presidential candidates listed on this page, other than needing at least 1 command.  I know it used to be that you had to be a faction leader and/or a celebrity.  Is that still the case, or can it be anyone who has command now?

Could you put a note for it to be a random faction leader if no party leader exists. Basically random faction. I’m not at home for a couple more hours. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar

Isn't there a whole section somewhere (where, who knows) about pre 12th amendment?

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Could you put a note for it to be a random faction leader if no party leader exists. Basically random faction. I’m not at home for a couple more hours. 

Yep, I can insert it.  And are the requirements still the candidate must be a faction leader and/or celeb?  Or is it anyone with command now?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Yep, I can insert it.  And are the requirements still the candidate must be a faction leader and/or celeb?  Or is it anyone with command now?

I think it’s still faction leader or celeb to be a major candidate. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think it’s still faction leader or celeb to be a major candidate. 

Ok.  I've added this to the pre-12th amendment section in 2.9.5:

A candidate must be either an eligible faction leader or a Celebrity with at least 1 command.  If no politicians from a party meet these requirements, it can be any eligible politician with at least 1 command.  If no eligible politicians have command, it can be any eligible faction leader despite the fact they don’t have command.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

32 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I don't think they're allowed to move.

Unless I'm overlooking it, I don't see that in the rules. It would make sense to add that though, as that's a potential loophole to take advantage of if your first kingmaker-protege roll isn't as good as you'd like.

2 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Unless I'm overlooking it, I don't see that in the rules. It would make sense to add that though, as that's a potential loophole to take advantage of if your first kingmaker-protege roll isn't as good as you'd like.

Yeah I'm gonna flag @MrPotatoTed because I'm pretty sure we've always treated it that way even if it was omitted.  It might have been there in the past actually and gotten deleted or something.

Interesting question.  Don't see it in the rules now, but also don't remember a specific rule for it in the past.  (You might be thinking of the rule about kingmakers/proteges getting targeted to switch factions/parties, maybe).

Flagging @vcczar for awareness: We'll need to eventually add a rule addressing whether kingmakers and/or proteges can move to other states, and if so, what happens to their kingmaker/protege bond.

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Interesting question.  Don't see it in the rules now, but also don't remember a specific rule for it in the past.  (You might be thinking of the rule about kingmakers/proteges getting targeted to switch factions/parties, maybe).

Flagging @vcczar for awareness: We'll need to eventually add a rule addressing whether kingmakers and/or proteges can move to other states, and if so, what happens to their kingmaker/protege bond.

I'd say they can't move because a kingmaker is typically a kingmaker because of state influence. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

Can the protege move, if they're willing to break the Kingmaker/Protege bond?

I can't think of any protege that did do that. However, I'm okay with there being choices. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

Didn't we want to stop the player from breaking protégé bonds though to prevent people cheesing gains though?

I honestly can't remember, but if that was an issue, then maybe they shouldn't be allowed to break it to move.

• Like 1