The Political Lounge

AMPU: 1948 Playtest - The Nuclear Age

ebrk85

12 minutes ago, jnewt said:

@ebrk85 Shouldn't Dan K Moore have had a +1 bonus in the NC Senate race?

Ok yea. See the election sheet doesn't show that and there is no way I can check each of hundreds of individual candidates. Not sure best way to handle that going forward.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

it was actually an equal number of flips.

Delaware, Indiana, Ohio, and Washington state flipped red to blue

Kentucky, Montana, South Dakota, and Vermont flipped blue to red

yeah but we GOP do not have many states.  You Dems are controlling the US Gov.  Not sure yet on the Senate 

5 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Question for you vets.  I am starting to think of cabinet makeup for 1957-1958.  CIA and FBI I know I do not touch (unless it is there time which @ebrk85 can inform me at that time) but the Fed chair is that also a spot that stays untouched unless ready to be touched?

Its a 6 year term for Fed Chair. So depends when they were appointed.

What the Governors map looked like by faction pre-1956: Image

What it looks like after this cycle of govs races:

As mentioned before, the number of states changing hands between parties evened out:

In Delaware, incumbent Republican Governor Caleb Boggs lost narrowly to Democratic nominee Lex du Pont Bayard

In Indiana, Democratic nominee Vance Hartke narrowly edged out Harold W Handley in the general

in Kentucky, voters elected Republican Marlow Cook over Congressman Happy Chandler

in Montana, Republican Tim Babcock defeated Ted Schwinden

in Ohio, Democratic nominee Anthony Celebreze defeated Governor Jim Rhodes

in South Dakota, Republican George T Mickelson ran unopposed after Governor John Bonner was term-limited out. 

in Vermont, incumbent Democratic Governor Philip Hoff narrowly lost reelection to Consuelo N Bailey

in Washington, Governor Arthur B Langlie lost to Democratic nominee Clarence D Martin.

Other notable results include:

Secretary of Agriculture George Romney trying and failing to unseat Governor Soapy Williams in Michigan

Democratic Senator John W King trying and failing to to unseat Governor Wesley Powell in New Hampshire

in Kansas, war hero Dwight D Eisenhower attempted a primary challenge against Governor Frank Carlson but Carlson won both the primary and general with relative ease

• Sad 3
  • Based 1

20 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Ok yea. See the election sheet doesn't show that and there is no way I can check each of hundreds of individual candidates. Not sure best way to handle that going forward.

Ahhhh, I thought there was a formula written in for that. I just wrote one out for Moore, and can add it to the other races as well. (I needed to add a column to the worksheet to make it work, but should be good.)

2 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Ahhhh, I thought there was a formula written in for that. I just wrote one out for Moore, and can add it to the other races as well. (I needed to add a column to the worksheet to make it work, but should be good.)

Thanks appreciate it

Class III Senators heading into the 1956 cycle: 

Class III Senate results in 1956:

Republicans flipped two seats:

in Alaska, Republican Ted Stevens unseated Senator Ralph Rivers

in Kansas, Senator John M Houston lost to Garner Shriver

Democrats gained 9 seats:

in Arizona, Lewis Douglas managed to unseat Senator Barry Goldwater

in California, Senator William Knowland was felled by Democratic nominee Sam Yorty

in Colorado, Democratic Congressman Frank Evans defeated Senator Eugene Millikin

in Connecticut, Ella Grasso defeated Congressman Abraham Ribicoff in the primary and Senator Ellsworth Foote in the general 

in the open seat in Hawaii, Hiram Fong and Spark Matsunaga faced off to become the first Class III Senator for the new state, but the toxicity of the GOP delaying statehood ensured that Democratic nominee Matsunaga's win

in Iowa, the retirement of Senator George A Wilson led to a messy Republican primary that damaged the ultimate nominee, Ben F Jensen enough that Democratic nominee Harold Hughes, who faced a cleared field, flipped the seat

in Illinois, former Senator Scott W Lucas made his triumphant return by defeating the incumbent William Levi Dawson

in Maryland, Senator John Marshall Butler lost to Democratic Congressman Edward Garmatz

in Wisconsin, Senator Alexander Wiley lost to Democrat Patrick Lucey

Other notable results include

in Florida, Senator Claude Pepper, widely viewed as a vulnerable incumbent, faced no general election opponent after the Republican nominee was disqualified for being ineligible

in Georgia, Senator Walter F George felt his age had become reason for him to retire from the Senate and open the door for a new generation of leaders, only for the primary and subsequent general election to be won by the 74 year old Edward E Cox

in Idaho, Senator C A Bottolfsen faced multiple primary challenges from the right and was defeated by Henry Dworshak

in Oregon, husband and wife Richard Neuberger and Maurine Brown Neuberger faced off in the Democratic primary, and Senator Wayne Morse faced a surprisingly strong challenge from Mr. Neuberger, and only narrowly won reelection. 

in South Dakota, Governor Ralph Herseth, term limited out of the governor's mansion, tried and failed to unseat incumbent Senator John Gurney

in Washington, Congressman Thor Tollefson challenged Senator Warren Magnuson and the Senator only barely survived, likely on Bankhead's coattails. 

