The Political Lounge

Japan 2005 RP-Present: From Postal Politics and Beyond

Kitten

On 11/11/2021 at 9:36 PM, Timur said:

1.Koike announces her faction will support Koizumi.

2.Koike gives a speech to the Nippon Kaigi where she promises "not to give in to the interests of South Korea."

3.Koike will attempt to recruit Sanzo Hosaka

4.Koike will attempt to recruit Kazuo Aichi.

5.Koike holds a rally in Tokyo where she calls the DPJ a bunch of hypocrites.

6.Koike will ask Koizumi to make her his minister of defense or minister of foreign affairs.

(8) Koizumi appreciates the factional support however; it wasn’t like he needs it. The PM is expected to be reelected regardless but he appreciates the gesture of goodwill and is expected to consider promoting Koike for her loyalty.

(5) It’s a fairly average speech, but appealing to the same group over and over won’t do much. Koike needs to spread her message.

(5) Sanzo refuses to join her faction. However, he did say he’ll consider it depending on things.

(7) Kazuo agrees to join Koike’s faction! A coup for the Minister!

(5) Tokyo already loves the LDP but the message of the message is not an appealing one. Overall, a rather uneventful speech.

(1) Prime Minister Koizumi is absolutely furious! Not only is Koike late for the meeting with the PM but her tone throughout it has made the Prime Minister storm out. Many of his aides say that he might even demote Koike for such a terrible meeting.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:29 PM, WVProgressive said:

1. Recruit Takahiro Sasaki

2. Recruit Naoki Minezaki

3. Yukio Hatoyama will propose the Financial Security Act which gives funding to Japanese police forces to establish cyber crime divisions.

4. Yukio will hold a rally in Chiba, talking about the Democratic Party's plan to deepen Japan's economic integration with East Asia. 

5. Yukio Hatoyama will organize a fundraiser for the Democratic Party.

6. The DPJ will remove Kenji Kobayashi from the PR list, and ask him to resign, and leave the party. Publicly, Yukio will give a speech condemning Kenji's actions.

(5) (9) Takahiro Sasaki refuses to join Hatoyama’s faction but Councilor Naoki Minezaki does join his faction. Overall, a good meeting for the leader of the DPJ.

(4) Many Japanese are weary of the idea, especially when the DPJ and the LDP have the same position. Underwhelming but it could have been a lot worse! One good thing about this is that PM Koizumi is willing to be bipartisan and make this bill pass the Diet.

(3) Economic integration? Like the EU? Many Japanese are skeptical especially when this could potentially lead to Japan becoming dependent on other Asian Countries.

(1) A disaster! The fundraiser cost more to organize than it raised. The DPJ is broke!

(3) Many appreciate the attempt of the DPJ to clean up its act but many Japanese see this and remember just how bad all politicians are. It could have gone worse but Hatoyama is a skilled leader and this is only the beginning of the DPJ.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:57 PM, Fbarbarossa said:

Recruit Taro Kimura

Recruit Sanzo Hosaka

Aso will attend various events around Tokyo where he will attempt to promote his own ideology

Aso will again give a speech on his idea of direct democracy, giving the people more control of their governance.

Aso holds a large fundraiser in Tokyo

(3) (4) Both Kimura and Hosaka refuse to join Aso’s faction. Talk about a rough week for the minister!

(7) After a disaster last time, many in Tokyo appreciate Aso return and more thought-out events. People are warming up to the Minister. Maybe he’ll be PM one day?

(5) An average speech. Not his best one but it is a lot better than the pervious one he had a week ago. Maybe try speaking into the mirror before you try to explain your ideas.

(6) Aso’s war chest is getting those doners! Maybe if he makes more, he can use that cash for his future leadership campaign.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:59 PM, Mothwoman said:

1. Recruit Kazunori Yamanoi

2. Recruit Tetsuro Fukuyama

3. Propose the Cultural Protection Act which tightens immigration controls.

4. Maehara, and Izumi will tour Kyoto talking in favor of the DPJ’s local candidates

5. Seiji Maehara will go on a media tour attacking the Japanese Communist Party.

(2) Kazunori Yamanoi refuses to join Sejii’s faction! “You are not our leader! You lost the leadership fair and square and yet you still want me to join your group? I will respectfuly pass and I plan on staying neutral for the sake of party unity”

(8) “Of course, I’ll join your faction my friend! We have to keep your influence in the party high! Sure, you might have lost the leadership but you have good ideas as to where the Democratic Party will go!” Tetsuro Fukuyama is now the latest member f the Conservative Faction in the DPJ

(4) Many political commentators are skeptical of this bill and many in the Diet see it as an attempt of hurting the already hurting economy. Koizumi will certainly be voting against it as Japan is in need of skilled labor and the immigration system it currently has is just right for that.

