The Political Lounge

Shakespeare RP 2

vcczar

@vcczar

Manager (Officially represents the company and acts as your administrative #2. Can retrain their acting position)  : John Goodluck

Prompter (Manages the play manuscripts, writes out the lines for each actor, plots the play for the actors): Draw

Tireman (Manages the costumes, repairs and amends the costumes, etc.): Thomas Shipwash

Stagekeeper (Cleans the theatre, repairs the stage, decorates the stage, writes the play bills to advertise the play and hangs them up in the area): Edward Cole

• Thanks 1

I'm taking over for @Rodja and will act as a computer player. @ConservativeElector2 to simplify this playtest, since I have little time to run this, why don't you pick one eligible performance place and you'll have that performance place for the entire month. So basically we just ignore the booking restriction rules. I'll probably have to do some other short cut things. The playtest will still test most of the game mechanics. I'll just have to do another playtest when I have more time again. Or when others learn the game enough that they can manage a playtest. 

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm taking over for @Rodja and will act as a computer player. @ConservativeElector2 to simplify this playtest, since I have little time to run this, why don't you pick one eligible performance place and you'll have that performance place for the entire month. So basically we just ignore the booking restriction rules. I'll probably have to do some other short cut things. The playtest will still test most of the game mechanics. I'll just have to do another playtest when I have more time again.

Ok, then I pick Newington Butts for the whole month.

Or when others learn the game enough that they can manage a playtest. 

Hopefully, I'll be able to do that after this playtest.

@ConservativeElector2

Acquiring Plays for the Company

A playing company's Prompter has the capacity to take care of 30 plays at a time, 26 which will need to be staged. As new plays provide bonuses, there will eventually be a lot of turnover with the plays. 

Here's how you can get plays: 

1. Purchase, sell, or trade with another company. This isn't an option right now, obviously.  
  2. Purchase or sell a play at the bookstalls outside St Paul's Cathedral. This was where the book trade, printing trade, and publishing trade was located in London. A play that is older than 50 years -- before 1526 -- is 10 shillings (half a pound) and a more recent play is 1 pound. You don't have any plays to sell at the moment.
  3. Use a play written for you by a playwright. This isn't an option yet. 

The bookstalls will only sell published plays. Playwrights will produce unpublished plays. Any company has access to published plays. As in, every company can own the same published plays. Unpublished plays are valuable because your company will own the exclusive rights to the play and its performances. However, for now, we can only get published plays.

This is what you all need to do this turn.

1. See the "Published Plays" tab -- I've moved it to the first tab spot. 
  2. Remember you only have 30 pounds remaining. There's now way you'll have 26 news plays this month, so you'll have to repeat some performances, which will produce some low profit nights, but it's necessary at the moment. Let me know which published plays you want to purchase. It costs 18 pounds for the entire collection of current published plays. 
  3. Keep in mind that you still need buy costumes, which will be the largest expense. If you have to purchase all the types of costumes, then it will cost you 22 pounds for inaccurate costumes. You might get some donations from your patron, but it's 10% chance or less that they'll do it. You might have to take out a loan, which will have to be paid back before you can make a profit. If you don't repay a loan by next January, you're company will fold. 

Anyway, give me the names of the plays you want to purchase. You won't be able to get 26 plays--one for each day of performance--so you'll be repeating plays, which is something you'll want to avoid once you can afford 26 plays. 

@vcczar

Buying all the cheap old ones, and some more recent plays for variety. Tell me if that's doable or if it's going to cripple my company financially  lol

The World and the Child
Everyman
Mankind
Generic Cycle of Mystery Plays
The Castle of Perseverance
Interlude of Youth

Ralph Roister Doister

Gorboduc

Abraham

Damon and Pythias

Edited by ConservativeElector2

16 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

@vcczar

Buying all the cheap old ones, and some more recent plays for variety. Tell me if that's doable or if it's going to cripple my company financially  lol

The World and the Child
Everyman
Mankind
Generic Cycle of Mystery Plays
The Castle of Perseverance
Interlude of Youth

Ralph Roister Doister

Gorboduc

Abraham

Damon and Pythias

Can you copy+paste your plays into your tab in the play section. Copy the entire role next to the play number. Do not delete the play from the PublishedPlay section. 

@ConservativeElector2 both companies have 25 pounds left. 

The companies have purchased their plays. I'll  see if the companies have any luck getting any hand-me-down's for costumes from their wealthy patrons when I can. 

While I do that: 

You'll now cast your plays. Fill out the following:

1. Of your five adult actors, who is:  *you cannot select an apprentice or boy actor for an adult role*
    1. Lead Dramatist (Best if has high skill, tragic boost, and has Lead Dramatist ability):
    2. Lead Clown (Best if has high skill, comedy boost, and has Lead Clown ability)
    3. Lead Support (Best if has high skill and some sort of boost)
    4. Support 2 
    5. Support 3
  2. Of your Three Apprentices, pick the best to be  *You have to pick among those already labeled as an apprentice*
    1. The lead apprentice (This actor will play your lead female roles.)
    2. Apprentice 2 (plays female or minor character)
    3. Apprentice 3 (plays female or minor character)
  3. You can leave the Boy Actors where they are as there isn't a lead boy. They play children and servants typically. 

