The Political Lounge

A More Perfect Administration - Gauging Interest/Sign Ups

OrangeP47

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I mean to be fair as well, a "serious failure" on "I would like to raise the tariff" might mean you just have to try again next time.  Consequences/rewards are directly proportional to whatever you're trying to do.  You won't slip on your townhouse stairs and die if you roll a 1 when you were just trying to secure a trade deal.

Unless you're me

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

15 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I mean to be fair as well, a "serious failure" on "I would like to raise the tariff" might mean you just have to try again next time.  Consequences/rewards are directly proportional to whatever you're trying to do.  You won't slip on your townhouse stairs and die if you roll a 1 when you were just trying to secure a trade deal.

Unless you are Herbert Hoover in the 1928 game

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

Unless you're me

To be fair, when I was President when playing on Alternate History, I survived an assassination attempt... but had public opinion turn against me because people thought I was stupid for saying the assassin was just confused.

• Haha 2

Figured I would roll for some setup events.

(306) - Failure - President Pro Tem Henry Allison is designated as Virginia's Class I Senator (Success would have made him the Class II Senator from this state).  This means he has to worry about the state re-appointing him in 1790, but surely that'll be a cakewalk for the PPT? @matthewyoung123

(506) - Neutral  - (Higher than 50% on a 50/50 roll) - Senator William A. Lincoln is designated as South Carolina's Class III Senator (lower than 50% would have been Class II).  He doesn't need to worry about being re-appointed until 1794. @The Blood

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I would like to be Gov. Thomas Dobb of Virginia. Age 39.

A Liberal-Conservative Jeffersonian (or its equivalent), similar to James Madison.

Dobb is a well-educated Aristocrat and lawyer. He comes from the wealthy Dobb dynasty which has played a pivotal role in Virginia politics since Jamestown. He graduated from William & Mary top of his class and is a successful lawyer and planter. Key contributor to the Founding Documents, Dobb served in the Continental Congress for most of his career, but has recently been elected Governor of Virginia.

A leader to many in the intellectual republican movement, his writings are relatively well known across the country, particularly his essays on Constitutional Law, which have been pivotal to the new Constitution itself, Dobb of course was important in securing ratification in Virginia.

Slavery will be a tricky subject for Dobb, who personally abhors the institution but whose family legacy and wealth is tied to the hideous blot. Nevertheless, he is a fierce leader on individual and local rights and has been called by some a Father of American Liberty and even the Constitution itself.

@Pringles prongle reminder

Edited by Dobs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Based 1

Francis Marlon - Governor of South Carolina - Aged 47

Background: Francis Marlon, born in the Carolina Lowcountry, was a Brigadier General in the Revolutionary War. Born on his family's plantation, Marlon had a very rough youth due to a drunkard father. At the age of 15, he took a job on a merchant ship bound for the West Indies. During this voyage, his ship was caught in a terrible storm that left him and a few crewmates stranded at sea. Through sheer survival and grit, Marlon and what was left of his fellow crewmates managed to return to land after a couple of weeks. 

Upon returning to the family plantation, Marlon would help work the plantation and hunt in his free time. Marlon would enlist in the South Carolina Militia during the French and Indian War, quickly rising through the ranks and being seen by many as a war hero. Marlon's quick temper and ferocious battle behavior made him feared by many, both enemy and ally alike. Being in South Carolina, most of the fighting Marlon was involved in was focused on the Cherokee Indians, allies of the French. Marlon would be noted for learning the tactics of the Savages and employing their own if not even greater brutal tactics against them to achieve victory. 

Eventually, once the Revolutionary War began, Marlon profoundly identified with the cause of the Patriots as a veteran of the French and Indian War. Who felt disillusioned with the British treatment of colonial citizens that fought for the Crown in their war. 

As time went on Marlon would make a profound name for himself in keeping General Cornwallis's Army at bay in the Carolinas thanks to his aggressive guerilla warfare tactics. Earning him the nickname: Swamp Fox. Marlon's knack for tactics earned the gratitude of his superiors. Yet many soldiers who served under Marlon also greatly admired their commander, thanks to Marlon's profane, down-to-earth personality and his willingness to speak directly with his men. Marlon could be angered very easily, and preferred his men well dressed and in top shape outside of battle, much to the chagrin of those who he deemed "lazy bums."

Following the Revolutionary War, Marlon found himself entering politics, though his disdain for more intricate political affairs is well known, partly due to his upbringing as not one of the aristocratic elite, but of the more common landowner. While Marlon is largely friendly to the Carolina Elite for now, his connections are much more profound with those like him, and his fellow veterans, an important distinction to make from Senator William Lincoln of South Carolina @The Blood, who was appointed by him in order to appease the different factions vying for power in South Carolina. Marlon is seen as a champion of his people's interests. He's ambitious and brazen, yet very controversial to the elite establishment. Prone to insulting rivals in their face, and engaging in belligerent behavior, including a fondness for drinking. His future is unclear, but there are those surrounding him who are willing to follow him to the Gates of Hell and get their man in power. It is up to him if he wants to achieve his true destiny, and ultimately, greatness from small beginnings. 

Edited by Pringles
  • Like 1
  • Based 1

8 minutes ago, Euri said:

Seeing all these governors makes me wonder how we got the Constitution ratified at all

The Massachusetts compromise must be more expansive I guess, work on the bill of rights continues in the .... wherever the President is to work before we build a more proper place.

Edited by Imperator Taco Cat
No spoilers

7 minutes ago, Euri said:

Seeing all these governors makes me wonder how we got the Constitution ratified at all

To be fair, I did ratify it, just after some negotiations 😛 

• Based 1

Just like in real life, Virginia is filled to the brim with political talent. Where we had Madison, Monroe, Jefferson, Washington, Patrick Henry, etc now we’ve got our own slate of Feds and Anti-Feds. 

5 hours ago, Cal said:

If no one else has done so, would it be okay for Benedict Ward to have been the senior general at the conclusion of the Revolutionary War but to have not sought office? 

I'd say @Hestia has a claim perhaps but you two can work it out and I'm fine with whatever.  Keep in mind though, since I've seen a bit of it, the actual "AMPU" mechanics don't actually apply etc.

10 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I'd say @Hestia has a claim perhaps but you two can work it out and I'm fine with whatever.  Keep in mind though, since I've seen a bit of it, the actual "AMPU" mechanics don't actually apply etc.

@Cal I'm fine if you want it! I just included that he was 'upper level' and tried to keep it loose, but didn't really intend for him to be the exact head of everything. 

After dinner I'm gonna post a new actual game thread (and keep this thread for character sign ups because people can join at any time) with a prologue covering the Pres Election before we really get going tomorrow with a formal report/turn structure.  But it will mean you can start shit talking people in character, so that'll be fun.

• Like 2
  • Based 1