The Political Lounge

"Always stand on principle...even if you stand alone." -- A Single Player 1772 Adventure

1 hour ago, 10centjimmy said:

Delete

But I'm miffed about the momentum shift from a single battle

I mean, technically you haven't won a single significant battle in two years. Haha. The momentum has indeed shifted.  Plus, just got unlucky rolling a 6, the worst possible momentum outcome for ya.  

If we're being honest, either I miscalculated your chances of winning last round or the rules changed in the interim, because I remember it being a 20% chance (+1 for each battle won) and now it's +2 for medium battles and +3 for difficult battles, so 50%.  But it's entirely possible that I was the one who changed the rules after the last round, I don't remember. Haha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 10centjimmy said:

Promote von Steuben

Appoint FranklinCPU Nathaniel Mitchell to the empty General spot

They're both controversy-free, have at least 3 military ability, and there is no Senate Majority Leader to interfere, so both are automatically confirmed.  Huzzah!

Military-Industrial Complex likes von Steuben.  Conservative +1 Red (but it's already maxed out).

JayCPU +50
FranklinCPU +25

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@10centjimmy for executive actions!

So here's where I had the question on "Compel Cabinet Officer to Resign". If there's no one eligible, do we just keep the existing cabinet so there's never a new cabinet per administration.

If I can't do it against the current Attorney General, then I think Marshall's only executive action will be "Pro-Military Budget Increase Policy".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

So here's where I had the question on "Compel Cabinet Officer to Resign". If there's no one eligible, do we just keep the existing cabinet so there's never a new cabinet per administration.

If I can't do it against the current Attorney General, then I think Marshall's only executive action will be "Pro-Military Budget Increase Policy".

I'm okay with us testing out the rules I put in the feedback, which is that you can take the action as long as either the President OR the cabinet member meets the required triggers.  (I haven't checked if Marshall or the Attorney General meet the requirements, I intentionally drafted that rule "blind".)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'm okay with us testing out the rules I put in the feedback, which is that you can take the action as long as either the President OR the cabinet member meets the required triggers.  (I haven't checked if Marshall or the Attorney General meet the requirements, I intentionally drafted that rule "blind".)

Marshall has Ironfist but Sullivan doesn't have any of the "bad" traits

However, based on Vcczar's edit,  looks like no one meets the requisite traits so it's lifetime appointments still. 

Executive actions will be:

1. pro military budget

2. Give major speech to help pass legislation next phase "Establish Federal Death Penalty"

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

1. pro military budget

2. Give major speech to help pass legislation next phase "Establish Federal Death Penalty"

The speech is a success!  Points will be worth double for the death penalty next phase, and pliable conversions on the vote will be 10% more successful.  (May need you to remind me of this when the time comes, haha.)

@10centjimmy +100
EllsworthCPU +50
FranklinCPU +100
PinckneyCPU +100
JayCPU +100

HancockCPU +100
RandolphCPU +50
BooneCPU 0
PaineCPU -100
LeeCPU +50

• Like 1

Because a new state has been added without striking an overall balance between slave states and free states... (which is now 13 slave states to 1 free state)...

@10centjimmy-250
EllsworthCPU -500
JayCPU -250
HancockCPU -250
RandolphCPU -250
BooneCPU +250

Domestic stability falls by 2, into the potential civil war level.

Party preference +2 Blue. 

EllsworthCPU (the civil rights faction) is particularly incensed about this situation.  EllsworthCPU candidates get +2 in all of the upcoming primaries and elections.  

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Because a new state has been added without striking an overall balance between slave states and free states... (which is now 13 slave states to 1 free state)...

@10centjimmy-250
EllsworthCPU -500
JayCPU -250
HancockCPU -250
RandolphCPU -250
BooneCPU +250

EllsworthCPU (the civil rights faction) is particularly incensed about this situation.  EllsworthCPU candidates get +2 in all of the upcoming primaries and elections.  