(9) The DPJ is loved in Kyoto! Keep it up and it will translate to the next election…which is four years away. Overall, the people of Kyoto are having seconds thoughts on the LDP and are now looking at the DPJ as the next potential government.

(2) Attacking the communists is seen by many as a desperate move by Maehara as the Communists have actually worked with the DPJ from time to time. What is he trying to do? Hurt the current leader or send a message to the communist? Many people don’t like this style of politics where you attack your past friend and then work with them regardless.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, The Blood said:

HOR Recruitment: Akira Kasai

HOC Recruitment: Tadayoshi Ichida

1. The JCP will propose new legislation lowering the consumption tax rate to 3%, declaring that the regressive tax must be lowered for the good of the Japanese proletariat.

2. Kazuo Shii will do a media tour, speaking during one interview about the need to nationalize major Japanese tech companies to ensure that, "The gains of our nation's progress are not left to the few."

3. The JCP will double-down in its bid for the youth vote, launching canvassing drives and holding events on college campuses to attract young adult support. 

(8) The latest member of the Communist Party elected in Sep 11th has agreed to join Shii’s faction! A tremendous event as Shii continues to consolidate his control of the communist party!

(6) “My friend, perhaps I will consider joining your faction but surely you know that we in the Communist Party are united with our leader. We’ll talk soon, perhaps when our influence grows in the Diet”

(1)  A complete disaster as many people are against the lowering of the consumption tax! Especially when it funds critical government services that the Japanese depend on! Prime Minister Koizumi even comes out and condemns the Communists for trying to even attempting to hurt governmental services and vows to whip the LDP against this bill! (He has almost complete control of parliament after all) On top of that, when the bill is submitted it stated that instead of lowering the consumption tax, it actually raises it by 8%

(8) His media appearances are a huge success! While many tech companies oppose this move, many Japanese, especially young people like the idea of nationalization. Many are opening their ears to a party that is still considered a national security threat. Perhaps if the leadership keeps it up, they’ll be able to improve their messaging with the people!

(9)

THE POWER OF YOUTH! (Please watch from 1:05 to 1:09) Many college students have begun to register for a political party for the first time and that party is the Communist Party! Communism is spreading into the academic world and many new college students are being recruited by the day! Shii has a plan and it is working wonder in Japan! Come the next election, the Communists will certainly be a major force if the course stays this way.

1 minute ago, Rezi said:

Generic Pringles events 

(7)(1)(4)

Abe had a fairly quiet week. First, he delivered a great speech to Freshmen LDP members, but there was an accident when the Representative accidentally spilled water on Prime Minister Koizumi.  Abe apologized and well his apology was accepted but it was a rough week as he did not even attempt to recruit members into his faction.

(We have lost two players and they have informed me about it! But that is okay! Stand by for the write up and the next turn! Thanks everyone!)

Sep 21st 2005

Koizumi Reelected as Prime Minister!

gettyimages-55731989-612x612.jpg.ee27d70f384c9c2c97581cbf1829a813.jpg

Inauguration of the Third Koizumi Cabinet

gettyimages-55733135-612x612.jpg.99287995ee3509ddca904c1cb9da37f1.jpg

All Cabinet members temporarily resigned at the extraordinary Cabinet meeting held in the morning. At the 163rd special Diet session in the afternoon, Mr. Junichiro Koizumi, the President of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), was elected as the 89th Prime Minister of Japan during the plenary session of both the House of Representatives and the House of Councillors.

After his appointment by the Diet, Prime Minister Koizumi held a press conference at the Prime Minister's Official Residence where he expressed his resolution that, "Till now I have advanced reform with the support of many people. I interpret the results of this snap election as the voice of the people telling me to 'continue advancing structural reform.' I intend to firmly advance structural reform without stopping the reforms, backed by the support and cooperation of many people, and I ask for your understanding in this regard."

Prime Minister Koizumi then was appointed the 89th Prime Minister of Japan (the 56th person) since Hirobumi Ito at the investiture of the Prime Minister and attestation ceremony at the Imperial Palace. Furthermore, Prime Minister Koizumi reappointed all the ministers of the Cabinet reshuffled in September 2004 and formed the Third Koizumi Cabinet. The ministers then took a commemorative photograph after their first Cabinet meeting.