All in all, surprisingly strong showing for the Democratic Party, with a net gain of 7 seats despite President Taft's reelection victory at the top of the ballot.

• Based 1

4 hours ago, ebrk85 said:

It is a legitimate question. Civil Rights can't fire until Brown vs Board of Education. But we don't need that case because we ended segregation. But it we don't ever fire the Civil Rights Movement then there is a ton of other events down the line that can't ever get triggered. Slippery slope.

For this test I have just decided to roll for the Civil Rights Movement each phase we just haven't triggered it yet. Basically since segregation ended by legis and we don't need the court to intervene with Brown I considered that part triggered to allow to roll for CR Movement. If that makes sense.

This is good feedback for the feedback thread, for V's consideration.

• Based 1

1 hour ago, ebrk85 said:

I usually put things like that in the "election bonuses/penalties" column on a faction sheet, which should then be automatically pulled into the election sheet.

12 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

Class III Senators heading into the 1956 cycle: 

Class III Senate results in 1956:

Republicans flipped two seats:

in Alaska, Republican Ted Stevens unseated Senator Ralph Rivers

in Kansas, Senator John M Houston lost to Garner Shriver

Democrats gained 9 seats:

in Arizona, Lewis Douglas managed to unseat Senator Barry Goldwater

in California, Senator William Knowland was felled by Democratic nominee Sam Yorty

in Colorado, Democratic Congressman Frank Evans defeated Senator Eugene Millikin

in Connecticut, Ella Grasso defeated Congressman Abraham Ribicoff in the primary and Senator Ellsworth Foote in the general 

in the open seat in Hawaii, Hiram Fong and Spark Matsunaga faced off to become the first Class III Senator for the new state, but the toxicity of the GOP delaying statehood ensured that Democratic nominee Matsunaga's win

in Iowa, the retirement of Senator George A Wilson led to a messy Republican primary that damaged the ultimate nominee, Ben F Jensen enough that Democratic nominee Harold Hughes, who faced a cleared field, flipped the seat

in Illinois, former Senator Scott W Lucas made his triumphant return by defeating the incumbent William Levi Dawson

in Maryland, Senator John Marshall Butler lost to Democratic Congressman Edward Garmatz

in Wisconsin, Senator Alexander Wiley lost to Democrat Patrick Lucey

Other notable results include

in Florida, Senator Claude Pepper, widely viewed as a vulnerable incumbent, faced no general election opponent after the Republican nominee was disqualified for being ineligible

in Georgia, Senator Walter F George felt his age had become reason for him to retire from the Senate and open the door for a new generation of leaders, only for the primary and subsequent general election to be won by the 74 year old Edward E Cox

in Idaho, Senator C A Bottolfsen faced multiple primary challenges from the right and was defeated by Henry Dworshak

in Oregon, husband and wife Richard Neuberger and Maurine Brown Neuberger faced off in the Democratic primary, and Senator Wayne Morse faced a surprisingly strong challenge from Mr. Neuberger, and only narrowly won reelection. 

in South Dakota, Governor Ralph Herseth, term limited out of the governor's mansion, tried and failed to unseat incumbent Senator John Gurney

in Washington, Congressman Thor Tollefson challenged Senator Warren Magnuson and the Senator only barely survived, likely on Bankhead's coattails. 

All in all, surprisingly strong showing for the Democratic Party, with a net gain of 7 seats despite President Taft's reelection victory at the top of the ballot.

Unlike my father William Howard Taft I dont have a large coat thus small or non existent coattails...President Taft 

36 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Thanks appreciate it

Actually, I'm sleep deprived and gonna hold off on this so I don't f anything up.

I'm pretty sure none of the Senate races are pulling bonuses/penalties (any class, primary or general), but the Governor races are good. I can take another look when I'm more rested, but for now I've only edited the formula for Moore.

Just now, jnewt said:

Actually, I'm sleep deprived and gonna hold off on this so I don't f anything up.

I'm pretty sure none of the Senate races are pulling bonuses/penalties (any class, primary or general), but the Governor races are good. I can take another look when I'm more rested, but for now I've only edited the formula for Moore.

When I've run games, I don't have election bonuses automatically calculated.  I'm open to ideas on how to do that, but I didn't have any.

So it would automatically show up in the election bonuses column, but if it was for example a +1 in that election, I'd just manually toss the +1 into the "Outcome of elections/bonuses check" column, which then is automatically calculated into the final fally.

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

When I've run games, I don't have election bonuses automatically calculated.  I'm open to ideas on how to do that, but I didn't have any.

So it would automatically show up in the election bonuses column, but if it was for example a +1 in that election, I'd just manually toss the +1 into the "Outcome of elections/bonuses check" column, which then is automatically calculated into the final fally.

Yea that's how I have been doing it. But it was only showing up in the general so I missed giving him the bonus in the primary.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Exactly, except nothing is showing up in the election bonuses column, so there's nothing to add to the "Outcome of elections/bonuses check" column.