This seems like an oversight that might be useful to share with the player ahead of the potential stability drop... perhaps through an in-game warning or something. I would've vetoed Tennessee or at least tried to prevent it if I had been made aware that this was going to happen. 

No worries for this, but man that is really unfortunate this early in the game and in actual history when there wasn't a balance of free and slave states. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the historical balance didn't become an issue or goal until the 1810s with the culmination of the 1820 Missouri Compromise. 

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

This seems like an oversight that might be useful to share with the player ahead of the potential stability drop... perhaps through an in-game warning or something. I would've vetoed Tennessee or at least tried to prevent it if I had been made aware that this was going to happen. 

No worries for this, but man that is really unfortunate this early in the game and in actual history when there wasn't a balance of free and slave states. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the historical balance didn't become an issue or goal until the 1810s with the culmination of the 1820 Missouri Compromise. 

Agreed, I only just noticed it myself last night in 3.0.  

• Like 1

@10centjimmy for awareness.

After 12 years in office, MD Governor William Smallwood announces he will not run for re-election.

After 4 years in office, NC Governor PinckneyCPU James Iredell is not eligible for re-election.

After 8 years (on and off) in office, NY Governor @10centjimmy Leonard Gansevoort is not eligible for re-election.

After 8 years in office BooneCPU, VA Governor George Mason is not eligible for re-election.

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

After 8 years (on and off) in office, NY Governor @10centjimmy Leonard Gansevoort is not eligible for re-election

Bummer, definitely thought it was consecutive given how Clinton had 12 years or something. 

Replaced with a career tracker so another faction will probably get the slot

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 10centjimmy said:

Bummer, definitely thought it was consecutive given how Clinton had 12 years or something. 

Replaced with a career tracker so another faction will probably get the slot

Term limits probably weren't in place during Clinton's tenure.  Or I missed it, one of the two. Ha.  There is a gov action you can take to make breaks in service not count against the total, but no state has done so yet.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 2:50 AM, MrPotatoTed said:

@10centjimmy-250
EllsworthCPU -500
JayCPU -250
HancockCPU -250
RandolphCPU -250
BooneCPU +250

Reversing all this due to @vcczar's new rules on how state balance works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1798 Governor Elections!

CT: @10centjimmy Amasa Learned defeats PaineCPU Faction Leader Thomas Chittenden for the vacant seat.

MA: @10centjimmy Gov. Shearjashub Bourne re-elected over RandolphCPU Joseph Bradley Varnum.

MD: JayCPU John F Mercer wins the vacant seat, unanimously.

NC: HancockCPU John Sevier ties PinckneyCPU Senator Alexander Martin, then Sevier wins the tie-breaker.

NH: EllsworthCPU Governor John Sullivan is re-elected over RandolphCPU Samuel Bell.

NJ: EllsworthCPU Governor Richard Howell is re-elected over HancockCPU Joseph Bloomfield.

NY: JayCPU Ambassador and Faction Leader John Jay defeats HancockCPU John Armstrong Jr.  

PA: PaineCPU Thomas Paine unseats incumbent Governor JayCPU Thomas Biddle.

RI: EllsworthCPU William Jones unseats incumbent Governor RandolphCPU Isaac Wilbur.

SC: @10centjimmy Governor Edward Rutledge re-elected over Thomas Bee.

TN:  BooneCPU Career Track Andrew Jackson elected to become the first TN Governor, unanimously.

VA: @10centjimmy James Wood ties BooneCPU Senator Thomas Jefferson, then defeats Jefferson in the tie-breaker.

• Like 2

Hey guys please post anything that's interesting that's happened in your playtest in the last couple of weeks here: https://www.politicslounge.com/topic/1436-ampu-best-playtest-moments/ 

Anthony is going to send an email out on the 1st and wants to know if there's anything I should add. Feel free to provide any maps for elections, if there are any. Really just anything interesting, funny, etc.