Press Conference by Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi

"I have been entrusted with the great responsibility of the post of Prime Minister for the third time as a result of my appointment as head of the Cabinet at today's plenary session of the House of Representatives. I ask for your support and cooperation in this endeavor. Based on the stable foundation by the coalition between the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and New Komeito Party I will firmly maintain the structural reform on the track that I have advanced thus far.

Till now I have advanced reform with the support of many people. I interpret the results of this election as the mandate expressed by the people of Japan to "continue advancing structural reform." I intend to firmly advance structural reform without stopping, backed by the support and cooperation of many people, and I ask for your understanding in this regard."

[Q & A]

QUESTION 1: The third Koizumi Cabinet will be inaugurated today. Prime Minister Koizumi, your term lasts another year until September 2006. I believe that in this one-year period you will try to bring the Koizumi reforms to fruition. In your recent press conference as president of the LDP, however, you said that there was a plethora of domestic and foreign challenges that needed to be addressed. During this year, what will be your top priority and how will you chart the course of running the administration? Please elaborate on both the domestic and diplomatic aspects.

PRIME MINISTER KOIZUMI: First of all, in this special Diet session that was convened today, I would like to enact the bills related to the privatization of the postal services which were dropped at the last Diet session. After that, I will advance the reform package of the three issues on subsidy, local allocation tax and transfer of tax sources concerning local government reform, based on the policies of "leave to the private sector what it can do" and "leave to the localities what they can do," which have been underscored in the previous "Basic Policies for Economic and Fiscal Management and Structural Reform." In formulating the budget toward the end of the year, we must get down to the details of reducing subsidies by four trillion yen, transferring roughly three trillion yen in tax sources and reviewing the local allocation tax.

I will continue to tackle the issue of reducing the number of civil servants and total personnel costs involving civil servants. As soon as this Diet session is over, the budget formulation for next fiscal year will start. Specific figures will be generated at that time. Since this will be the last time that I, or the Koizumi administration for that matter, will formulate a budget, it will be an extremely important budget formulation. The existing reform track, or the stance of "no growth without reform," aims to invigorate the business climate and economy without relying on public spending. A course must be defined that will prevent any backtracking of this reform.

On the diplomatic front, we did not see the reform of the United Nations (UN) and other matters become a reality at this session of the UN General Assembly. Based on the lessons we have learned by cooperating with other countries so far, I believe we must spearhead efforts toward reform that will allow us to move forward even in some small way with the aim of creating a stronger UN.

Counterterrorism is an issue that the international community is most concerned about and requires the cooperation of many countries. Therefore, I believe we must cooperate with regard to counterterrorism, bearing in mind how Japan can fulfill its responsibility as a member of the international community.

There is also the issue of humanitarian and reconstruction assistance to the people of Iraq. Regarding the issue of North Korea, we reached an agreement at the Six-Party Talks, but a great many issues remain as to how this agreement can be put into effect. The Six-Party Talks will be held again in November. From now until then, we must make progress in negotiations and dialogue on how we can resolve the outstanding bilateral issues between Japan and North Korea.

Taking all of this into consideration, there is indeed a plethora of domestic and diplomatic issues. I will work hard to fulfill my duties as Prime Minister in the year I have left of my term.

QUESTION 2: In today's election at the plenary session of the House of Representatives to designate the Prime Minister, over 10 rebellious Diet members who were elected as independents voted for you. Among them, there are some Diet members who have expressed their intention to support the bill related to the privatization of the postal services. Please tell us how you regard this and how this response will affect the content of the disciplinary measures within the LDP that is expected to take place in the days to come.

PRIME MINISTER KOIZUMI: I am grateful that a fair number of independents designated me as head of the Cabinet. I believe that looking at the election results, even those who opposed the bills related to the privatization of the postal services have recognized that the people were in favor of privatization. To honor public opinion, we will resubmit the bill related to the privatization of the postal services without changing its content in the coming Diet deliberations. I believe that some Diet members who opposed the bill related to the privatization of the postal services in the previous Diet session will now support it in order to respect the will of the people, bearing in mind that "my way of thinking until now was not in line with the public's way of thinking." As for how these Diet members will be handled, I believe that the party executive will give consideration to this matter in close consultation with the House of Councilors after looking at the outcomes and the deliberations on the bill. I think that is too early to determine what kind of measures will be taken at this point in time. Furthermore, I believe differences will arise depending on the individual, and whether they belong to the House of Representatives or the House of Councilors. I think the party executive will make judgments concerning disciplinary measures while listening to the opinions of the Party Ethics Committee and in view of future deliberations and how the individual in question responds. At this point in time, I do not think we are at a stage where we can say, what we should do about this person or another.

