The Political Lounge

AMPU Political Bios Help

vcczar

AMPU Political Bios Help  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in helping me fill out politician bios if you are given token payment for volunteering (say $700)?

• Yes
    • Possibly (please give reasons for not selecting "yes" in a comment below)
    • No
  2. 2. If you selected "Yes" or "Possibly," check all these below to show that you are aware of what this task entails.

• I am aware that the game has about 7,000 politicians in need of bios (Note: I've filled out a few hundred already)
    • I am aware that each politician has a wikipedia link from which I am extracting bio information.
    • I will adhere strictly to the algorithm VCCZAR gives me for the bios.
    • I am aware that 90% or more of the major politicians have been filled out, so that my bios will likely be brief as the remaining politicians are much more obscure.
    • I am aware that this spreadsheet work is very tedious.
    • I am aware that if I work on about 100 of these on average a day, I'll finish in about 70 days. [VCCzar will still fill some of these out]
    • I am aware that I cannot share the information in the spreadsheet or the spreadsheet with anyone.
    • I am aware that I cannot alter the bios that have already been filled out.
    • I am aware that I need to finish these bios prior to early release, which will take place sometime this Summer.
    • I am that VCCzar might have other things he can't think of at the moment of which I need to be aware of.
  3. 3. How much do you love tedium?

• I breathe for tedium! Shackle me to this eye-destroying spreadsheet! Infect with the brain rot that only long-term spreadsheet work can give me!
    • I'm okay with it. At least, I'm not in a POW camp or dodging rockets in Ukraine.
    • I don't like it, but duty and the desire to see a completed game pulls me to it.
    • No thanks! Tedium is a torture I can't endure.

So Anthony asked me if I was still looking to conscript someone to fill out the politician bios. I'm going to push for $700 to allocate to this as a token payment for volunteering to do this. Check out the poll.

@A man from Colorado @Arkansas Progressive @bradleyg223 @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Hestia @Ich_bin_Tyler @jvikings1 @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @SilentLiberty @themiddlepolitical @Vols21 @Willthescout7 @WVProgressive @vcczar

I selected "Possibly".  Honestly, it sounds really interesting, even if all the big names are taken.  Hell, that makes it MORE interesting, because I'll be learning about people I don't know about in all likelyhood.  TBH even before the other thread where I threw my hat in the ring for help playtesting if you needed that I thought about maybe offering help with the bios since it seemed like that was a lot of work, but there were/are a few things holding me back.  1)  I didn't feel like it was my place to butt in at the time, but since you asked, that solves that.  2)  I was worried maybe my writing style would be jarring compared to the existing bios, like it'd be "too obvious" the bios were written by multiple authors.  I mean, if you don't care about that, great, no concern there.  3)  100 per day is indeed a lot (though also to be fair, less on weekdays, more on weekends, eh).  I assume you're going to assign multiple people to this?  I wouldn't want to take on that workload alone, but if there were at least two of us, sure, I'm game. I don't care about the payment size being affected, etc, or whatever you need to do to make that work, cause like I said I'd thought about volunteering for free.

As for boring work and spreadsheets, oh boy.  I work all day on spreadsheets at work, then come home and look at spreadsheets FOR FUN. Over the past 7-8 years the genre of game I've played the most is probably sports management sim.  Not sports, SPORTS MANAGEMNT.  IE not the games where you're kicking the ball, the games where you're negotiating the best contract with players to squeeze every last dime out of your budget.  I can handle the boring stuff. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willthescout7 said:

One of my favorite parts of TPP was taking the Politician Histories and transcribing them onto a google sheet. I have ASD, so sometimes working on the minutia like this makes me happy and feel at peace. If you are looking for help with this, I would gladly do it for you. 

Fellow no-lifer! Rejoice. 

@A man from Colorado @Arkansas Progressive @bradleyg223 @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Hestia @Ich_bin_Tyler @jvikings1 @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @SilentLiberty @themiddlepolitical @Vols21 @Willthescout7 @WVProgressive @vcczar

If you voted to help out in making bios in the poll above, please fill out the below, so I can make a decisions. Thanks!

1. How busy is your weekly schedule on average?

2. How many hours a day/week on average do you think you can spend working on filling out the bios?

3. How quickly do you tend to get burned out doing tedious work? 

4. How much can I trust you to finish the job once you start? [note: I've had volunteers just kind of disappear rather than finish the job, probably because the work was boring or overwhelming, and they didn't want to tell me that.]

5. Would you prefer to work along or prefer working with a 2nd person? [Note: If I get two volunteers there's a big chance the dollar amount the dev can allocate to this will be split between the both of you. However, if you work by yourself, then you'd get to keep the entire allocation. Still waiting to see what the dev thinks.]

6. Do you have any questions for me about this volunteer gig?

Sadly, busier than I'd like to be.

2. How many hours a day/week on average do you think you can spend working on filling out the bios?

Not sure, depends on the day. I guess 20 min/day is doable.

I guess it's the average for me. 

4. How much can I trust you to finish the job once you start? [note: I've had volunteers just kind of disappear rather than finish the job, probably because the work was boring or overwhelming, and they didn't want to tell me that.]

