The Political Lounge

US Refugees by the #s

vcczar

We may be taking in as many as 150k Afghan refugees. I wish we could take more to save them from life under the Taliban. 

If 150k, it will surpass the 125k from Myanmar and the 109k from Iraq. (both combine for about 40% of all current refugees of the last 10 years) We've houses over 600k refugees since 2010, which means we will up this to about 750k. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

We may be taking in as many as 150k Afghan refugees. I wish we could take more to save them from life under the Taliban. 

If 150k, it will surpass the 125k from Myanmar and the 109k from Iraq. (both combine for about 40% of all current refugees of the last 10 years) We've houses over 600k refugees since 2010, which means we will up this to about 750k. 

If only we could just "Skyhook" them out of there. Damn it CIA, get back on those old operations! 😛 

Just now, Patine said:

(significantly more proportional to population than the U.S.)

I don't know if you're implying any point by this but that's obvious given Canada's extremely small population. 😛 

I know we may be full of hillbillies here but we do indeed take in a lot of good people... 😛 

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

No, it's not obvious, because I didn't give a number. 🙄

Let's go back to elementary math class to cure your snark. Now, @vcczar said 150 000 refugees were likely to be accepted into the U.S. The U.S. has roughly 10 times the population of Canada. Since I gave no number of refugees likely to be accepted into Canada, if less than 15 000 were accepted (which, like all other counted numbers, was neither confirmed nor denied), it would be less, proportionate to population, than the U.S. So, without a stated counted number to work from first, it cannot be assumed that the numbers of refugees likely being accepted into Canada would be significantly more proportional to population than the U.S. would be OBVIOUS JUST BECAUSE of Canada's population alone, unless other information on the number of said refugees was given to you (such as me telling you). There'll be a test on this...

Lighten up a bit, I'm just messing with you. 

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I am calm. If I wasn't, sending you back to math class wouldn't have been the content of my response. 😉

Believe me, if I wasn't calm I wouldn't have said lighten up as well... I'd be singing one of your favorite songs. 😉 

Edited by Pringles

2 hours ago, Patine said:

I have no idea why. As I've said, I am not a flamboyant Caribbean-German entertainer bragging about my promiscuity and a looking for a case of crabs... 😛

Let it be known that chlamydia is better than crabs. Lou has told me himself 

• Based 1

I completely failed Patine's math class as I couldn't follow what he was saying at all, but for the sake of giving a number, NY Times says Canada is taking in 20,000 refugees.

US Population: 382,200,000 (2019 pre-COVID numbers)
Afghan refugees: 150,000
Proportional percentage of Afghan refugees to US population: 0.039246467%

Canada population: 37,590,000 (2019 pre-COVID numbers)
Afghan refugees: 20,000
Proportional percentage of Afghan refugees to Canadian population: 0.053205639%

So...Canada is bringing in more refugees if we're judging it based on proportional percentages of population (though whether they're bringing in "significantly" more depends on whether you perceive 0.05 to be significantly more than 0.04.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I completely failed Patine's math class as I couldn't follow what he was saying at all, but for the sake of giving a number, NY Times says Canada is taking in 20,000 refugees.

US Population: 382,200,000 (2019 pre-COVID numbers)
Afghan refugees: 150,000
Proportional percentage of Afghan refugees to US population: 0.039246467%

Canada population: 37,590,000 (2019 pre-COVID numbers)
Afghan refugees: 20,000
Proportional percentage of Afghan refugees to Canadian population: 0.053205639%

So...Canada is bringing in more refugees if we're judging it based on proportional percentages of population (though whether they're bringing in "significantly" more depends on whether you perceive 0.05 to be significantly more than 0.04.)

Oh... so I was low key right....

Well at least the US and Canada are taking in many refugees...

Edited by Timur