The Political Lounge

State of the Union Poll

vcczar

State of the Union Poll   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching the 9pm EST State of the Union Address?

• Yes
    • No, but I will watch it later.
    • No, but I'll watch highlights.
    • No, and I won't go out of my way to watch it
  2. 2. Do you expect the speech to help Joe Biden at all politically?

3. 3. Do you expect the speech to be significant in any way in regards to domestic issues, COVID, or the Ukraine Situation?

4. 4. How aggressive do you expect Biden to be?

• Biden will come out attacking Trump and the GOP
    • Biden will try to play harmonious but will at least attack Trump, although he might not mention him by name.
    • Biden will play up being harmonious and make no real attacks on the opposition.
  5. 5. How long will Biden's speech be?

• Shortest SOTU ever, shorter than Nixon's 29 minute speech. (Nixon also averaged the shortest speeches)
    • Average SOTU speech -- about an hour.
    • Longest SOTU ever, longer than Bill Clinton's 1 hour and 28 minute speech. (Trump averaged the longest speeches, but a lot of that was time wasted straining to read the teleprompter and then clapping at his own words like Mussolini).

1 minute ago, DakotaHale said:

As an Ohioan I prefer the “rust belt” over whatever the fuck he tried to say lmao

As someone also from the rust belt, based.

• Based 1

Just now, DakotaHale said:

Very interesting seeing Biden endorsing the COVID treatment pills. One of the things I liked about Trumps covid response was his insight into treatments and shit whereas the Dems seemed deadlocked into masks + vaccines alone. 

Treatments that didn't work 😛 the pill does though. I know my mom, who works in a hospital, keeps getting people asking about remdesivir when there's been studies that it doesn't work. 

Biden calling himself a capitalist, disavowing defunding the police, and saying we should secure the border won’t go well with the Warren/AOC/Sanders crowd.

Also lol @ the pan over to Amy Coney Barrett when talking about women’s rights and LGBT people

Biden calling himself a capitalist, disavowing defunding the police, and saying we should secure the border won’t go well with the Warren/AOC/Sanders crowd.

Warren called herself a capitalist and I don't believe ever supported defunding the police. I may be wrong on that one. I don't think tossing her in with the rest is always a good idea lol

Also lol @ the pan over to Amy Coney Barrett when talking about women’s rights and LGBT people

Also saw that 💀 I'm sure it was on accident but who knows

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Pretty good speech overall. Who did he mean when he said “go get him!” To end the speech? Putin?

Putin probably. 

I was surprised Trump was never mentioned or even alluded to. Probably a good move. 

I'd give the speech a B to B+. It would have been A-range if he could avoid saying things like Anericans and Ecomony. 

By comparison, I don't think Trump gave a SOTU speech higher than D+. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, vcczar said:

Putin probably. 

I was surprised Trump was never mentioned or even alluded to. Probably a good move. 

I'd give the speech a B to B+. It would have been A-range if he could avoid saying things like Anericans and Ecomony. 

By comparison, I don't think Trump gave a SOTU speech higher than D+. 

Trumps first SOTU (the one that technically wasn’t a SOTU but kind of was) was very good IMO. Even Van Jones on CNN liked it. 

He did mention “the previous administration” when talking about job growth but never Trump directly.