The Political Lounge

Senate gets rid of official dress code.

vcczar

I approve. I would refuse to wear a tie were I a Senator. I hate ties. Well, I like how some ties look (bow ties), but I always feel strangled by them. I couldn’t support this move more. I look forward to seeing Senators dress as they’d prefer to dress. We’ll get to see more of the real person rather than forced conformity. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Based 1

I personally like wearing suits. Bow ties, and long ties. I think the whole ordeal is funny but anybody genuinely thinking that it is the end of the fucking world that Fetterman can now wear his gym shorts to the floor, while nobody bats an eye when Kyrsten Sinemas's crazy ass comes in the way she does... it's whatever. 

• Like 1

I’d probably just wear my normal clothes when voting. Nothing indecent. I’d occasionally wear a jacket. I wear jeans 100% every day so I’d continue to do that on the senate floor. I tend to wear vintage button up shirts with the sleeves rolled up. I wouldn’t dress up if I were president either, except for maybe state dinners and funerals. Strangely, at state of the unions I’d want everyone to dress like it’s 1776. 

7 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Echo @vcczar's sentiment on ties, but view this as an L overall. These people are public servants, representing not only themselves, but their constituents as well. The least they can do is dress the part.

Most constituents don’t wear ties to work, I’d wager. Doing so would probably be misrepresentation. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

I approve. I would refuse to wear a tie were I a Senator. I hate ties. Well, I like how some ties look (bow ties), but I always feel strangled by them. I couldn’t support this move more. I look forward to seeing Senators dress as they’d prefer to dress. We’ll get to see more of the real person rather than forced conformity. 

I do agree with you on the principle that a Senator is not elected for his/her outfit but for his or her style and ideology as well as personnality.

I love ties but I wouldn't force people to wear some, however I love the party color play with the ties, I find this very good.

It is true however that an official outfit is not at all confortable to work even more when you have weight variations.

I also am a very huge fan of pins.

I am glad that this mode is growing rapidly.

Edited by Edouard

Perhaps this is an unpopular take, but I’d prefer that we maintain some standards of decorum when it comes to what our politicians wear (I’d also like them to exercise standards with each other but that isn’t the topic at hand). Honestly, the cynical side of my brain tells me that the standards are being lowered for people who are no longer physically or mentally fit for the job, such as Fetterman and McConnell.

• Based 1

5 hours ago, Pius XIII said:

Perhaps this is an unpopular take, but I’d prefer that we maintain some standards of decorum when it comes to what our politicians wear (I’d also like them to exercise standards with each other but that isn’t the topic at hand). Honestly, the cynical side of my brain tells me that the standards are being lowered for people who are no longer physically or mentally fit for the job, such as Fetterman and McConnell.

I'm not in favor of a dress code, but I am in favor of mental and physical evaluations for candidacy during primaries. This isn't to bar them from running, but to be transparent, so voters are better informed. I think there should be more rules to remove someone from office because of age or other factors that would limit the ability for one to work from 6am-10pm every day. This would encourage exercise but not force it. 

On 9/17/2023 at 11:26 PM, DakotaHale said:

Echo @vcczar's sentiment on ties, but view this as an L overall. These people are public servants, representing not only themselves, but their constituents as well. The least they can do is dress the part.

I think if constituents see their Congressmen’s dress as unrepresentative and/or an issue, then they can simply vote them out.