The Political Lounge

A More Perfect Administration - Gauging Interest/Sign Ups

OrangeP47

1 minute ago, Euri said:

Reading "AMPU but D&D" initially made me think of that concept being taken to the logical extreme, but it's probably a safe assumption that you don't want me to be a firebreathing dragonborn chilling in the Capitol or whatever so I'll think a little more

Yeah but you can shoot a rival if you want just don't expect to get away with it (or for it to even succeed unless you roll like 975+)

• Based 1

Just now, Imperator Taco Cat said:

Are chances increased if it's an agreed upon duel?

I mean, in that case, the duel will probably at least actually happen then.  But don't worry, I'm being a bit hyperbolic.  If anyone's actually going to try to assassinate you, they're really, really, really going to have to work for it, and failure will have consequences.  But if someone's gonna TRY, I'm not gonna stop them, as long as they realize the gravity of the situation.

• Based 1

I am submitting this Character, and Backstory for your approval @OrangeP47

Jacob Blair’s heart beats for liberty. As the main editor of The Philadelphia Gazette, Blair set ablaze the hearts and minds of the common man with his fiery pamphlets, and editorials which excoriated the abuses of British rule, and communicated a shining vision for a new society. A society founded upon the republican ideals of reason, liberty, equality, and justice. After the revolution, and eventual failure of the Articles of Confederation, Blair found himself allied with the anti-Federalists calling the constitution a betray of the republican principles of the revolution. Despite the failure of the anti-Federalist efforts, Blair has used his name recognition, and control over The Philadelphia Gazette as a springboard to capture the Pennsylvania governor's mansion.

Despite the Betrayal of 1787, Blair stands unbowed, and unyielding in his pursuit of a land purged of the dual evils of tyranny, and oppression. He shall not falter in pursuit of this cause, for it is the cause of all humanity. With a certain that dwarfs the stature of even the tallest mountains, he knows within the deepest pit of his soul that this cause must triumph over the darkness of despotism that has for too long entrapped the common man within its vise. There can be no progress without an uncompromising pursuit of liberty, and a merciless defeat of its enemies!

• Like 4

Thomas A Brennan of Massachusetts: born to a fairly prestigious merchant family and a person of Federalist tendencies, he previously served as a minister to the Dutch Republic before his ascendence to the position of Secretary of State. He was overseas in the Netherlands for most of the Revolution and was not present for the formation of early political alliances and rivalries. His mercantile background informed his guiding opinion towards foreign policy that closer ties to Europe must be established in order to build the foundation for the new nation's prosperity.

I was deciding between PA and MA but I didn't want to take someone else's state, and I already wanted to emulate the Adamses so I may as well go all the way; also I saw an isolationist Secretary and I thought I'd position myself as the opposite

Edited by Euri
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Euri said:

Thomas A Brennan of Massachusetts: born to a fairly prestigious merchant family and a person of Federalist tendencies, he previously served as a minister to the Dutch Republic. He was overseas in the Netherlands for most of the Revolution and was not present for the formation of early political alliances and rivalries. His mercantile background informed his guiding opinion towards foreign policy that closer ties to Europe must be established in order to build the foundation for the new nation's prosperity.

Secretary of state I presume? 

Good stuff.  I'll add you both to the main post when I get home from work today (limited time in the mornings).

Setup is going faster than I anticipated, so I'll probably get this started Friday evening.  People can join even once it's moving though, such is its nature.

• Like 1

Benjamin W. Bull, Representative, North Carolina (30)

Bull is the youngest son of William Bull, formerly one of the wealthiest tobacco planters in North Carolina. The collapse in soil quality has left the industry reeling and his family in great debt, but they remain a powerful force in state politics. 

Benjamin served as a Lieutenant and aide under the Marquis de Lafayette in the 1781 campaign leading up to Yorktown. He speaks fluent French and Spanish, and remains a personal friend to Lafayette. Though a son of slaveholders, Benjamin holds anti-slavery opinions, and has shared them with colleagues in the North Carolina legislature and now the House of Representatives. He argues for a progressive close to the practice, which is line with prevailing opinions of the day but rare in the South. 

