The Political Lounge

If you could live in any historical era, which would it be?

Fbarbarossa

5 hours ago, Dobs said:

The classic Patine cut and run with the fool projection grenade to boot.

Textbook, old bean!

I am here for calling people old bean.  This should absolutely become a thing.

Who need time travel, when we can just take the best parts of the past and use them today?  ;c)

• Based 1

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

@Pringles @Dobs @Kitten @Rezi @jvikings1 Now, to make a final address of this, now that I'm calm. The word, "realistically," is essential. Albeit, it is to my view of realism, I admit, and I did mean to put to more qualifiers, like, "most likely," or, "it would make sense," and such, but I typed it quickly. However, it was obviously irrestistable material for the posters who already (except typically @jvikings1) a long history of such primary school-level hijinks of embarrassing and foolish behaviour, feeling the need to validate themselves from time to time by acting a decade or younger, for some reason. @Pringles, in his haste to make gaffe-like jeers, also accused me of getting my info from, "movies and TV shows," when my post actually specifically showed a complete disagreement - in my view of realism - with all movie and TV portrayals of the topic. This isn't the first time he responded to a post of mine with a jeer - or, at times, an angry rant or excoriation - that he had misread or miscomprehended, and was going on a false view of what I was saying. It SHOULD be embarrassing to be @Pringles, but he seems to have no shame at all - how pitiful. Anyways, that's my final word on the issue, CHILDREN.

I don't see why you tagged me in this @Patine Like I just said that Pringles and I should go back in time to campaign for Nixon in 1960.

@Patine

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

@Pringles @Dobs @Kitten @Rezi @jvikings1 Now, to make a final address of this, now that I'm calm. The word, "realistically," is essential. Albeit, it is to my view of realism, I admit, and I did mean to put to more qualifiers, like, "most likely," or, "it would make sense," and such, but I typed it quickly. However, it was obviously irrestistable material for the posters who already (except typically @jvikings1) a long history of such primary school-level hijinks of embarrassing and foolish behaviour, feeling the need to validate themselves from time to time by acting a decade or younger, for some reason. @Pringles, in his haste to make gaffe-like jeers, also accused me of getting my info from, "movies and TV shows," when my post actually specifically showed a complete disagreement - in my view of realism - with all movie and TV portrayals of the topic. This isn't the first time he responded to a post of mine with a jeer - or, at times, an angry rant or excoriation - that he had misread or miscomprehended, and was going on a false view of what I was saying. It SHOULD be embarrassing to be @Pringles, but he seems to have no shame at all - how pitiful. Anyways, that's my final word on the issue, CHILDREN.

I still want my proof. @Patine

There was no need to tag all of us as well @Patine

There's only one person here that embarrassed themselves. And it's no one you tagged. @Patine

You also misspelled irresistible. @Patine

I disagree with @Patineand I think that @Patine's excessive tagging is unnecessary, which annoys me with @Patine in this moment. I think @Patineshould issue a formal apology for his actions tagging so many of us, and @Patinewould make me appreciate it if @Patinemade that apology. @Patine 

1 minute ago, Patine said:

You are so shameless, and full of self-righteous conceit. It's time to look in the mirror, @Pringles, and stop PRETENDING you have any high ground in any sort of area over me, here. You have become the biggest ass and troll on this forum, and quite some time ago, whether you accept that fact or continue to live in denial. Now GROW UP, already!

Emperor Palpatine "Ironic" | Star wars stickers, Star wars humor, Star wars  love

1 minute ago, Patine said:

He has not shown me that, "shining and exemplar," face, and these, "Doblets," do him no service by defending him, refusing to advise him to can his toxicity, and even joining in his ridiculous carrying on. Also, if you're view of him is sincere, you must refuse to read the majority of posts he makes toward me, frankly...

Sounds like a you problem

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

He has not shown me that, "shining and exemplar," face, and these, "Doblets," do him no service by defending him, refusing to advise him to can his toxicity, and even joining in his ridiculous carrying on. Also, if you're view of him is sincere, you must refuse to read the majority of posts he makes toward me, frankly...

ratio 

Just now, Patine said:

Actually, I do read most of his posts, I usually stay on the periphery of these arguments because I'm not adept at the fast-paced memeing of these events, and I don't want to feel like I'm crossing a personal line for behavior in getting carried away with it. But that also doesn't mean I condemn Pringles, Kitten, Dobs(Hey look, I said all those names without a ping!) or anyone else involved for their actions, when most of the time you encourage this behavior with your hostile and argumentative attitude. Surprisingly, Patine, when you throw yourself into arguments posting paragraph-after-paragraph of ranting with seemingly little grasp on our language, the response you receive won't be composed or crafted seriously. It honestly bamboozles me that you've gone so long on this forum and have never thought to change your conduct, as that is the root of what draws people into clowning on you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Your position here is one of solid personal bias. It's unfortunate that it is your guideline for viewpoint in these matters. Nepotism occurs at all social strata and environments, not as as source of government, business, and military corruption - but it is not to be admired or praised wherever it appears. You are obviously willfully blind to the obnoxious conduct of your friends, and thus distort your vision so I must be edged into taking the heat for all unpleasantness involved, regardless of actual insight. It is, as I said, unfortunate.

