The Political Lounge

Random Presidential Facts

vcczar

This is from something I compiled a few years ago: 

1. Presidents with the most Supreme Court Justice Appointments fails. This included rejections, withdraws, and nominees refusing after nomination :

1. Tyler, 8
  2. Grant and Washington, 4
  3. Fillmore, Madison, Jackson, Cleveland, 3
  4. LBJ, Bush, Nixon, 2. 

2. Presidents by total years their confirmed SC Justices served:

1. FDR, 147 yrs
  2. Jackson, 128 yrs
  3. Lincoln, 104
  4. Reagan, 102
  5. Eisenhower, 95

3. Presidents by Economic Performance Index Better than Predecessor. Does not include Trump or Biden. 

1. FDR, 33.1
  2. Taft, 18.9
  3. Tyler, 17.3
  4. Truman, 15.9
  5. Reagan, 15.1

4. Presidents by Economic Performance Index Worse than Predecessor. Does not include Trump or Biden. 

1. Hoover, -45.8
  2. Lincoln, -30.7
  3. Th Roosevelt, -18.9
  4. Wilson, -18.2
  5. Jefferson, -15.2

5. Presidents by Veto Override %

1. Pierce, 56%
  2. A Johnson, 52
  3. GW Bush, 33
  4. Nixon, 16
  5. Wilson, 14
  6. Reagan, 12
  7. Tyler and Trump, 10

6. Presidents by Vetoes per Year %

1. Cleveland, 103.5 (1st non-consec term)
  2. FDR, 52.9
  3. Cleveland, 42.5 (2nd non-consec term)
  4. Ford, 33
  5. Truman, 31.25

7. Cabinet Turnover per Year %

1. Ford, 9.2
  2. Nixon, 6.9
  3. Trump, 6.9
  4. Fillmore, 4.4
  5. Clinton, 4.0

8. Failed Cabinet Appointments by Pres

1. Clinton and Tyler, 5
  2. Obama, 3
  3. Trump, GW Bush, Coolidge, A Johnson, 2

9. Pres Exec Orders Per Year %

1. FDR, 307.8
  2. Hoover, 242
  3. Wilson, 225.4
  4. Harding, 216.9
  5. Coolidge, 215.2

Note: Their presidencies connect. It was the norm to preside this way, regardless of party since Teddy Roosevelt. Eisenhower was the first president in ages to average less than 100 a year (60.5). Until Trump (55), Carter was the last to average more than 50 a year (80). Obama has the fewest average exec orders of modern presidents with just over 34 a year. Biden is closer to Trump (54.5). 

10. Reelection Bid Popular Vote Margin

1. J Adams, -22%
  2. Taft, -19%
  3. Hoover, -17%
  4. JQ Adams, -12%
  5. Carter, -10%

The only other presidents to have a negative popular vote margin are Trump, Van Buren, GHW Bush, and B Harrison. Both Harrison and Trump are the only presidents to lose the popular vote on election and in their failed reelection bid.  

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

I find it interesting that neither Obama nor Trump are on the list for the most executive orders per year, but the media lambasted them for, "unprecedented use of legislation by the Presidential pen." It goes to show my theory that the modern media and zeitgeist always pick on the incumbent when talking about various records of office, especially negative ones they want to gripe about. Justin Trudeau constantly gets such, "worst this-and-that all Canadian PM's ever," up here, too, as well as the, "Fascist," "Communist," "dictator," and other of the same BS, too. People today really need a sense of perspective and proportion.

Yeah, the attacks on Obama make the least sense. He had more presidential restraint than any president since before Teddy Roosevelt. Arguments against Trump make slightly more sense because he had more exec orders per year than Obama, GW Bush, Clinton, GHW Bush, and Reagan---basically the most in almost 4 decades. Biden is about at Trump's pace. 

Wow, I didn't know Taft was better on the economy than Roosevelt.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Only five U.S. Presidents lived for the entire publication run of those books - Ford died a year before the series finished with the publication of the Deathly Hallows, and Ronald Reagan, though he would have been alive for the publication of several, would have been condition, in his senility, to read them himself, or enjoy them if they had been read to him. Although I did all of them (and each book before watching the respective movie), and did enjoy them, I consider other works of fantasy greater milestones to read, in my own personal opinion - an opinion I'd very likely have shared by many others, even if the exact list of fantasy classics in question in a list of priority varied.

I saw the first two movies--not my choice. I haven't read any of the books. I'm just not really in to fantasy books like I was when I was in Middle School, when I read some of the Dragon Lance series. 

On 5/29/2022 at 7:57 PM, Patine said:

Only six U.S. Presidents lived for the entire publication run of those books - Ford died a year before the series finished with the publication of the Deathly Hallows, and Ronald Reagan, though he would have been alive for the publication of several, would have been in no condition, in his senility, to read them himself, or enjoy them if they had been read to him. Although I did read all of them (and each book before watching the respective movie), and did enjoy them, I consider other works of fantasy greater milestones to read, in my own personal opinion - an opinion I'd very likely have shared by many others, even if the exact list of fantasy classics in question in a list of priority varied.

Edit: Miscounted the number of U.S. Presidents who had lived through the entire publication run of the books.

I'm pretty sure he was reading them with his daughters, who would have been significantly younger when the books came out and probably weren't ready for weightier fantasies yet.  

I haven't read the books or seen the movies myself.  My only dive into fantasy was ASOAIF/Game of Thrones.

• Based 1