• Based 1

Solomon James, Representative, Virginia, age 31

James comes from a large family, five younger siblings, and his family publishes the Virginia Gazette. His father published scathing critiques of the reforms and initiatives he opposed as well as the men who pushed for them, earning him a reputation for someone who speaks his mind and has the enemies to show for it. 

After serving in the Revolutionary War, Solomon came home with the intent to study and practice law and found instead an opportunity to run for the House of Representatives. Having seen the consequences of being too strident with one's beliefs, James sought to conduct his public career with a level of diplomacy and conciliation. Always playing his cards close to the chest, James sees more utility in making allies and pushing for incremental changes where possible. 

Ambassador to France  Caesar Montgomery (34) Virginia

Born into a family of wealthy planters his two elder brothers, George and Henry, and a nephew, Michael)  died in the revolutionary war giving the youngest brother, Caesar, full ownership of the Montgomery family’s vast and wealthy plantations in Virginia. Educated in London, fluent in Italian, French, and Dutch, Caesar spent the revolutionary war not on the battlefield nor even in America but in Europe attempting to open lines of credit with European bankers to outfit more troops and keep their current troops supplied with equipment. Not a glorious job but an important one.  When he returned home after the war ended Caesar found his lands ravaged and his finances in turmoil.  He nearly turned down the role of Ambassador to France for this reason but came to realize an important fact. Without France, we would not have won this war and without good relations with them going forward it would be much harder to rebuild and expand, both his country and himself. Therefore, he left the management of his estates to a maternal uncle and set off back to Europe in the hopes of bolstering relations with his fledgling nation’s greatest ally (and hopefully negotiating favorable terms for tobacco exports to help himself too). Politically Caesar is sympathetic to the ideals of the revolution but ideals take a backseat to practicality, pragmatism and stability.

Need anything changes let me know 

• Like 1

Alexander Clark, 45, Vice President of the United States (Maryland)

Born into a middle-class family in Baltimore, Alexander was the only child of two semi-important merchants in the trade city. His mother died when he was young, and his father was a staunch Loyalist, which led to the two drifting apart in the 1770s. Clark became a part of the Continental Army and served for a period of time in the late 1770s and early 1780s. After working his way through the army ranks to hold a position of some stature, he stepped down two years after the war's end and believed that the military was in a good enough position to make it without him. Soon, he was asked by Maryland's legislature to begin work with the Continental Congress. During the 1788 election, he was encouraged to run for President and came in second, becoming the country's first VP (currently a rather powerless office but one that could be influential). Rather hard-headed and hard-nosed, the life of politics may not exactly be suited to him... 

• Like 1

William A. Lincoln, 41, Senator (South Carolina) 

Born the eldest son of a wealthy family in South Carolina, William's upbringing was spent primarily at his family's indigo plantation in the low country, enjoying the full benefits of the upper class in his education and lifestyle, as he was groomed to inherit his father's land and status. And his father, an important patrician in colonial politics, instilled in William the importance of respecting authority, most importantly, the authority of the Crown. His family's loyalty to Britain was punished during the Revolution, as Patriots, seeking to punish an important family allied to Britain and deliver a show of force in a notably divided South Carolinian society, attacked William's father and subjected him to tarring and feathering. This experience gave William a strong distrust of the common folk and further opposition to the Revolutionary cause, however, with his father's death just one year later, William would spend the Revolution managing his family's estate rather than joining either side as a soldier. And as the dust settled and war concluded, William would maneuver himself to restore his family's political prestige, utilizing his wealth and inherited connections to gain prominence in South Carolinian affairs. Using this prominence, William was a sharp critic of the Articles of Confederation, serving as both a delegate at the Constitutional Convention and later the head of the South Carolinian charge to ratify the Constitution.

Now, having secured a Senate seat, William sees himself as the leader of true Southern interests, that is, the interests of the Southern aristocracy, opposing both rabble-rousing populists and tariff-hungry Northern elites to lead America down the proper path, a path which just so happens to increase the profitability of his plantation. 