QUESTION 3: Many new people won seats in the House of Representatives in this election. Do you intend to appoint any of the new Diet members as ministers or vice-ministers when you reshuffle your Cabinet?

PRIME MINISTER KOIZUMI: We must first make every effort in the deliberations at this Diet session. I believe the ensuing personnel matters are issues that must be decided in view of both the House of Representatives and House of Councilors after the Diet session is over.

QUESTION 4: Fifty-eight-year-old Yuriko Hatoyama was newly appointed as President of the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) after the election. Are you looking for the same qualities that DPJ President Hatoyama is using to his advantage-in other words, "youth" and "freshness"-in a candidate to succeed you in the so-called "post-Koizumi era?"

PRIME MINISTER KOIZUMI: Mr. Hatoyama became the new DPJ President and he is 58 years old. He is 5 years my junior, and I think that he has introduced some fresh air into the political world. I know from past discussions that Mr. Hatoyama is a very earnest, ambitious Diet member. I think that Mr. Hatoyama’s appointment will not only make the DPJ rejuvenate itself, but also have the effect of alerting the entire political world in a positive way about the need for a breath of fresh air and rejuvenation.

As I said, I think Mr. Hatoyama becoming the DPJ President will not only revive his party, but will also have a significant impact on the LDP in the days to come. Depending on Mr. Hatoyama’s achievements, I think a sense of expectation among the people will override their anxiety about his young age. I hope Mr. Hatoyama will flourish in this way.

I think there are many aspects on which the LDP and DPJ can cooperate with each other, based on Mr. Hatoyama’s thinking and what I have heard in discussions with him. As he is calling for a change in political administration, it is fine to accentuate the differences between the LDP and DPJ, but I think it is necessary to highlight the points of similarity and stability as well. I feel that Mr. Hatoyama is the type of person who would take this kind of approach.

QUESTION 5: Prime Minister Koizumi, you mentioned previously the reform package of the three issues and reform of the civil service. Both of these are thorny issues, raising confrontation between national and local governments or among ministries as each seeks out their own interests. Is it your intention to resolve such difficult issues in the one year that remains of your term, or is it your intention to merely present a direction for these reforms?

PRIME MINISTER KOIZUMI: There has already been stiff resistance to the reforms I have advanced to date. Reform of the highway-related public corporations, the privatization of the postal services and regulatory reform are all issues that have faced fierce opposition not only from various ministries, but also from Diet members. With regard to the reform package of the three issues that you just mentioned, a basic policy was issued last year and there has been strong resistance and opposition to it. Despite such resistance, however, I will continue to proceed with reforms in accordance with the basic policy. Resistance may be strong. While fully recognizing such resistance, I have been advancing reforms because they are necessary. I intend to continue along the path laid out in the basic policy. On top of that, it does not mean that just by accomplishing one thing all reforms will come to an end. As there is no end to the reform, there is no stopping. I believe a foundation on which my successor can advance reforms must be created.

QUESTION 6: You have mentioned the issue of reform of personnel costs involving civil servants, and there are other issues, including the reform of government-related financial organizations which you did not cover today. These issues are being discussed in the meetings of the Council on Economic and Fiscal Policy, with a view to issuing policies or guidelines this autumn. You have just stated that resistance among the ministries to such reform is still strong. Could you tell us specifically how you intend to demonstrate leadership as Prime Minister and proceed with reforms?

PRIME MINISTER KOIZUMI: Prime Minister Koizumi: My stance remains unchanged in that I will continue to proceed as I always have. Resistance to these issues always exists. I have been criticized either as a dictator, or at the other extreme for leaving all decision-making to others. The fact is that the basic policy has remained unchanged from four years ago. The question is how I realize the things I said four years ago. Take salaries of civil servants for example. Even if we were to set the salary in conformity to private sector standards, it is the case that in the private sector too, standards differ between urban and rural corporations. How we respond to such differences remains an issue.

