The Political Lounge

(Board game) Mr. President: The American Presidency

MrPotatoTed

14 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

I ordered mine earlier this week and it shipped pretty quick. Expecting it on Monday

Yup I just got the notification and mine arrives thursday!

I think when I get the game I want to make Congress a lot more simulated and realistic, I like how the current game simulates them but I want actual opponents to fuck up my plans. Also does the game not take into account midterms?

5 minutes ago, Blockmon said:

Yup I just got the notification and mine arrives thursday!

I think when I get the game I want to make Congress a lot more simulated and realistic, I like how the current game simulates them but I want actual opponents to fuck up my plans. Also does the game not take into account midterms?

Yes, there are midterm elections, but I haven't survived long enough to get to that point yet. 

Also, there are congressional opponents, and they most certainly screw up your plans.  They oppose legislation, can cause gridlock, and can talk trash about you in the media, lowering your public approval.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blockmon said:

Just the question with GMT. Since they released the p500 and are shipping. How long will it take to be shipped?

Again sorry for hijacking the thread

I ordered mine in 2020 and it's supposed to be here on Tuesday.

(Yes, really.)

Australia - We conduct a joint anti-terrorism operation with our allies Down Under, getting closer to being ready to take out a terror cell in the Asia/Pacific region.

They then greatly reduce a terror cell on their own.

Australia fully commits to helping us eliminate the Taliban from Afghanistan, increasing our strength in the region.  

We work with Israel to successfully increase Middle East stability.  

Israel then conducts a cyber attack against Iran's critical government infrastructure, successfully destabilizing the rogue nation.  They lose one influence marker and the loss of Iran's support causes the largest terror cell in the middle east to decrease in size.

India engages in border fighting in Kashimir, leading to an increase in the India vs. Pakistan conflict.

The Taliban in Afghanistan increase their war strength vs. the US by +1.  

The rogue state in the Middle East increases to a level 2 rogue state.

THREE CIVIL WARS break out in the Middle East.  Hey, remember when my goal was to make sure I eliminated all civil wars or else there would be a really bad situation, thanks to the crisis my predecessor left behind for me to deal with?

Oh boy...

My relationship with the media drops below neutral.

I begin slowly improving the efficiency of my cabinet and improving the economy, though these will be long-term efforts that don't have an immediate impact.

I then hit the media circuit, improving my media relations to neutral.

Legislative session!

The total lack of bipartisanship means neither my immigration bill nor my opponents' tax reform can even try to be passed.

Support for my immigration bill decreases due to a media campaign against my policies here.  

My opponents introduce a new proposal to increase NASA funding (public priority 3).  The good news is their decision here gave me two desperately needed action points!

My enemies spin the media's story about this legislative session against me, dropping my public approval to 24%.

image.png.d8c0564d759bc5932bd03f662bf86a5e.png

A level 2 terror group pops up in the Eurozone, attacking London, Paris, Madrid, etc.  I need to find a way to remove it before it causes even more problems.

image.png.f4976e6f3f2cb845b102b1f69ab09745.png

I spend my brand new 2 AP to try to calm things down...but fail.  Saudi Arabia/Gulf States go to war against Iran!

The war between Iran and Saudi Arabia/Gulf States causes a major regional crisis.  Regional stability drops, regional crisis level increases, Middle East alignment turns further away from the US, a new level-two terror group pops up, refugees cause further instability and a worsening economy in the Eurozone...

And this happens.

image.png.36f8cc1ea86b65e6855ba704b955a4ee.png

Ugh, remember when South America was the ONE area I didn't have to worry about?

32 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

The war between Iran and Saudi Arabia/Gulf States causes a major regional crisis.  Regional stability drops, regional crisis level increases, Middle East alignment turns further away from the US, a new level-two terror group pops up, refugees cause further instability and a worsening economy in the Eurozone...

And this happens.

image.png.36f8cc1ea86b65e6855ba704b955a4ee.png

Ugh, remember when South America was the ONE area I didn't have to worry about?

Are they Communist?

2 hours ago, Willthescout7 said:

My copy got here today

I hate all of you.  Hahaha.

Pretty sure that everyone that bought it on this forum did so after hearing me talk about it in the past couple weeks...yet MY game still hasn't arrived even though I placed my order in 2020.  Haha.

• Sad 1

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

Pretty sure that everyone that bought it on this forum did so after hearing me talk about it in the past couple weeks...yet MY game still hasn't arrived even though I placed my order in 2020.  Haha.

Turns out the early bird does not, in fact, get the worm

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

To be fair, I did order it back in 2016.  It's been a long time in the making.  I'm hoping AMPU doesn't follow a similar path.

• Haha 1

We make significant strides in tracking down multiple (in fact, most) terror cells in the Middle East.

President Me personally helps de-escalate the conflict between Iran and Israel.  Approval rating increases to 26%.

Vice President Lewis hosts a summit with China, where both sides agree to work together to get South America calm again.  We decrease the regional crisis level (which was previously on the brink).  We remove a tension from China.  In return, China gets more trade -- they now have the strongest economy in the nation.  Whoops.

At the same summit, VP Lewis successfully negotiates better relations with China, in exchange for China getting an even stronger economy.  Should be fiiiiine.