• Like 1

I really would like to join this!

here is my character:

Thomas John Wilson is a low-class citizen that hopes to change America for the better. Born in Concord, Massachusetts, He was born from an affair with a rich noble and lived with his poor mother since then. He studied to be a lawyer from a young age, stealing books from the shops and reading whatever he could get his hands on in the library. Finally, he read pamphlets and writings by Thomas Paine and with it became radicalized with the patriot movement. So instead of becoming a lawyer, he joined the Sons of Liberty and conducted many raids and protests against the British, finally joining the Union army. When the American Republic was born, he ran to become a representative in the House. Now, he is the leader of the Federalist community in the north and actively is trying to keep the current constitution and create a healthy nationalist government. He is a central piece of the House, even obtaining the Speaker of the House through deception and strong-arming. 

Info:

Name: Thomas J. Wilson

Position: Federal Representative (MA) and Speaker of the House

Characteristic: Hotheaded, Arrogant, Skilled Debater, Charismatic, Prone to radicalized talk, Diplomatic, Sometimes emotional, and Finally patriot.

Personality:

He is a hothead but approachable when the situation is needed. He has poverty and military experience, and he also has some law but never actually became a Lawyer. He speaks in a populistic radical way and is a Federalist (even tho Thomas Paine wasn't or was, not sure), he believes that liberty and freedom in a structured government with strong federal control is the way. He also is a skilled debater, mostly from fighting with his brothers and family in general, and joined a debate/think club. He has lost his mother causing a traumatic experience causing him to be emotional or experience traumatic episodes. Finally, he is a staunch patriot, who thinks of the national government instead of his own state he was born in.

• Like 2

Edward T. Kent

Edward T. Kent was born in England in 1754 as a bastard and he came to the colonies in 1772 looking for his father.  He ended up in New York City where he got a job in a small bank.  There he learned about finance and business.  At first when the Revolution began he was a loyalist until his girlfriend was killed by British soldiers after the city was captured by the British in the fall of 1776.  He fled the city after hearing about Washington's victories at Trenton and Princeton and joined the rebel army.  He served until 1782 in many of the battles.  After being discharged, he decided to move to Georgia where he brought some land and over the last 7 years has been building up his plantation there.  

Info:

Name: Edward T. Kent

Position: Secretary of the Treasury 

Characteristic: Efficient, iron fisted, manipulative, puritan, and of course a patriot. 

• Like 2

I present to you Jean-Alexander Antoine LeBeau.

LeBeau was born to a minor French noble family in the Franche-Comte in 1747. LeBeau was a well studied young man and took a great interest in the geopolitical intrigues of the great European nations and their colonial empires. While born a member of the Second Estate of the kingdom, LeBeau always had sympathies towards the common people of his family's lands. He would often visit the manor town and make himself well known among the people and hear their concerns and issues directly. He was even known to frequent the salon of the infamous local Lady du Belfort.

During the American War of Independence, LeBeau was sent as part of the command staff to the American Colonies on behalf of the King. While in America, LeBeau developed a revolutionary fervor and fully bought into the spirit of independence from the British Crown for which the Colonies were fighting. After the war, LeBeau (now Anglicized to Leabow) decided to remain in the newly formed United States and settle down in Boston where he started up a small, but influential newspaper called the Boston Bulletin. Where will the winds take Leabow and the Boston Bulletin? How will he (or others) use his paper to influence the political discussion? Only time will tell.

• Like 3
  • Based 1

Everyone, please review the roster on the first post and make sure I have you down accurately for what you want your primary position to be (though again, a lot is freeform and you can use your backstory and other resources, etc).  Also keep in mind like I said parties haven't formed yet, so everyone is marked down as independent.

Also, and please try not to have everyone and their brother raise their hand to this, but please indicate if you would have ran in the 1788 Presidential Election.  Obviously Gold and Clark did, but some, let me emphasize SOME of the rest of you might as well.

1 minute ago, Euri said:

Unfortunately for me, I’m only good with dice when I’m the one running the game; otherwise it isn’t pretty

Also, Brennan did not run in 1788

I mean to be fair as well, a "serious failure" on "I would like to raise the tariff" might mean you just have to try again next time.  Consequences/rewards are directly proportional to whatever you're trying to do.  You won't slip on your townhouse stairs and die if you roll a 1 when you were just trying to secure a trade deal.

• Haha 3