With regard to the issue of government-related financial organizations too, ministries have been resistant to abolishment and consolidation or privatization efforts, insisting that they need such organizations. In an environment in which private sector-led economic trends have become so strong, I believe that it is necessary to adopt a financial system that does not hinder the vitality of the private sector and that will suit the new age. In that sense, although I have only one year remaining, it is my intention to announce a definite policy towards the abolishment and consolidation and privatization of government-related financial organizations, and see to it that reforms are put on track, whoever my successor turns out to be.

QUESTION 7: I would like to ask what your take is on Mr. Yukio Hatoyama, the new President of the DPJ. It seems that, not only Mr. Hatoyama, but the new executive of the DPJ have significantly broadened their ground for discussion with the LDP concerning such issues as the Constitution, diplomacy and security. You have mentioned a change in political administration, but when considering political realignment both during and after your term, including partial partnerships for individual bills, how do you expect the relationship between the DPJ executive under Mr. Hatoyama, and the LDP to develop?

PRIME MINISTER KOIZUMI: I believe that the future prospect of the issue of political realignment is difficult to perceive. Some people claim that, "The opposition party, as the second party, must differentiate itself from the LDP as Japan is now a two-party system." However, I believe that the differences between the two leading parties in countries which practice a two-party system are conversely being ironed out. If the two parties must be differentiated in some way, it is indeed best for the DPJ to transform back into the old Socialist Party. If this happened, however, would people then believe that an opposition party which is truly capable of changing the political administration would have been formed? I am doubtful of this theory.

The media, without any delay, criticizes the DPJ when it is cooperative with the ruling party, branding them as the "second LDP." I do not believe that it is quite right. As saying goes "agree where you can and oppose where can't agree", I believe there are many areas in which the current DPJ and the LDP may cooperate. I am not going to give any specific example, but I believe that there are a number of areas in which they choose not to cooperate when in fact they actually could, due to this fear of being called a "second LDP."

It is precisely because we follow a two-party system that it becomes harder for the opposition party to come to power unless it steps closer to the ruling party. The United Kingdom, Germany and the United States all practice a two-party system. When taking a look at these two-party system countries, there are not many differences between the ruling and opposition parties. I suppose that this is in fact the reason why a change in political administration takes place. The people will think that change in political administration is impossible if the opposition party today turns into the former Socialist Party by saying, "We must differentiate ourselves from the ruling party" and "We oppose the move simply because it was proposed by the ruling party." I believe that this is the challenge faced by the DPJ, the largest opposition party in Japan. I will pay close attention with great interest to the moves made by the new DPJ under President Hatoyama to see how it will differentiate itself from the LDP while cooperating and whether they are capable of formulating a policy that would not arouse concern among the people even if they were to gain the reins of government. I intend to cooperate fully with the DPJ in areas in which we are able to work together.

gettyimages-55732455-612x612.jpg.89715e22175ffa9bc0f00cb03dc3ad7a.jpg

Sep 22nd 2005

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi attended the attestation ceremony of Senior Vice-Ministers of the Third Koizumi Cabinet at the Imperial Palace, and delivered the letters of appointment to the Parliamentary Secretaries at the Prime Minister's Official Residence.

At the first meeting of the Third Koizumi Cabinet held on September 21, decision was taken to reappoint the Senior Vice-Ministers and the Parliamentary Secretaries currently in office as well as newly appoint four Senior Vice-Ministers and five Parliamentary Secretaries whose seats had been left open. In the evening of September 22, Prime Minister Koizumi took commemorative photographs with the Senior Vice-Ministers and the Parliamentary Secretaries, respectively.

Sep 25th 2005

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi attended the closing ceremony of the EXPO 2005 Aichi, Japan held in Aichi Prefecture.

The EXPO 2005 Aichi, Japan participated by 121 countries and four international organizations and held over the course of six months came to an end on this day. The first international exposition of the 21st century held under the theme of "Nature's Wisdom" welcomed approximately 22 million visitors, far exceeding the initial target of 15 million. On its final day, the closing ceremony and other events were held, and a chorus of all relevant members of the participating countries and international organizations drew the 185-day exposition to a close.

At the closing ceremony which was attended by approximately 2,250 people in the presence of His Imperial Highness The Crown Prince, who is serving as the Honorary President of EXPO 2005, Prime Minister Koizumi delivered an address stating, "It is my deepest wish that EXPO 2005 Aichi will help to realize a society in which humankind and nature can live in harmony."

The Japan Association for the 2005 World Exposition had established a target of 15 million visitors considering such factors as the size of the venues. In the end, the number of visitors surpassed this target by more than seven million and set a record among the international expositions held in Japan after the Osaka World Exposition and the International Garden and Greenery Exposition, Osaka.