The actors will play these roles for all of the plays this months. You'll certainly have actors playing roles that are out of their league, but that will slowly change. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

You'll now cast your plays. Fill out the following:

1. Of your five adult actors, who is:  *you cannot select an apprentice or boy actor for an adult role*
    1. Lead Dramatist (Best if has high skill, tragic boost, and has Lead Dramatist ability): Robert Smith
    2. Lead Clown (Best if has high skill, comedy boost, and has Lead Clown ability): Edward George
    3. Lead Support (Best if has high skill and some sort of boost) : William Mason
    4. Support 2 : Edward Cod
    5. Support 3 : John Goodluck
  2. Of your Three Apprentices, pick the best to be  *You have to pick among those already labeled as an apprentice*
    1. The lead apprentice (This actor will play your lead female roles.)  Thomas Sparrow
    2. Apprentice 2 (plays female or minor character)  John Conquest
    3. Apprentice 3 (plays female or minor character)  Edmund Fogg
  3. You can leave the Boy Actors where they are as there isn't a lead boy. They play children and servants typically. 

The actors will play these roles for all of the plays this months. You'll certainly have actors playing roles that are out of their league, but that will slowly change. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Ok, I've process your moves. I'm keeping the CPU company's actors in their defaul roles because moving them around won't improve anything.  @ConservativeElector2

Copy+pasting the next part of the rules:

It's now time to give me a list of the 26 plays you wish to stage for your 26 performance places. To make it easy for you, just reorder the plays on your company list, but changing the number to the right of it. You'll all have to repeat plays because none of your have 26 plays, so I'll just repeat in the same order. Here are some things you'll want to keep in mind: 

• Try not to repeat keywords "Classical" "Comedy" "Morality" etc twice in a row. You want variety. 
  • Avoid staging the same play back-to-back. 
  • Ideally, you don't want to restage a play twice in a month, but that is unavoidable right now. So ignore this for now. 
  • I could get bogged down into other strategies you can attempt but I'll talk about that once every company has a full set of plays. I also need to playtest performances to get a good idea of this. 

In short, watch keywords and avoid back-to-back plays for now. 

Once I get your plays in order, it will probably take me several days to process 26 play performances for the companies and determine audience numbers, profit, etc. Fortunately, I'm only processing two companies. There's an off chance I can get this done tomorrow. Won't have another chance until Thursday or this weekend. 

@ConservativeElector2 Just so you know, tomorrow (Tuesday) and Thursday are the days I'll have time to work on this. I'll be grading final papers for Summer session over the weekend, with the bulk of them being graded on Monday and Tuesday of next week. So I won't make much progress for about a week after Thursday. However, after that, I'll have a few weeks off from work. Unless I'm going on vacation, I should be able to work on this RP every day for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, you get the hang of it and can help in processing things after awhile. 

39 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok, I've process your moves. I'm keeping the CPU company's actors in their defaul roles because moving them around won't improve anything.  @ConservativeElector2

Copy+pasting the next part of the rules:

It's now time to give me a list of the 26 plays you wish to stage for your 26 performance places. To make it easy for you, just reorder the plays on your company list, but changing the number to the right of it. You'll all have to repeat plays because none of your have 26 plays, so I'll just repeat in the same order. Here are some things you'll want to keep in mind: 

• Try not to repeat keywords "Classical" "Comedy" "Morality" etc twice in a row. You want variety. 
  • Avoid staging the same play back-to-back. 
  • Ideally, you don't want to restage a play twice in a month, but that is unavoidable right now. So ignore this for now. 
  • I could get bogged down into other strategies you can attempt but I'll talk about that once every company has a full set of plays. I also need to playtest performances to get a good idea of this. 

In short, watch keywords and avoid back-to-back plays for now. 

Once I get your plays in order, it will probably take me several days to process 26 play performances for the companies and determine audience numbers, profit, etc. Fortunately, I'm only processing two companies. There's an off chance I can get this done tomorrow. Won't have another chance until Thursday or this weekend. 

I arranged a list of 26 plays with alternating genres. I've also bolded them when we're playing them for the first time.

40 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@ConservativeElector2 Just so you know, tomorrow (Tuesday) and Thursday are the days I'll have time to work on this. I'll be grading final papers for Summer session over the weekend, with the bulk of them being graded on Monday and Tuesday of next week. So I won't make much progress for about a week after Thursday. However, after that, I'll have a few weeks off from work. Unless I'm going on vacation, I should be able to work on this RP every day for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, you get the hang of it and can help in processing things after awhile. 

Thanks for letting me know!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@ConservativeElector2

I'm going to pause this playtest until Anthony starts working on AMPU again. I don't have much incentive to work on this game when I'm unsure when AMPU is even going to be released.

I see. Hopefully Anthony gets his act together.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I see. Hopefully Anthony gets his act together.

I know you’re having fun, but I’m definitely not. I love the game I made but it isn’t fun when I can’t really run it. GMing playtests really require blocks of time. My blocks of solid time are so infrequent that when I have them it’s like work to do the playtest because I’d rather use that time reading, writing, or playing a game on PC. Almost all my PC gaming is just simming stuff in the background now. I might never lead a playtest again and just train you or someone else on how to do it. 

• Based 1