The Political Lounge

A More Perfect Administration - Gauging Interest/Sign Ups

OrangeP47

Hmmm. I'd like to do something with the potential to be pretty influential later on. Could I perhaps be an AltHist Secretary of State or Postmaster General that is trying to get power/influence to run in 1792/96?

• Like 2

This sounds very interesting! 

I'd like to play but I don't want to be President. I'd actually like to be either a Senator or in the cabinet.

My player- Henry Allison, 39, former Virginia Colonel in the Revolutionary War, and former member of the Virginia House of Burgesses.  Graduate of the College of William & Mary and attorney.  He owns property in 3 different Virginia counties. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cal said:

Hmmm. I'd like to do something with the potential to be pretty influential later on. Could I perhaps be an AltHist Secretary of State or Postmaster General that is trying to get power/influence to run in 1792/96?

Everyone's a fictional character.  I guess maybe it got lost in my rambling, but sure.  You want me to pencil you in as Sec State?  The bare minimum for a character to be "viable" is a name, home state, and position.  If you'd prefer Post Gen we can go with that.

1 minute ago, matthewyoung123 said:

This sounds very interesting! 

I'd like to play but I don't want to be President. I'd actually like to be either a Senator or in the cabinet.

My player- Henry Allison, 39, former Virginia Colonel in the Revolutionary War, and former member of the Virginia House of Burgesses.  Graduate of the College of William & Mary and attorney.  He owns property in 3 different Virginia counties. 

Yeah, being President can be a tough job, I can understand people shying away.  Some key positions will be filled with NPCs, though that said I do prefer if *the president* is a human haha.  Unless you guys are like collectively planning on sabotaging this universe's version of Washington.

Anyone wanting a Cabinet spot should probably stake a claim fast though since it's so small in this era, but that said Senate is a good choice as well.

Oh, and probably something I should edit in to the main post:  If something happens to your character you can always just get a new one, etc, or maybe at some points be playing two chars.  I'm not going to give anybody two chars right now, but my point is "we're flexible when it comes to making work what we need to".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Everyone's a fictional character.  I guess maybe it got lost in my rambling, but sure.  You want me to pencil you in as Sec State?  The bare minimum for a character to be "viable" is a name, home state, and position.  If you'd prefer Post Gen we can go with that.

Hmmm. I’ll go with an early dibs on the Department of War if that’s okay. My character will be the fictional head with details to come later tonight in that case. I’m definitely excited to give this a go — it’s always fun when these RPs have the potential to develop into backroom shenanigans so having us as potential agency heads could be really unique. 

1 minute ago, Cal said:

Hmmm. I’ll go with an early dibs on the Department of War if that’s okay. My character will be the fictional head with details to come later tonight in that case. I’m definitely excited to give this a go — it’s always fun when these RPs have the potential to develop into backroom shenanigans so having us as potential agency heads could be really unique. 

Yeah, no Rush.  If we get enough interest I'll get the ball rolling on the actual game this weekend.  I took PTO Monday/Tuesday next week for some doctors appointments and realized I'm gonna have more time than usual so if I want to get something set up now's the time.  (I also have Friday of next week off for the same reason)

1 minute ago, matthewyoung123 said:

I'll take Sec of State or Pro Tempore of the Senate whatever you need.

I mean it's less about what I need and more about what you want (other than I do hope we get someone to be Pres, but it's not 100% vital).  If you want my opinion, though, my vote would be for PPT just so we know we have a good player in the Senate.

• Agree 1

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

I mean it's less about what I need and more about what you want (other than I do hope we get someone to be Pres, but it's not 100% vital).  If you want my opinion, though, my vote would be for PPT just so we know we have a good player in the Senate.

Ok I'll lead the Senate then!