Patine, we all have our biases. I know you have your own bias in this conversation, towards yourself and your position. But my own bias towards Pringles does not negate my ability to understand the situation and see how arguments such as these can be avoided in the future, and suggesting that I am blinded by a nepotistic bias towards my friends is honestly insulting. Because I read these conversations, I see the conduct of all parties involved and sometimes, I will admit, I feel as though things are being carried out for too long and the situation should be resolved. Just because you can't understand my perspective does not mean it is corrupted by bias, I have my own opinions and instead of lashing out because I disagree with your usual conduct, maybe you should listen to what I'm saying and offer the same respect to me that I've offered you in this thread by actually engaging with you instead of just posting Lou Bega's most popular song.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Patine said:

If you cannot, in all sincerity, call out, or concede, any of Pringles' toxic conduct - including starting incidents, outright, deliberate trolling, and statements and namecalling that are completely out-of-line, or feel, somehow, his responsibility is non-existent just because he's because he's responding to me, than, indeed, I do seriously question your ability, "to understand the situation and see how arguments such as these can be avoided in the future," and you are practically tantamount to admitting being, "blinded by a nepotistic bias towards my friends." I'm sorry if this insults you - it is meant as a frank analysis of forum interactions, and there's a number of posters on this forum - Pringles, definitely, included - who don't seem to give a damn about what may or may not insult me.

Well, if you'll read what I said, I clearly stated that sometimes I think the argument has gone on for too long, and that means I do think people, including Pringles, have gone too far in the past in prodding at you. But I don't view it through the lens of toxicity, I view it through the lens of people having fun with an angry and argumentative person and dragging the thread on for too long.

But you can't seem to understand that I have a different, totally valid perspective independent from your own, so you blame it on nepotism, all while attempting to preserve your own sense of self-righteousness by claiming you're only doing it as a "frank analysis of forum interactions". If you don't want to address my views on your conduct, that's fine, but don't attempt to pin negative character traits onto my points, and don't try to obfuscate the fact that some people have different perspectives than you by boiling it all down to bias.

Honestly, you talk about Pringles' "toxic conduct", but you never seem able to address your own toxicity. Because you're in the one in this thread who has attacked Pringles again and again rather than address your own conduct. You're the one who has attempted to state that his online friends are fake because they won't call him out. You're the one who would rather attack someone for nepotism than address their points. I usually try and meet you with sympathy Patine, because I want to meet all Humans with a minimum level of good-will, but quite frankly you need to have some introspection and see the narcissism and toxicity that I see in your posts. You're someone who can't bear to address other people's points and who hides behind "frank analysis" to claim personal failing as the root of their argument. Someone who can't evaluate their own behavior and shows no signs of introspection when everyone around them, be it through genuine interaction with their points or Mambo No. 5 posting, is pointing to a problem in their conduct online. I will admit you've gotten on my nerves this evening; you've insulted both me and my friends. But I guess you could say I'm stating these things out of a "frank analysis of forum interactions", and my analysis is that you need to look at yourself and actually address your own behavior instead of insulting other people and lashing out. I understand if the memes and posting feel overwhelming, like an organized personal attack on you, but maybe there's a reason people mess with you, and maybe if you look through this thread you can spot the argumentative and self-absorbed posts which would incite a negative reaction from others. Put frankly, fix yourself, Patine, maybe if you engage here positively the memes will fade away and this community will be better for it.

Edited by The Blood
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

These are my three responses to your post, and maybe you'll give them some thought, as I'll mull over the more valid points of yours posts (and you do have some). But I will not drag this out into a big fight.

I appreciate your willingness to deescalate the conversation and express an openness to at least a few of my points. While I stand by everything I said, and don't think previous apologies or insults directed at you change anything given your continuing and recent conduct, I do understand your perspective and how all this may seem to you. As I said, I always try and meet people with a minimum of good-will, and even as your behavior has crossed a personal line of mine on this thread, that standard remains. Regardless, I have other things to be doing, so I guess that is that for now, Patine.

Edited by The Blood
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, Fbarbarossa said:

The title explains it, the only thing I'll add is don't say anything like the 80s, pick a pre modern era.

First thing first, I am happy of the time we currently live in

I do believe, despite everything we live, that we are lucky to have today's confort.

Besides this point here are all historic things which already fascinated me :

I would have loved to hear the real sound of Napoleon's voice and his face (besides paintings which were certainly good)

I would have loved to watch how masses were being given in medieval times, great gathering of priests

I would have loved to see by my own eyes historical battles particulary Alésia, Gergovia, Azincourt, Marignan, Austerlitz, Waterloo

I would have loved to visit castles which have disappeared nowadays such as Saint Clous and the Tuileries.

I would have loved to witness the french revolution as well as the american one, those moments where men invented and theorized modernity.

I would have loved to see how Ancient Greece used to be, particulary great religious gatherings and edifices such as the oracle of Delphe.

Notre Dame is actually built on a former greeko-roman temple.

I was shocked recently to imagine and to be aware that in a thousand years, people will be able to have videos and good recording of who we were even when we will be gone since as much as those who built cathedrals, because technology will have made it possible, like we already have footages of lifes from the early XXth century thanks to technology (but in black and white).

Now we control the time, we might die, our passage will be preserved in HD, what I would like to see (but not to live) is within a society what we never actually witnessed, the old one.

We hopefully live at a time where most of the world fate is stabilized, but any short change from a thousand years ago may have terribly impacted nowadays' history, and this is the reason why I would have loved to get the chance to experience (but not live) in several of the periods above.

• Based 1

On 3/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, Patine said:

Listen. Feel free to be in as poor as control of the English language as you want. Be as poorly informed, as poorly in control of your emotions, as poorly self-regulated, in as poor humor, as obnoxiously aggressive as suits you.

But never, never, attack my Doblets.

• Based 1