The Political Lounge

Ohio Senate Race Poll

Sean F Kennedy

OH Senate  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you support in this potential race?

• Tim Ryan (D)
    • Josh Mandel (R)
    • John Kasich (I)

31 minutes ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

If the Ohio Senate race became a 3 way race between Tim Ryan, Josh Mandel and John Kasich who do you think would win?

Abortion is one of the biggest issues for me in any election, so I’d primarily vote for a candidate who is pro-life over a pro-choice candidate.

Tim Ryan’s pivot on abortion is pretty disappointing to me, and strikes me as politically motivated rather than a genuine change of heart. Maybe he’s earnest, either way I can’t see myself supporting him now. Mandel is extreme on social issues, so I’m very hesitant about voting for him even if he’s pro-life. Meanwhile, Kasich is strongly pro-life and moderate on many other social issues. That, and bloodying Trump’s nose make voting for him a very attractive choice.

• Based 2

I’d probably swing between Ryan, or Kasich, depending on who was ahead of Josh Mandel in the polls leading up to Election Day.

1 hour ago, Zenobiyl said:

Abortion is one of the biggest issues for me in any election, so I’d primarily vote for a candidate who is pro-life over a pro-choice candidate.

Tim Ryan’s pivot on abortion is pretty disappointing to me, and strikes me as politically motivated rather than a genuine change of heart. Maybe he’s earnest, either way I can’t see myself supporting him now. Mandel is extreme on social issues, so I’m very hesitant about voting for him even if he’s pro-life. Meanwhile, Kasich is strongly pro-life and moderate on many other social issues. That, and bloodying Trump’s nose make voting for him a very attractive choice.

Kasich vetoed the Heartbeat Bill. Not exactly something someone who is strongly pro-life would do.

23 minutes ago, Patine said:

I must admit to being incredibly curious, @WVProgressive. How can you state a disagreement with with pointing out a term such as, "Pro-Life," being highly flawed and disingenuous when so many of it's adherents support - often fervently - some combination of the policies I listed? How is this sensible, and defensible, to you? This is a serious question, not a rhetorical one of attack, by the way.

Well I believe that Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice is a perfectly acceptable dichotomy for discussing one's position on abortion. I'd say it accurately describes what is more important to each side, when it come to abortion. The Pro-Life side cares more about ensuring that the fetus's right to life is protected, while the Pro-Choice side cares more about protecting the bodily autonomy of the would be mother.

I think trying to tie being pro-life to being anti-welfare is a bit unfair, even if American pro-lifers are usually also anti-welfare. That's because it discounts the great many millions of people who support protecting a fetus's right to life, and who also support government programs to help ensure babies born into poor, and destitute families are taken care of. It also allows the other side to be distorted as 'Pro-Abortion', and I think that's equally unfair, since, outside out a few anti-natalists, and extremist feminists, nobody thinks abortion is some morally great thing, and everyone agrees that unwanted pregnancies should be reduced to absolute minimum.

• Thanks 1
  • Based 1

47 minutes ago, Patine said:

Of course @Dobs disagrees with my comment on two of the several main sources of gun violence in the U.S. - one of the highest for a nation not in a state of anarchy or civil war. It wasn't that long ago he stated the Second Amendment was granted directly by Providence of God, Himself, and beyond the power of Government to take away. I'm also wondering if denial of the warped cultural obsession with gun violence in all the worst ways in American media and culture was part of his disagreement or not.

Actually you completely missed the mark on why I hit you with the disagree emote. I took exception to this line "You need to make responses that transcend canned lobby group catchphrase rhetoric distributed in packaged form for free and encouraged public usage."

You are in no position to prevail upon Rezi what kind of responses he "needs" to make to anyone. It was rather presumptuous to assume that that was the origin of his response anyway, I'm sure Rezi is perfectly smart enough to come up with his own opinions and not simply buy them in bulk from interest group wholesalers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Patine said:

Free access to guns in a culture that has built a sick, twisted fetish around gun violence does lead to a very notable uptick in death rate..

