The Political Lounge

Part 39: 100 Most Influential

vcczar

Part 39: 100 Most Influential  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Winston Churchill
    • Wolfgang A Mozart
    • Woodrow Wilson
    • Wright Bros
    • Xi Jinping
    • Yuri Gagarin
    • Zoroaster
    • ***A Significant Historical Figure Was Left Off as a Nominee for the Top 100 in Parts 1 through 39? (PLEASE NOMINATE SOMEONE BELOW)***
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2022 at 11:40 PM

On 6/24/2022 at 12:24 PM, Timur said:

Chang-Tze

- Shang Yang

- Han Fei Tzi

- Shin-Tzu

Can you provide wikipedia articles for these people to make sure I get the right people. Their names don't bring anything up for me and I think it's the translation. 

@Patine @jnewt @SilentLiberty and anyone else. I typed in most of your suggestions into the spreadsheet. Here are some areas of need you can help me with:

- Who are some more of the most influential women in world history who are not monarchs?

- Who are some more of the most influential Africans in world history?

- Who are some more of the most influential people from Latin America in world history?

- Who are some more of the most influential people from Australia or Oceana in world history?

- Who are some more of the most influential people from the Southeast Asian islands (Japan, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, etc.) in world history?

- Who are some more of the most influential people from China in world history?

- Who are some more of the most influential people from India in world history?

- Who are some more of the most influential people from the Arab World in world history (Middle East, Northern Africa)?

- Who are some more of the most influential people from Turkey in world history?

- Who are some more of the most influential people indigenous people of any continent in world history?

I think the highest priority of the above is women. 

20 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Can you provide wikipedia articles for these people to make sure I get the right people. Their names don't bring anything up for me and I think it's the translation. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuang_Zhou

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shang_Yang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Fei

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Tzu

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Three pedantic notes but that would be of import to some.

-Japan is NOT a set of SOUTHeast Asian Islands. They are definitely NORTHeast.

-The term, "indigenous," is only a relevancy post-colonialization era.

-When you say, "Turkey," do you mean specifically the Republic of Turkey founded by Kemal Mustafa Ataturk in 1920, or also the Ottoman Empire and Seljuk Sultanates, or ALL Turkic Peoples, including also Turkmens, Azeris, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Kyrgyz, Uygiurs, Yakuts (Sakha), Tuva, Altai, and other Siberian Turkic groups, several Afghan ethnicities, and the Gagauz, plus historical groups as the Rouran Khanate, the Turkic Khaganate (and East Turkic and West Turkic Khaganates), the Khazar Khaganate, the Cuman-Kipchak Confederation, the Huns (including the White Huns), the Avars, etc.?

All Turkic could be included, but I'm looking for more Ottoman to modern era Turkish figures. 

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

- Who are some more of the most influential women in world history who are not monarchs?

• Norma McCorvey aka "Jane Roe"
  • Madeleine Albright
  • Victoria Woodhull
  • Grace Hopper
  • Henrietta Swan Leavitt
  • Barbara McClintock
  • Marjorie Merriweather Post
  • Madam CJ Walker
  • Estee Lauder
  • Coco Chanel
  • Margaret Thatcher
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Ada Lovelace
  • Marie-Sophie Germain
  • Irene Joliot-Curie
  • Anne Frank
  • Caroline Herschel
  • Emmy Noether
  • Rosa Luxemburg
  • Hedy Lamarr
  • Lise Meitner
  • Golda Meir
  • Mother Teresa

- Who are some more of the most influential Africans in world history?

• Idi Amin
  • Nefertiti
  • Tutankhamun
  • Anwar Sadat
  • F.W. de Klerk
  • Haile Selassie
  • Patrice Lumumba
  • Muammar Gaddafi

- Who are some more of the most influential people from Latin America in world history?

• Pablo Escobar
  • Rafael Trujillo
  • Augusto Pinochet
  • Fidel Castro
  • Che Guevara

- Who are some more of the most influential people from Australia or Oceana in world history?

• Ernest Rutherford
  • Rupert Murdoch
  • Howard Florey

- Who are some more of the most influential people from the Southeast Asian islands (Japan, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, etc.) in world history?