Address by Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi at the Closing Ceremony of EXPO 2005 Aichi, Japan

“His Imperial Highness The Crown Prince,

Ladies & Gentlemen,

On the occasion of the closing ceremony of the 2005 World Exposition, Aichi, it is my honor to address this gathering on behalf of the Government of Japan.

Since the opening of EXPO 2005 Aichi, many people from home and from countries and regions of every corner of the world, have come to sample the delights the World Exposition has to offer. Visitor numbers have significantly exceeded initial expectations, with over 20 million visitors ensuring the success of EXPO 2005 Aichi. That the World Exposition has proved such a resounding success is in no small part due to the tireless efforts of more than 120 countries and organizations, individual companies and groups, and people from all walks of life, as well as the governments of Aichi Prefecture and the City of Nagoya. I offer my sincere and heartfelt thanks to all those involved.

Six months ago, at the opening ceremony of the World Exposition, I stressed the importance of taking to heart the spirit of "mottainai"-literally translated as "don't waste what is valuable"-as part of efforts to realize a balance between environmental protection and economic development. At the World Exposition, we have utilized fuel cell power generation using raw waste materials and biodegradable plastic items, demonstrating how respect for the "mottainai" spirit can be effectively harnessed in our daily lives together with the power of science and technology. I am certain that many visitors have been impressed by the technologies empowered by the spirit of "mottainai."

It is my deepest wish that EXPO 2005 Aichi will help to spread the concept of "mottainai" around the world, and that by not wasting what is valuable, we will be able to realize a society in which humankind and nature can live in harmony.

In closing, I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation and respect to everyone involved, not least the members of the Japan Association for the 2005 World Exposition, whose dedicated efforts day by day have brought us to such a successful conclusion.”

gettyimages-55766263-612x612.jpg.1480dbea8a3527100d200088a32c00bd.jpg

Sep 26th 2005

General Policy Speech by Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to the 163rd Session of the Diet

The 163rd session of the Diet was convened and Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi delivered a general policy speech to a plenary session of the House of Representatives and the House of Councillors following the opening ceremony.

In his speech, Prime Minister Koizumi remarked, "I am resolved to continue to push forward with the structural reform under the policies of 'no growth without reform,' 'leave to the private sector what it can do,' and 'leave to the localities what they can do.'" In addition, he stated the basic policy for each of the areas: accelerating the privatization of the postal services and structural reform, safety and reassurance of the people, and Japan in the context of the international community.

In concluding his speech, Prime Minister Koizumi called on the people of Japan and the members of the Diet that, "Without reform there is no tomorrow. Without the support of the people reform cannot be achieved. The engine for these reforms is each and every one of the people of Japan. The success or failure of the reforms rests with the strong will of the people and the motivated action of the politicians. Signs of self-confidence are beginning to appear in Japanese society, with a spirit of challenge in a new era and a sense of 'if you do it, it will happen.' By ceaselessly pushing forward with reforms, let us take this opportunity to build a brighter future for Japan with courage and passion."

“I have been entrusted with the great responsibility of the post of Prime Minister for the third time, following the recent general election. I am resolved to continue to push forward with the structural reform based on the stable foundation of the coalition between the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and the New Komeito under the policies of "no growth without reform," "leave to the private sector what it can do," and "leave to the localities what they can do."

Since my inauguration as Prime Minister of Japan, I have pressed forward with wide-ranging structural reform, encompassing financial, taxation, regulatory and expenditure reforms with the aim of reviving and developing Japan. The result of these reforms has been the achievement of the government's goal for the disposal of non-performing loans and the move towards a private sector-led economic recovery without relying on public spending.

We must not stop the reform now when the buds of reform are growing into large trees in a variety of fields.

In advancing reform, we face the fact that although basic policies for reform may receive support, once individual details start to be discussed, they come up against the wall of vested interests and deep-rooted opposition. People may agree in principle but disagree once they get down to the details. A typical example of this has been the privatization of the postal services. No one has ever tried to tackle this issue as it has been the one that has met with the strongest resistance.

Many are in agreement that we must "reduce the number of civil servants," "boldly push forward the administrative and fiscal reforms," and "leave to the private sector what it can do." Why is it the case then that the work of only the post office must be performed by civil servants and cannot be taken on by the private sector?