Just because I believe in the Right to bear arms does not mean I like the fetishization of weaponry and the culture surrounding it, similarly to how I believe in the right to smoke marijuana but have a disdain for the culture surrounding it. It brings me no pleasure to see people treat guns like toys and props (see Lauren Boebert’s Christmas Card as an example). This, however, is problem that must dealt with not by restricting access to firearms but by educating the populace on how to properly use and treat them.

15 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Kasich vetoed the Heartbeat Bill. Not exactly something someone who is strongly pro-life would do.

"The central provision of (the bill), that an abortion cannot be performed if a heartbeat has been detected in the unborn child, is contrary to the Supreme Court of the United States’ current rulings on abortion," Kasich said in a veto message accompanying the bill.

It seems to me he took issue with the constitutionality of the bill (under Roe V. Wade & Planned Parenthood V. Casey at least), not the bill itself.

49 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

"The central provision of (the bill), that an abortion cannot be performed if a heartbeat has been detected in the unborn child, is contrary to the Supreme Court of the United States’ current rulings on abortion," Kasich said in a veto message accompanying the bill.

It seems to me he took issue with the constitutionality of the bill (under Roe V. Wade & Planned Parenthood V. Casey at least), not the bill itself.

That’s a weak cop out. The only way precedent can be overturned is if legislation is passed, challenged, and ruled on by the Supreme Court. If one claims to be pro-life but refuses to challenge Roe, then they aren’t actually pro-life (because challenging Roe is an essential part of the pro-life cause).

Edited by jvikings1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

That’s a weak cop out. The only way precedent can be overturned is if legislation is passed, challenged, and ruled on the the Supreme Court. If one claims to be pro-life but refuses to challenge Roe, then they aren’t actually pro-life (because challenging Roe is an essential part of the pro-life cause).

Considering this was in 2016, before many of the new pro-life members on the court were brought in, I can see the rationale for Kasich’s decision.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

It must be great having an adversarial political system where the spoils are a theoretical lack of legal stability, a state constant challenge back and forth on every meaningful precept, and an utter lack of ability for common people to live their lives actual reliably knowing and counting on what the basic laws are going to be because polemics are considered of higher priority to viability. What a glorious and laudable political system! 😲

The adversarial system is a basic precept of American law and foundational bedrock of common law, yes.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

On 1/5/2022 at 6:35 PM, Patine said:

Let's be honest. You - and the vast majority of all others who use the disingenuous, "Pro-Life," label - actually narrowly mean, "Anti-Abortion," and, "Anti-Euthanasia." The great majority of people who CALL themselves, "Pro-Life," support some combination of deliberate or knowlingly negligenct death through gun rights, capital punishment, police impunity, military interventionism - including drone attacks, funding regimes and insurgent militias with hard military agendas and/or atrocious human rights records, and the usage of State-funded terrorist groups like the CIA, MI6, the Mossad, etc. - the possession - and continued existence - of nuclear weapons, corporate policies that cause fatalities due to shoddy consumer and environmental protections, death resulting from homelessness and poverty caused by underregulated capitalism and cutting social security nets, death in wretched prison and outsourced sweatshop conditions, and much more. In fact, such people often use being Anti-Abortion and Anti-Euthanasia as a form of, "public virtue laundering," to publicly make a show of, "wiping the blood from their hands," or at least in disingenuous appearance. The political party in the whole world that comes closest to truly living up to being, "Pro-Life," is the Economic Democratic Union (OGP) in Germany, which is a socially conservative, pacifistic, environmental, social welfare-supporting, judicial reformist party.

Consistent life ethic - Wikipedia 

4 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

I guess Hilary Clinton believes in the Consistent death ethic - pro-choice, pro-death penalty, pro-war. :P

Edited by Timur
  • Haha 1