• Jawed Karim
  • Rabindranath Tagore
  • Muhammad Yunus
  • Ho Chi Minh
  • Pol Pot
  • Hideki Tojo
  • Sakichi Toyoda

- Who are some more of the most influential people from China in world history?

• Shih Huang Ti
  • Sun Tzu
  • "Tank Man"
  • Jack Ma
  • Bruce Lee
  • Charles Kao

- Who are some more of the most influential people from India in world history?

• Nagarjuna
  • Chandragupta
  • Aryabhata
  • Chanakya
  • Indira Gandhi
  • Brahmagupta
  • Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
  • C.V. Raman

- Who are some more of the most influential people from the Arab World in world history (Middle East, Northern Africa)?

• see Africans above
  • Ibn Saud
  • Mohammad Mossadegh
  • Xerxes I
  • Ayatollah Khomeini
  • Abu Zayd al-Balkhi
  • Hassan Roshdieh
  • Shaykh Ahmad
  • Omar Khayyam
  • Mohammad Reza Shah
  • Yasser Arafat

- Who are some more of the most influential people from Turkey in world history?

- Who are some more of the most influential people indigenous people of any continent in world history?

I'll try do the last two tomorrow

• Based 1

We’re getting close to my goal of 500 names. I’ll keep you updated as we get closer to it. I just wish there was a more user-friendly way for me to create the rankings. I sort of wish I could build an app for this, which wouldn’t be hard for someone that has programming skills. 

On 6/30/2022 at 9:26 AM, vcczar said:

I still got about 50 names and I'm filling in about 5 to 10 bios a day, so I probably won't be ready to post the next polls until next week. 

Do you want any help with the bios?

On 6/27/2022 at 2:52 AM, jnewt said:

Did you have time to search for qualifiers here?

26 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Did you have time to search for qualifiers here?

• Talaat Pasha

• Daron Acemoglu

• Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

• Tecumseh

• Geronimo

• Crazy Horse

• Massasoit

• Sacagawea

• Squanto

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Of any continent? All of these are of the same continent - in fact, in the borders of the same modern nation... 🤨

Of any continent. Basically, I'm looking for marginalized people who are not European-descent who should be seriously considered for the top 100. I think Ottoman's (arguably European, but I'll say they aren't) are severely underrepresented. 

So we got well over 500 nominees now. I've added a few more as well. Got a lot of new names on my list, and I'll have to fill these people out. In order to do this right, I think I'm going to go continent by continent, region by region, to find anyone that arguably has a worldwide impact. 

• I feel like there must be more marginalized people -- women, racial/ethnic minorities, indigenous people worth considering. 
  • I feel like there must be more people from Australia, New Zealand, Oceania
  • I feel like the entire Sub-Saharan Africa is under-represented
  • As is, North Africa
  • Ottoman Empire
  • Persia/Iran
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • Central Asia
  • China
  • Japan
  • Scandinavia
  • South America
  • Central America
  • Caribbean
  • Mexico
  • Canada

Hey everyone. I'm going to make a spreadsheet and a new way to vote on everyone. It will calculate for you 100 votes to apply to the various candidates. It will also automatically total everyone so that we can see who wins instantly. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

Your patience for these kinds of tasks is a quality I don't have - I would find it tedious and unbearable, myself. Even in my office, those who tabulate and compile reports and other documents for statistics, tendencies, feedback, and bureaucratic needs (and funding) are different people than the social workers.

I find it tedious and unbearable too. I am motivated just to see how I find. Typing everything out into a spreadsheet and then on to the forum decreases my lifespan. I do it for all of you.  Not for me. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I find it tedious and unbearable too. I am motivated just to see how I find. Typing everything out into a spreadsheet and then on to the forum decreases my lifespan. I do it for all of you.  Not for me. 

That should say who I find. 

I've finished all the bios for letters A-C. Once I get done with these, we will be ready to do the voting on the spreadsheet. What I will do to make it much easier for everyone is that I'll have your ballots pre-filled with the likely top 100 people. So all you'll have to do is delete the votes of those who you don't think should be on there, and then find others from the list that deserve to be in their spot. It will mathematically count your votes and show you how many people you've voted for, so you'll know if you need to increase or reduce votes to get it to 100 votes. 

• Like 1