The Political Lounge

Era not covered yet

Bushwa777

50 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

I was wondering have we done a playtest covering 1920's and 1930's?  I would be willing to play that one too

No, but it requires someone who has been playtesting for a long time willing to set that up and lead that playtest. Also, I think playtesters should probably playtest no more than two playests at a time. From my perspective as the creator, the worst thing is when a playtest gets neglected because the playtesters get overburdened. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

No, but it requires someone who has been playtesting for a long time willing to set that up and lead that playtest. Also, I think playtesters should probably playtest no more than two playests at a time. From my perspective as the creator, the worst thing is when a playtest gets neglected because the playtesters get overburdened. 

I think that was what happened with the modern day playtest. I don’t know why it was abandoned for three weeks in the first place, and ebrk85 did a good job reviving it and leading it since then, but I think people lost interest and the quality really dropped off right before that. I’d also love to partake in a 1920s one (so I can hopefully control Huey Long), but I don’t want other playtests to suffer. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, jnewt said:

I think that was what happened with the modern day playtest. I don’t know why it was abandoned for three weeks in the first place, and ebrk85 did a good job reviving it and leading it since then, but I think people lost interest and the quality really dropped off right before that. I’d also love to partake in a 1920s one (so I can hopefully control Huey Long), but I don’t want other playtests to suffer. 

Yeah, I won't approve of any more playtests until one of the current ones reaches 2020 or we get like 6 new people to join the forum to learn playtesting. 

• Like 2

Yep, issue definitely isn’t lack of ideas for start dates. I’d love to test literally all of them.

Issue is it is a frankly insane amount of time commitment for the testers — and then multiply that times at least ten for the person actually running the test, who needs to be extremely familiar with every aspect of the 100+ page rule book and be creative enough to keep people interested and at least somewhat skilled with spreadsheets, and even if they’re doing all these things, one player dropping out or being noncommittal can grind everything to a halt despite their best efforts.  It’s a huge undertaking, and often a thankless job.

As pretty much our only game runner for the first couple years, I’m so thrilled to see more and more people reaching the point where they become ready to run a test themselves, because I am burnt the heck out. Haha.  It happens.  I’ll take a step back for a few months, then come back to run a new game later once I feel I have the energy again. 

Right now I’m in grad school (graduating next December) while dealing with a full time job and raising my daughter and fixing our ancient house and dealing with my medical issues and…so while there are times that I want to play today, I can’t commit that I’ll want to keep running it every single day six months from now, and if I can’t make that commitment then there’s no point.  So for now, I’m on hiatus until I graduate next December, and godwilling we’ll have an actual computer game to play with by then, so that’s probably it for me as a game runner.  Though I’ll certainly test the shit out of it as a game tester! ;c)

Just sharing the perspective from one game runner at least, on why we can’t have more and more and more playtests.  Even running a single game is a pretty life-altering commitment for months to years at a time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

And thanks to you @MrPotatoTed. I do not know how you juggled all that you were for so long.  Since I started the 1948 playtest I don't think I've done anything but go to work and come home and work on these playtests. And I don't have kids and such currently to also worry about. So huge kudos to you for helping us get to this point in development. Will be soooo much easier to "test" once we have a functioning computer game.

Ok back to my spreadsheets 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, I won't approve of any more playtests until one of the current ones reaches 2020 or we get like 6 new people to join the forum to learn playtesting. 

I’d be up for learning to play test should the opportunity arise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EYates said:

I’d be up for learning to play test should the opportunity arise.

Yeah after 3 months or so or 6 months I would not mind doing a lone playtest even, as long as the game is not out. 

But I do hope this site stays and we can even maybe still do playtests? 

On 12/16/2022 at 4:51 PM, vcczar said:

I would absolutely be more than willing to playtest again if you'd have me, and a playtest opens up. I don't have anything that will be pulling me away that I can't manage I don't think!

21 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I would absolutely be more than willing to playtest again if you'd have me, and a playtest opens up. I don't have anything that will be pulling me away that I can't manage I don't think!

We just need more people who aren't already engaged in them and someone that has the time to organize, set up, and lead the playtest.