Chief of Staff Kim Richards tries to discredit one of our Congressional opponents, but fails.

She then tries to improve bipartisanship and succeeds, meaning Congress can now consider passing bills again!

Secretary of State Ellen Price arranges for crisis relief in the Eurozone, helping the terror attack victims and bringing the region back from the brink of a regional crisis disaster.

Secretary of War John Long moves a carrier from the Eastern Pacific to the Indian Ocean, to help us annihilate the Taliban in Afghanistan (I believe right now I have 3:1 odds against them now).  (Is there a limit to only one carrier per ocean square?  I couldn't find anything to say one way or the other, so I'm assuming no limit -- and it's just a question of putting your eggs all in one basket (my approach) versus spreading yourself out to cover issues all over the globe.

Secretary of War John Long also overseas a major arms deal to our close ally Saudi Arabia, to help even the playing field in their war against the superior Iran.  

We're officially 9 months into the Presidency!

China launches a cyberattack on Japan and South Korea, lowering my relations with both countries and gaining even more influence in the region (after they already built a base there).

They launch another cyber attack discrediting us and replacing us as a major trade partner in the region, building up even more influence the Asia/Pacific region.  Um...is it possible for an enemy nation to get TWO bases in one region?

China then tests their cyberwarfare capabilities against the US economy.  Though our homeland security ultimately defeats their attempt, they're still partially successful.  

Our economic recovery slows down and stays in stagnation.    My approval rating drops to 22%.  Tension increases in China.  

Our relationship with China officially plummets to "Cold War" status.

What the heck happened, China?  You promised the Vice President you were going to be cool!

President Me successfully improves our domestic crisis, making the US a crisis-free zone.  Huzzah!  Approval rating skyrockets to...24%.

President Me makes another major arms sale to Saudi Arabia, giving them another boost in their war against Iran.

President Me hits the media circuit, improving my approval rating to 28%.

My approval rating hits a sky high 32%!

The India vs. China conflict heats up again.

Speaking of heat...

image.png.505de48660ccf9e58626f9f826fa499b.png

We follow the "C" instructions at the top left for now, but it will get worse down the line since there's next to no chance of me getting anything through Congress these days.  I get a domestic crisis again and my approval rating falls back to 28%.  Well.  That was fun while it lasted.

We conduct a series of successful joint anti-terrorism actions with the UK across the Eurozone and Eastern Europe.

The UK then goes on their own anti-terror campaign, cutting into the recent terror cell that attacked London, Paris, and Madrid.

Japan helps stabilize the Asian/Pacific region, taking the regional crisis level down to zero.

North Korea helps grow a terror cell in the Asia/Pacific region.

The United Nations conducts humanitarian aid in Eastern Europe, preventing a pending regional crisis.

The United Nations provides infrastructure aid in Central/South Asia, improving the regional stability from the lowest level.

The UN provides a youth empowerment program in the Asia Pacific region, successfully reducing a level 3 terror group to level 2 (essentially undoing what North Korea did).

The UN tries to get permanent peace in a African civil war that currently has a ceasefire...but it backfires.  The war renews, the ceasefire is violated, and a level 2 terror cell in Africa becomes level 3.  Golly, UN.  Golly.

President Me successfully handles the domestic heating crisis.  (It'll still recur if i don't get an infrastructure bill signed, but for now we'll be okay).  Approval rating increases to 32%!

President Me tries to go above and beyond by addressing a lingering domestic crisis, but fails.  My approval falls back to 30%.

President Me tries to improve the efficiency of my cabinet, but fails.

image.png.f579ac26c488d566a3a02a6c6b6c27f5.png
Hahaha, fuck you, China.

image.png.beb81f5253f0466fef592f9a8bdc5019.png
Crap.  I choose to appoint an independent counsel.  Approval rating 32%.  Relationship with Congress was already as bad as it could get.  My relationship with my party falls.  

My Chief of Staff Kim Richards, one of my best worker bees, resigns over the fundraising scandal.  My public approval falls to 28%.  My relationship with my party falls yet again.  But at least the long-term crisis is averted!  Into the discard pile this goes.

After reviewing my randomly-selected shortlist, I choose Krista Hallsten as my new Chief of Staff.  She's the obvious choice, as she offers a -1 on domestic action rolls (just like Kelly) and also gets an extra bonus action (just like Allen) -- best of both worlds.

image.png.df3d6b2f47112d9515a6bdb97d57f007.png

Saudi Arabia's war vs. Iran: Saudi Arabia is slowly losing.

Saudi Arabia's war vs. Yemen: Saudi Arabia is technically losing this war too -- though the truth is Yemen just doesn't have the manpower to hold out much longer.

US vs. Taliban in Afghanistan: 

WE WIN! 

My troop surge (giving us 3:1 odds) was exactly what we needed.  The US officially defeats the Taliban...in Afghanistan.  But the organization still exists, becoming three level-two terror cells: one in South/Central Asia, one in the Middle East, and one in Africa.  The rogue state is removed.  Public approval goes up to 32%.  Party relations increase.  My legacy points increase by +1.  

Edited by MrPotatoTed