The Political Lounge

Drums of War: An All-CPU Playtest of the Civil War

Democratic Party Leader Election

After the exodus of many leading Democrats after the secession of the South, the remaining leadership meets to pick up the pieces.

• Farmer Democrats: Former Vice President John Tyler
  • Conservative Democrats: Rep Lawrence Trimble
  • Popular Sovereignty Democrats: Fmr AG Reverdy Johnson
  • Imperialists: Sam Houston

Ballot 1 (need 50%+1)

• Tyler: 2+3=5
  • Trimble: 4+3=7
  • Johnson: 2+11=13
  • Houston: 5+6=11

No one wins the requisite amount, so we take the lowest two. John Tyler endorses Johnson (closest ideology) and Trimble endorses Houston (lowest score).

Ballot 2 (need 50%+1)

• Johnson: 1+4+11=16
  • Houston: 6+5+6=17

Sam Houston barely inches past Reverdy Johnson to be elected Party Leader.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

Cabinet and Military Replacements

Pres Granger must replace the Sec of War, Sr Gen, and two Gens.

Granger selects NY Gov Hamilton Fish (5 Admin) as Sec of War. Fish accepts the nomination.

• Approved by committee 10-3.
  • Confirmed 42-7-1.
  • Benjamin F Tracy becomes Gov of NY.

For the Sr General position, Granger promotes Gen James W Nye (5 Mil). He is automatically approved by Congress.

To fill the now empty Gen position, Granger selects Thomas T Crittenden (5 Mil but Controversial).

• Approved by committee 7-6.
  • Not confirmed 8-41-1.
  • Party Pref -1 Red.
  • Pres Pro Temp Clark and Granger select William T Sherman off the Admin Track.
    • Sherman gains Admin +1, Legis +1, Energy.

To fill the two Admiral positions, Granger selects Benjamin F Butler (5 Mil but Controversial) and Edward D Baker (4 Mil and Integrity). Baker is automatically approved. 

• Not confirmed 8-41-1.
  • Party Pref -1 Red.
  • Pres Pro Temp Clark and Granger select John C Fremont.

I'm thinking failed nominee punishments to the party are too harsh. Maybe lowering the chance to trigger backlash would be better. Also, sorry, @matthewyoung123 didn't ask you to vote because things were so lopsided or already decided. 

Edited by Ich_bin_Tyler
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

I'm thinking failed nominee punishments to the party are too harsh. Maybe lowering the chance to trigger backlash would be better.

Having just gone through 16 failed nominations myself I would tend to agree. Although if the President and the Senate are from different parties its an equal chance that either side gets blamed.  If both are from the same party its a big chance but then that is prob the point.

8 hours ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

Granger selects NY Gov Hamilton Fish (5 Admin) as Sec of War. Fish accepts the nomination.

• Confirmed 42-7-1.

For the Sr General position, Granger promotes Gen James W Nye (5 Mil). He is automatically approved by Congress.

To fill the now empty Gen position, Granger selects Thomas T Crittenden (5 Mil but Controversial).

• Not confirmed 8-41-1.
  • Party Pref -1 Red.

To fill the two Admiral positions, Granger selects Benjamin F Butler (5 Mil but Controversial) and Edward D Baker (4 Mil and Integrity). Baker is automatically approved. 

• Not confirmed 8-41-1.
  • Party Pref -1 Red.

I'm thinking failed nominee punishments to the party are too harsh. Maybe lowering the chance to trigger backlash would be better. Also, sorry, @matthewyoung123 didn't ask you to vote because things were so lopsided or already decided. 

I'm kind of surprised I have anyone left to vote! 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

• Confirmed 42-7-1.

• Not confirmed 8-41-1.
  • Party Pref -1 Red.

• Not confirmed 8-41-1.
  • Party Pref -1 Red.

I'm kind of surprised I have anyone left to vote! 

11 hours ago, ebrk85 said:

Having just gone through 16 failed nominations myself I would tend to agree. Although if the President and the Senate are from different parties its an equal chance that either side gets blamed.  If both are from the same party its a big chance but then that is prob the point.

It can be pretty brutal because if you're playing with humans they could just tank everything to maximize the party pref which can be really gamey. If it were me, I would probably just remove that penalty or make it only likely to happen with certain traits or like 5 admin pols.

• Agree 1

Lingering Phase

Revenue/Budget +1 (Sec Pollock)

• Cannot increase further due to no taxes

Economic Stability +1 (Historical Era)

• Now Solid but no other effects

Military Prep +1 (Lingering), +1 (Sec Fish)

• Now Very Prepared (100% chance +15 in battles)

Domestic Stability +1 (due to 32/33 to increase after being maxed for 4 years), -1 (Historical Era)

• No change

Honest Government 0

• No change

Party Pref +1 Red (PM Gen Robbins)

• Now Blue +1
  • Based 1

Gov Actions

@matthewyoung123 @OrangeP47 and a returning @Willthescout7 please select the actions for the Govs that remained behind.

