The Political Lounge

The Adventures of George and Martha Washington (and also the rest of USA) - A 1772 Singleplayer Experience

Lars

Im reading up on how @Cal did the convention. One of us is horribly wrong, but for once, I'm not sure its me. Cal treated it like a multiple choice test, where I've gone with the more traditional way of treating it as pieces of legislation.

I'm not convinced I'm wrong here, so for the moment, so the 3/5ths Compromise still stands. Although regardless of what format I had used, there isn't a snowballs hell in chance it wouldnt be the 3/5ths Compromise.

More research will happen and if necessary, the format will change but not the results.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lars said:

Im reading up on how @Cal did the convention. One of us is horribly wrong, but for once, I'm not sure its me. Cal treated it like a multiple choice test, where I've gone with the more traditional way of treating it as pieces of legislation.

I'm not convinced I'm wrong here, so for the moment, so the 3/5ths Compromise still stands. Although regardless of what format I had used, there isn't a snowballs hell in chance it wouldnt be the 3/5ths Compromise.

More research will happen and if necessary, the format will change but not the results.

I’ve done it as all the proposals are made and “then” the voting on all of them happens.

The Constitutional Convention, Day 3

"Button Gwinnett needs a breath mint"

"I keep looking over the numbers... I just dont get it, Thomas"

George murmurred to Thomas Jefferson. Together they had come up with a clever plan for the Constitution: Unicameralism.

You see, in other countries with vague notions of democracy, they always had two chambers in congress: One for the old ruling class and one for the common man. However, this new America consisted exclusively of rich, landed men, so we could drop this whole "House of Representatives" thing.

But why? Well, Jeffy and Georgie agreed on one thing: They were going to be able to control the new Senate and be elected president for life.

There was just one tiny issue: There was a vote and due to reasons, it was tied at 6-6 with one state abstaining.

Why? Button Gwinnett had a tuna sandwich for lunch. This had kept the convention secretary from looking directly at him when he placed his vote. Thus it had been marked down wrong.

The entire future of America rested in pockets of some 12 year old kid, who had been sent out to buy some breath mints. It was uncertain if such a thing had been invented, but it was their best bet.

The vote had gone tie after Thomas McKean of the progressive faction had decided to vote for the third option (unicameral, only representatives). If that disharmonious bastard got a chance to vote again, he might tip the scale and thus bicameralism would become a thing.

No, it relied on breath mints. If Button got them, he could go back to the secretary and complain about his vote being  marked down wrong. That would mean The Good Guys (tm) would win the day.

Constitution: Article 1, results:

Unicameral (Senate): 7 states

Bicameral: 5 states

Abstaining: 1 state (thanks Thomas)

• Like 1

The Constitutional Convention, Day 4

I retract my previous statement about Thomas McKean

No long winded speech this time. King George is happening.

Constitution: Article 2, results:

Life time term, appointed by Congress: 8 states

Four year terms, boring democracy stuff: 5 states

shut up simba.jpg

• Haha 3