The Political Lounge

Who are the strongest challengers for the 2022 midterms?

vcczar

Of the following, who is the strongest challenger? Who is the most interesting challenger? Who is most likely to score an upset?

US Senate challengers

• Kelly Tschibaka (R) for AK
  • Val Demings (D) for FL 
  • Herschel Walker (R) for GA (likely candidate)
  • Charles Booker (D) for KY
  • Don Bolduc (R) for NH
  • Cheri Beasley (D) for NC
  • Tim Ryan (D) for OH
  • John Fetterman (D) for PA
  • Mandela Barnes (D) for WI

Governor challengers

• Charlie Crist (D) for FL
  • Jeff Colyer (R) for KS
  • Paul LePage (R) for ME
  • Tom Perez (D) for MD
  • Andrew Giuliani (R) for NY
  • Joe Cunningham (D) for SC
  • Stacey Abrams (D) for GA (likely candidate)
  • Matthew McConaughey (D) for TX (most frequently polled Democratic potential candidate)

Very interesting group. I'd add US Reps too but that's a lot harder to predict the nominees and there's a lot of them. 

I don't find most of the Senate challengers particular interesting, but I'd say Cheri Beasley is my favorite to watch at least - although I am in McCrory's camp for sure. In the age of Trump I'd say Tschibaka is the strongest challenger but I don't find her intriguing. Murkowski's not my favorite as well, so it's not a really good race at all. If they had at least brought back Joe Miller... In New Hampshire it needs Chris Sununu to get me excited. For GA I think Herschel Walker is likeable, but I am not sure about his chances. I'd hope for Harold Melton or Kelly Loeffler to run instead.

For the mentioned governor races I am only somewhat excited about Colyer's campaign. I also view him as the strongest challenger. LePage is probably okay, but Giuliani is meh. Even Zeldin is more interesting. I'd say Rick Lazio, George Pataki or Elise Stefanik would be good candidates in NY. For the Democrats McConaughey and maybe Tom Perez will be interesting to watch on the campaign trail.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Of the following, who is the strongest challenger? Who is the most interesting challenger? Who is most likely to score an upset?

US Senate challengers

• Val Demings (D) for FL 
  • Don Bolduc (R) for NH
  • Tim Ryan (D) for OH

Governor challengers

• Jeff Colyer (R) for KS
  • Paul LePage (R) for ME
  • Tom Perez (D) for MD
  • Matthew McConaughey (D) for TX (most frequently polled Democratic potential candidate)

Very interesting group. I'd add US Reps too but that's a lot harder to predict the nominees and there's a lot of them. 

Kelly Tschibaka has the support of the de facto party leader as well as the state Republican Party. Right now, she is the strongest.

Jim Renacci (Ohio) is the strongest for governor 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:
  •  

Joe Cunningham is a Democrat I actually really like. And I wish him the best. However, I'm still on the fence of who to vote for in the Governor election. I once disliked McMaster, and was wanting Joe to run forever. But in all fairness, I've seen some good stuff out of the McMaster Administration. Asides from the usual, social conservative political plays down here... roads are getting fixed (something that didn't even happen under Nikki Haley lol.) and he's spent our money pretty wisely, and given relief where it's been needed... y'all outsiders to the state may not like him which is understandable. But imho, he's the only Governor I've seen that's gotten us some results. 

Regardless, I'm fine with Cunningham or McMaster winning. Who I vote for also depends on if I end up working for the McMaster campaign when 2022 hits... so who knows. 😛 

• Thanks 1

Strongest and most interesting candidate for the senate is definitely Fetterman.  I think there’s something there for everyone to like — broad appeal.

governor...Stacey abrams might be the strongest, but you can’t claim that McConaughey wouldn’t be interesting.

I don’t think he’d win, and he might even be a disaster — but he would absolutely be interesting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

US Senate challengers

• Val Demings (D) for FL 
  • Don Bolduc (R) for NH
  • Tim Ryan (D) for OH

Governor challengers

• Jeff Colyer (R) for KS
  • Paul LePage (R) for ME
  • Tom Perez (D) for MD

Charlie Crist might be interesting.