In the previous session of the Diet, the bills related to the privatization of the postal services were defeated. I sought to directly ascertain the will of the people about whether they truly judged the privatization of the postal services to be unnecessary. It was for this reason that I dissolved the House of Representatives. It was also due to my conviction that the privatization of the postal services is at the very "heart of the reforms" which will lead to structural reform in all kinds of fields including public and fiscal administration, economy, and finance.

In the recent general election in which the question of the need for the privatization of the postal services was put to the people, the LDP and New Komeito, the supporters of privatization, gained a mandate from many of the people of Japan. With public opinion as a significant source of support, I will resubmit the bills related to the privatization of the postal services to the Diet, which will deliberate them on behalf of the people. I am resolved to enact the bills.

The postal services employ 260,000 full-time national civil servants. The number of police officers nationwide, who are responsible for ensuring the safety and reassurance of the people of Japan, on the other hand, is as many as 250,000; the Ground, Maritime, and Air Self-Defense Forces combined amount to 240,000 personnel; and the total staff of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including those who work at the ministry in Kasumigaseki and those dispatched to overseas establishments in over one hundred countries around the world, number less than 6,000. Is it really necessary for civil servants to continue to operate the postal services?

If the postal services were to be privatized, I believe that more diverse and better products and services would be developed and provided through ingenuity and knowledge. Utilizing the precious assets of the people as funds for the private sector will lead to economic vitalization. Postal privatization would also contribute to Japan's financial rehabilitation through payment of corporate taxes, from which the post office has previously being exempt, and through the sale of shares. The privatization of the postal services will accelerate the realization of a simple yet efficient government.

I am fully aware of the concerns raised among the people that privatization will bring "closure of post offices in sparsely populated areas" or "post offices will no longer handle savings and insurances." The Government will maintain the network of post offices which serve as a valuable asset for the people and will ensure that convenience for the people is not hindered in any way.

I will strive not only to privatize the postal services, which are the "entrance" of the funds, but also reform the government-related financial organizations, which are the funds' "exit" from the system.

By the end of next fiscal year, I will work to realize the reform package of the three issues of reducing subsidies by four trillion yen, transferring roughly three trillion yen in tax sources and reviewing the local allocation tax, under the policy of "leave to the localities what they can do," while seriously considering the local governments' opinions.

Since the inauguration of the Koizumi Cabinet, I have advanced expenditure reforms amounting to roughly ten trillion yen, including reducing expenditure on public works projects by about 40 percent. I will wholeheartedly tackle fiscal structural reform to make sure that by the early 2010s, policy-related expenditures will be covered by that fiscal year's tax revenues and other sources without having to rely on new debts. With regard to the remuneration of civil servants, I will review the remuneration system such that the remuneration situation of the private sector in each of the urban and rural areas is correctly reflected in that of the civil servants in their respective regions. I will also establish a target net reduction figure for the number of civil servants and reduce the total amount of personnel costs.

I will press forward with this structural reform and will thereby reduce the size of the government boldly.

Japan, with its birthrate decreasing together with the progression of an aging society, faces the prospect in the near future of a serious decrease in population. It is therefore essential to create a robust society, in which each and every one of us will be able to lead an affluent life, ensuring that we do not leave a burden for our children's and grandchildren's generations.

The social security system, which is based on the pillars of pension, medical care and long-term care, is the foundation that supports the daily lives of the people. I believe it is the responsibility of any political administration to realize a sustainable system with appropriate benefits and burden in order to eliminate the concerns of the people concerning their future. In particular, the pension system needs to be reformed from a long-term perspective, thus it is indispensable for the ruling and opposition parties to hold frank discussions and endeavor to bridge their differences of opinion.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest sympathy to the victims of the recent typhoons and other disasters as well as the hurricanes that hit the southern United States. I will make every effort for the recovery and reconstruction of the disaster-stricken areas in Japan so that the victims will be able to lead their lives with peace of mind at the earliest date possible. I will also endeavor to build Japan into a country that can promptly deal with disasters through such measures as promotion of earthquake-resistant buildings.

In order to tackle the issue of asbestos, over which there are concerns that damage may further spread, the Government will take concerted action for measures to aid the victims of asbestos as well as towards its early and safe removal.

The peace and stability of the world are essential for the safety and prosperity of Japan. With the Japan-US alliance and international coordination as the basis for Japan's foreign policy, Japan will play an active role as a responsible member of the international community.

