The Political Lounge

Your Ancestry Poll

vcczar

Your Ancestry Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. To your knowledge, what does your ancestry going back to the year 1500 compose of?

• Sub-Saharan Africa
    • Northern African Berber
    • Indigenous North American
    • Indigenous South American
    • Indigenous Atlantic Islander
    • Mongolian
    • Korean
    • Mandarin or other Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Southeast Asian such as Thai, Viet, Cambodian, Filipino
    • Indian Subcontinent person.
    • Baltic
    • Scandinavian, including Finnish
    • German
    • Portuguese
    • French
    • Italian
    • Spanish
    • Greek
    • Balkan Slavic, such as Serb, Croatian
    • Eastern Slavic such as Russian, Ukrainian, Belarussian
    • Western Slavic such as Polish, Czech, Slovakian, Sorb
    • Scottish
    • Irish
    • English
    • Welsh
    • Iran/Persian
    • Turkish
    • Arabic Middle Easterner
    • Jewish, whether European or not
    • Pacific indigenous, including aborigine in Australia and Ainu in Japan
    • Other that I forgot to add
  2. 2. Does your family have a family tree?

3. 3. Do you find genealogy interesting?

1 hour ago, jnewt said:

I need to save up for grad school, so I don't think I can pay at all, but I would be interested in seeing what you could find at your convenience. I'm aware that I have ancestors from England, Ireland, and Germany, but I'm not sure where else.

You won't have to pay. I'd just need your most recent ancestors born before 1940 -- grandparents or great-grandparents most likely. Names, date of birth, location of birth, as much of that info as you can give me. If they're born after 1940, it's a lot harder to find available info. 

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

All four of my grandparents were born in the 1920's.

Even though you're older than me, I have older grandparents than you -- 1900, 1904, 1910, and 1927. I should include my stepgrandfather, born in 1921. 

If you let me know more information about your grandparents, I can help you find your ancestors. 

On 5/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, vcczar said:

You won't have to pay. I'd just need your most recent ancestors born before 1940 -- grandparents or great-grandparents most likely. Names, date of birth, location of birth, as much of that info as you can give me. If they're born after 1940, it's a lot harder to find available info. 

I'll message you

• Like 1

This is why I like genealogy, especially Massachusetts genealogy. @jnewtand I are approximately 9th cousins via our shared ancestor Maj. Simon Willard of Concord, Lancaster, and Charleston, MA. 

Most people with early MA ancestry are going to be related. I once heard a genealogist say that George HW Bush was probably the first president that was probably related to 50% of the electorate. What the genealogist means by that is related via Colonial ancestors.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

Does that inevitability of relation include those with Native Lenape or Abenaki (in their several original ethnic nations) heritage? I know there was quite a bit of interbreeding after a certain point (though not as much as in New Spain, New France, the HBC territories, or the Dakota Territory), but I'm not sure how genetically intertwined they became, in the end.

I don't think it includes them. 

2 hours ago, Patine said:

It never does. 😞

It’s hard to determine the ancestry, especially far back. DNA is odd too. It shows up in a DNA test only back a few hundred years, and then you don’t get a totally predictable % of DNA. For instance, if we were brother and had a black mother and white father, you might show up as 59% black and I might be only 47% black, because you can inherit more dna from one parent.