The Political Lounge

Part 18: 100 Most Influential Ranking

vcczar

Part 18: 100 Most Influential Ranking  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• John Dewey
    • John F Kennedy
    • John Locke
    • John Marshall
    • John Maynard Keynes
    • John Milton
    • John the Baptist
    • John Wilkes Booth
    • John-Shepherd Barron
    • Jonas Salk
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/2022 at 01:37 AM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the next part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

John Dewey One of the lead figures in Functional Psychology, an advocate for greater Democracy, education, and civil society. Helped push public opinion as a factor in governance.
John F Kennedy Pop culture figure who, as president, created the Apollo Program that put a man on the moon, and advocated the New Frontier that became LBJ's Great Society; amped up US aggression towards Communist Countries, laying the groundwork for the next stages of the Cold War
John Locke the father of liberalism. He may be the key philosopher in influencing the American Revolution, including the language of the Declaration of Independence.
John Marshall Most influential Chief Justice of the United States; elevated the 3rd branch of government as a co-equal branch
John Maynard Keynes Influential economist who formed the basis of Keynesian Economics, the most common economic thought worldwide today. The key concept being that the idea that a government should spend money that they don't have to save capitalism with consistent economic activity.
John Milton First successful, lasting creation of a literary anti-hero (Satan) as a central character. Influence future literature that used flawed, non-heroic protagonists.
John the Baptist Jewish itinerant teacher and forerunner to Jesus. According to Biblical tradition, baptized Jesus,
John Wilkes Booth Assassinated Abraham Lincoln, solidifying the mystique of Lincoln and altering Reconstruction from lenient to strict.
John-Shepherd Barron Invented the ATM cash machine
Jonas Salk His polio vaccine more or less eradicated one of the most frightening epidemics in the world.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Ironically, despite being the most common male given name across English-speaking history, John is one of only four (arguably, but not, officially, six) English/British/UK Monarchs with no regnal number post Norman Conquest because only one had the name (it seemed Robin Hood and Ivanhoe gave him a very unfairly bad rep, and gave a much better rep to his older brother, Richard, who apparently had some repugnant character traits). I'll do this poll after supper.

Yeah, but there's like 20 Pope Johns, haha.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, sort of. No Pope, to date, has ever hailed from an English-speaking country (and my comment was on John being the most historically-common name in the English language, and only one English/British/UK Monarch having it). Technically, those 20 or so Popes would be Johannes, the Latin version of the name. Just like there were Monarchs named Jean, Johann, Juan, Joao, Ivan, Ioannes, Yohannes, etc. But, I was specifically speaking of the irony of the name John in an English-language context.

Fair, but as an avid CK player I accept all regional forms in my quest to get the regnal number as high as possible.  Personally Ioannes is my favorite form.

Though on topic, I feel as if this list hasn't had many popes so far.

55 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Fair, but as an avid CK player I accept all regional forms in my quest to get the regnal number as high as possible.  Personally Ioannes is my favorite form.

Though on topic, I feel as if this list hasn't had many popes so far.

I've vote for John Paul II, maybe throw Pope Francis a vote too

19 minutes ago, Patine said:

The most influential Popes in history tended to be the old ones.

Ironically one could even make the argument John Paul I was more important than II even though he was very short reigned, because he started the plans that II finished.

4 hours ago, Patine said:

Well, sort of. No Pope, to date, has ever hailed from an English-speaking country (and my comment was on John being the most historically-common name in the English language, and only one English/British/UK Monarch having it). Technically, those 20 or so Popes would be Johannes, the Latin version of the name. Just like there were Monarchs named Jean, Johann, Juan, Joao, Ivan, Ioannes, Yohannes, etc. But, I was specifically speaking of the irony of the name John in an English-language context.

Speaking of the Pope, some pope might fit in this list. They were very influential.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Basically, Leo I, Leo III, Urban II, Innocent III, Clement IV, Alexander VI, Leo X, and Pius XII could easily be seen as among a tiny short list with only a few others joining them as the most influential Popes, even though many of their achievements are viewed in a negative light by many today.

How about Gregory VII or Nicholas I?

Edited by Timur
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Patine said:

But, what I mean is, the most influential Popes were among the Late Antiquity, Medieval, Renaissance, and Early Modern Ones. John XXIII was the most influential one in modern times, it could be easily argued.

Oh I was agreeing, I'm just saying JP2 isn't as big a deal over the whole span of time as some people think.