The international community is now faced with more complex and difficult challenges than ever imagined before, such as addressing development issues including overcoming poverty in developing countries, conserving the global environment, and preventing the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

The other day, in my address to the High-Level Plenary Meeting of the 60th Session of the General Assembly of the United Nations (UN), I stressed the necessity of "an effective UN" to address many challenges we face today. With the understanding of and cooperation with like-minded countries, I will make the utmost efforts to strengthen the UN, including through reform of the Security Council.

The fight against terrorism is not over. Japan will cooperate with the international community and strive for the prevention and eradication of terrorism by, among other measures, extending the deadline of the Anti-Terrorism Special Measures Law.

In Iraq, the Iraqi people themselves are making efforts to establish a peaceful democratic nation. Japan's financial assistance through ODA as well as humanitarian and reconstruction assistance activities extended by the Self-Defense Forces have earned high praise from the people in Iraq. As to the future activities of the Self-Defense Forces, I will make my decision taking into consideration the requests of the Iraqi people and the international situation and upon closely assessing the situation in Iraq.

With neighboring countries including China and the Republic of Korea, Japan will strengthen cooperation in a wide range of areas and build future-oriented friendly relations based on mutual understanding and trust. On Japan-North Korea relations, I will aim to normalize our relations by comprehensively resolving the abduction, nuclear and missile issues.

Regarding the sharp rise in crude oil prices, there is concern that this will have a significant impact not only on Japan, one of the world's major oil importers, but also on Southeast Asian countries. In response, Japan swiftly released its oil reserves, and through such measures, is contributing to the international community. In order to prevent the occurrence of another oil crisis, we will continue to cooperate closely with other countries.

Japan will also actively advance its initiatives for bilateral economic partnership and work tirelessly toward reaching a final agreement at the new round of the World Trade Organization (WTO) negotiations.

Politics is for the benefit of nation as a whole. It should not protect the vested interests of a small minority. Postal privatization has continuously been criticized by some as a "ridiculous proposal," but I believe that the results of the general election prove that the people deem it to be a "sound proposal."

Solemnly accepting the mandate expressed by the people of Japan, I consider it to be my responsibility to bring about the privatization of the postal services. Without fear of hardship, without flinching before the wall of vested interests, and without being fettered by past practices I will, with the cooperation of the people, give it my utmost and devote all my energies to fulfill my duties as Prime Minister.

Without reform there is no tomorrow. Without the support of the people reform cannot be achieved. The engine for these reforms is each and every one of the people of Japan. The success or failure of the reforms rests with the strong will of the people and the motivated action of the politicians. Signs of self-confidence are beginning to appear in Japanese society, with a spirit of challenge in a new era and a sense of "if you do it, it will happen." By ceaselessly pushing forward with reforms, let us take this opportunity to build a brighter future for Japan with courage and passion.

In this, from my heart I ask for the cooperation of the people of Japan and the distinguished members of the Diet.”

The Fifth Meeting of the Headquarters for the Promotion of Privatization of the Postal Services

The fifth meeting of the Headquarters for the Promotion of Privatization of the Postal Services was held at the Prime Minister's Official Residence.

The Headquarters for the Promotion of Privatization of the Postal Services headed by Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi and comprised of all Cabinet members approved the bills related to the privatization of the postal services which will be resubmitted to the current special Diet session. Revisions were made to the bills submitted earlier, including postponing the schedule for privatization by half a year, reflecting the revisions made at the House of Representatives, and making the necessary amendments as required by such revisions. At the Extraordinary Cabinet Meeting which was held after the meeting of this Headquarters, the revised bills to be resubmitted were approved. The bills were submitted to the Diet on this day.

In closing the meeting, Prime Minister Koizumi delivered an address in which he expressed his resolution that, "The people of Japan gave another life to the bills that have once died. I ask for all your support as I will see to have these bills adopted during the current Diet session."

gettyimages-55770191-612x612.jpg.22039af7e52f79769b86fec780db8c08.jpg

Players state how you will be voting on the following bills: Aye or Nay (this does not count as a turn)
Consumption Tax Decrease Act
Culture Protection Act
Financial Security Act

Same as last few turns. Five events per turn, 2 recruitments. Bill submission is also an option for free events. Also if you are a party leader(the only Party leaders are The Blood and WVprogressive) you can request a merger with any of the other parties. Any questions? Feel free to ask! Take your time everyone! Next turn will have a nice surprise!
@Pringles@The Blood@Mothwoman@Timur@Fbarbarossa@WVProgressive

gettyimages-55766263-612x612.jpg