Convention Delegates

Democrats

• Gov Austin Augustus King of MO (Cons Dems) will select the delegates. The convention will, again, be held in St. Louis. @OrangeP47

Whigs

• Gov Elisha Dyer of RI (Lib Whigs) will select the delegates. The convention will be held in Providence, RI. @Willthescout7

29 minutes ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

Gov Actions

@matthewyoung123 @OrangeP47 and a returning @Willthescout7 please select the actions for the Govs that remained behind.

Convention Delegates

Democrats

• Gov Austin Augustus King of MO (Cons Dems) will select the delegates. The convention will, again, be held in St. Louis. @OrangeP47

Whigs

• Gov Elisha Dyer of RI (Lib Whigs) will select the delegates. The convention will be held in Providence, RI. @Willthescout7

Copperhead Democrats Gov actions-

Wilson Shannon (3 Gov) KS- Require that Appointees for Sudden US Sen vacancies be of the party of the previous US Senator

John W Hall (1 Gov) DE- No term limits

William Irwin (3 Gov) LC- 4 year terms

St. Louis Democratic Convention of 1864 State Delegations (I'm assuming the CSA is not invited)*

Cat 1:  UC, IN, MI, NY, RI

Cat 2: LC, KS, MN, OH, VT

Cat 3: IA, MA, NE, OR, WI

Cat 4:  MO, CT, DE, KY, MD

Cat 5: IL, ME, NH, NJ, PA

*We've had a similar conversation before where we can imply precedent, where a state was admitted between the convention being decided and the convention actually happening. It was decided that state got 0 delegates, even though they did have EV.

Edited by OrangeP47
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Copperhead Democrats Gov actions-

Wilson Shannon (3 Gov) KS- Require that Appointees for Sudden US Sen vacancies be of the party of the previous US Senator Success 35/60

John W Hall (1 Gov) DE- No term limits Fail 36/20

William Irwin (3 Gov) LC- 4 year terms Fail 96/60

Results in bold. Please note the change on the Gov States Tab.

• Like 1

Only rolled for successful Gov actions

Indiana Gov David Wallace calls on Congress to pass a bill that increases defense spending.

Kentucky Gov John B Thompson attempts to build a state university.

Michigan Gov Josiah Begole will make an emphasis on public education.

New Hampshire Gov William Haile calls on Congress to pass a bill promising Federal Aid for the Welfare of the Indigent Insane.

New Jersey William Pennington will fill state offices with loyalists.

Oregon Gov AC Gibbs will attempt to build a state university.

Wisconsin Gov Charles Durkee will neglect Agriculture in order to focus on Manufacturing

Edited by Willthescout7
  • Like 3

Just now, Willthescout7 said:

Indiana Gov David Wallace calls on Congress to pass a bill that increases defense spending.

Kentucky Gov John B Thompson attempts to build a state university.

Michigan Gov Josiah Begole will make an emphasis on public education.

New Hampshire Gov William Haile calls on Congress to pass a bill promising Federal Aid for the Welfare of the Indigent Insane.

New Jersey William Pennington will fill state offices with loyalists.

Oregon Gov AC Gibbs will attempt to build a state university.

Wisconsin Gov Charles Durkee will neglect Agriculture in order to focus on Manufacturing

Welcome back, @Willthescout7

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willthescout7 said:

Only rolled for successful Gov actions

Kentucky Gov John B Thompson attempts to build a state university. 78/5, no Quality of Life impact

Michigan Gov Josiah Begole will make an emphasis on public education. 89/5, no Quality of Life impact. Please indicate this is active.

New Jersey William Pennington will fill state offices with loyalists. The next Gov of the state will have 10% chance more difficulty in passing gov actions, if of another ideology. Please indicate this is active.

Oregon Gov AC Gibbs will attempt to build a state university. 12/5, no Quality of Life impact

Wisconsin Gov Charles Durkee will neglect Agriculture in order to focus on Manufacturing @OrangeP47 Please update the census and industry sheet to reflect this.

Results in bold. I've noted where I need you to update something on the sheet.

We can do the Supreme Court now because they won't impact the convention.

Long-term ideology drift

• Caleb Cushing does not shift and remains Cons
  • Joseph P Bradley shits to the left from Mod to Lib

The Court will hear one case

• O'Reilly v Morse
    • Is an abstract idea patent-eligible?

Initial votes

• Salmon P Chase- Nay
  • John McLean- Aye
  • Jacob Collamer- Nay
  • Caleb Cushing- Nay
  • Joseph P Bradley- Nay
  • Benjamin Thomas- Nay
  • George Vail- Nay

No conversions can occur, so the initial vote stands. The Court decides 1 Aye to 6 Nay.

Edited by Ich_bin_Tyler
  • Like 1