Well, I never left while doing the other tasks. If I couldn't continue, I would at least communicate that openly.

5. Would you prefer to work along or prefer working with a 2nd person? [Note: If I get two volunteers there's a big chance the dollar amount the dev can allocate to this will be split between the both of you. However, if you work by yourself, then you'd get to keep the entire allocation. Still waiting to see what the dev thinks.]

Ideally, all 11 people who voted yes could work on it.

No.

• Thanks 1

Depends on the week, but I usually have plenty of down-time to enjoy myself, and would be happy to allocate some of it to writing bios.

Probably 10 hours a week, more if I'm on break.

As long as I have headphones in listening to music, I can go for hours.

AMPU is too important for me to just walk away from the job, plus I'm too stubborn to not finish the job 😛

Either would be fine. A 2nd person would be fine and I would be fine splitting with another person. I think 2 people would make it more likely that it inevitably gets done but I know that I'd be able to do it alone.

Can we start it on or before Saturday? 😛 I can work a lot more over Spring Break. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

If you voted to help out in making bios in the poll above, please fill out the below, so I can make a decisions. Thanks!

it varies. Mostly depends on how many Dr appointments my parents need me to drive them to.   But plenty free time 

I can plan an 1-3 hours a day (I’ve been doing that or more doing the prep research for the next test)

not too bad    When burn out comes, change gears for a day then get back to it anew.

if I hit a rut, I’ll tell you    But I tend to finish what I start (how many weeks or months are you expecting it to last)?

either way is fine with me 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

1. Decently busy with law school but not without its free time. 

2. My weekended are usually clear. On weekdays, I usually try to give myself 5 hours of non-school work a day. That varies depending on how much reading I have to do though. Some of that time can be designated for this task.

3. Depends on the task. For bios, I already enjoy reading through Wikipedia pages, so that's not likely to be an issue. Putting it in the spreadsheet shouldn't be too much of an issue.

4. I won't abandon without notice or cause.

5. I have no issue working with others. The payout might be smaller, but so would the time put in (fair trade off).

6. Not at this time.

• Thanks 1

Not very, baring some normal things like appointments

4 hours during the week though I could do 6 hours on the weekend

4 to 5 hours for copy pasting, but with this I could dedicate 5-6 hours

I'll finish the job I'm given, and if I can't I will most certainly give a reason I have to stop

Either or. Working solo and a full cut is nice, but sharing the load (and reducing the total hours spent) is more than fine to get the job done

Nope, but I'll reach out if I do

Edited by Arkansas Progressive
  • Thanks 1

Meh, it definitely ebbs and flows.

10 hours a week is probably doable.

I honestly don't, I've run enough RPs to be able to finish a task when it has a definitive end goal.

I will walk away from neither AMPU nor money.

Doesn't particularly matter to me. If a second person is needed to feasibly fit the given schedule, I'd welcome it. If not, then it would be fine.

Not as of now!

• Thanks 1

I work a full time job, sometimes there's mandatory OT, but I don't expect any of that in the near future (our busy time is Jan-Feb and we just hired a ton of people so things are under control, but it's a remote possibility)

2ish hours each weekday, more ok weekends, but I'd adjust depending on how quickly it goes once I see how I actually handle it.  Average of course.

At 35 a day (with a partner) I'd say my chance of getting burned out is basically 0.  Conversely though, at 70 a day, I'd say my chance of getting burned out is basically 100%.  It's right at my level, that's why I suggested a team.  My job is quite tedious but doesn't burn me out, and I routinely take on tedious tasks "for fun".  I just have to know my limit.

Barring unforseen circumstances, I will make all efforts to complete it, and despite what I said above, if I get "bored" I might actually do extra work and finish this earlier, because as I said it actually sounds fun.  It's just the thought of a hard 70 a day limit that's a bit stressful.  Edit:  Forgot to add - if something comes up, I'm not gonna just poof, I'll give you a heads up.  Even if mandatory OT does roll back around I can probably still complete the task, as it's generally only 10 extra hours per calendar month required of us at the office.

To make it easier on you, I'll only put my hat in if you decide on a tag team.

None at this time.

Edited by OrangeP47
  • Thanks 1

• I only have solid commitments on Wednesdays, so other than work hours my week days are very open.

• I could commit to a minimum of an hour a day. I work in data and with spreadsheets, so I can get enough reasonably accomplished in that hour.

• Working with numbers as a career is tedious, so I am quite desensitized to dealing with minutia and tedium.

• My work ethic will not let me stop something that I have finished. Also very willing to help keep this game moving towards completion.

• Tandem data entry and collection makes the most sense from my perspective. 

• None
  • Thanks 1

How busy is your weekly schedule on average?

Class three days a week (Master's of Divinity), work on Fri-Sun.

Mondays I can spend all day. At least 1-2 hours on the Tues-Thurs. Friday-Sat are iffy, depends on when I get off work.

If it is work I care about I am in for the long haul. 

If I cannot continue, I will notify you. Once I start something I am in, so I won't disappear.

I don't particularly care. I would not require payment, so a second person could have all of it.

What sources outside of Wikipedia would we need access to in order to complete the project?

• Thanks 1