I was going to say too, ironically I should have mentioned if we were starting in any other era you'd need to mention party affiliation, but given this is 1788-89, it's actually fitting we left it off so far.  It'll be up to you all and events and stuff to dynamically form parties as we progress, so don't feel bad if the cabinet is all diametrically opposed to each other right now or something.  Ya'll can fight it out in character just like Hamilton and Jefferson (and Burr) did.

Interesting idea. I would go with Archibald Hawkins, Governor of New York, 45. 

Born as son of a wealthy Dutch fur trader, his mother an English Count's daughter, Archibald grew up on the mighty Hudson River, fond of nature with an adventurous youth. His family would dabble in politics, with his father having mighty influence in the settlement that would become Poughkeepsie, but Archibald saw beyond this. Eventually, he would be sent back to Britain to receive his education in law under the supervision of his mother's family, an experience during which he gained great distaste for royalty and poshness. 

Upon return to the nation, he would briefly become a leading lawyer in the Hudson Valley, a title which, along with his family name, would earn him the privilege of being invited to the First Continental Congress. Archibald would surprise many with his scathing distaste for the British Monarchy and support for American independence, given his mother's title. This would leave him as a leader of the New York delegation throughout this time.

Eventually, he was a supporter of the Articles of Confederation, but came to see the flaws in their words. At the Second Constitutional Convention, he fought to only amend the articles, not seeing the need to recreate the nation's government. Besides, he was a loyalist to New York above all, and could not stand to think of it being centralized as British counties were. In 1786, he would run for, and win, the governorship of New York, only ratifying the constitution after months of deals and an assurance of a bill of rights.

Now the governor of his beloved state, Archibald seeks to wield his power mightily to shape it into a nation-leading powerhouse, able to throw its weight around as Virginia does. He would prefer to keep the constitution weak, and will ensure that this happens.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

I’m going to go with Benedict L. Ward. He is a 39-year old New Jersey citizen born to a former colonial governor whose family is one of the more wealthy and influential in the state. He previously served in the state militia and Revolutionary War, before being tapped by (insert president here) to lead the Department of War. He is a staunch isolationist in European affairs and advocate for westward expansion, while taking no strong position on most economic and social issues yet. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

1 minute ago, Imperator Taco Cat said:

I'll take Benjamin Gold of Connecticut for President.

Haha, great, we have our sucker!  Ahem, I mean, as President, I'm gonna need a bit more of a bio from you.  No pressure or anything, just so I can craft some of the flavor about how we got to this point.  Like is Gold a famous war hero like Washington, or you looking to mix it up with a traditional politician or something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have edited the first post to include claimed positions, and even though you aren't "technically" independent (the concept is loosely defined right now, yall are just a bunch of government dudes) I marked you all as such because who doesn't love nice clean formatting.

This work?: 

Benjamin gold became governor of Ct in 1784 at the age of 42, as governor he oversaw a successful campaign of mass Internal improvements(public works) leading to a booming economy. He has publicly promoted moderate federalism on countless occasions. Personally he is quite a jokester, and in spite of using controversial and aggressive rhetoric he is a man of integrity. 

Edited by Imperator Taco Cat
Added age
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bushwa777 said:

Actually to be funny willing to change name to Elmer F Udd a old colorful backwoods farmer who knows a bit about banking 

Well, we do want to try to keep things *somewhat* realistic, so playing as such a character would be... difficult...  If you want a comedy character though perhaps you can work it into the RP... might get some surprising boosts or other effects.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Imperator Taco Cat said:

This work?: 

Benjamin gold became governor of Ct in 1784, oversaw a successful campaign of mass Internal improvements(public works) leading to a booming economy. He has publicly promoted moderate federalism on countless occasions. Personally he is quite a jokester, and in spite of using controversial and aggressive rhetoric he is a man of integrity. 

Yeah I can work with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading "AMPU but D&D" initially made me think of that concept being taken to the logical extreme, but it's probably a safe assumption that you don't want me to be a firebreathing dragonborn chilling in the Capitol or whatever so I'll think a little more

• Haha 1
  • Based 2